Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » The Palms Apartments 4 Sale 2.6 Mil « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always loved The Palms. Albert Kahn designed I think; the apartments are huge and the roof view is fantastic. In Chicago, a single unit in a building like this would be a Million.

oh well, Detroit, land of opportunity.

http://www.loopnet.com/propert y/14843289/1001-E-Jefferson/

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 777
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the Palms was built there were 2 small "bachelor" apartments in the front of the building. Then there was an enormous 9 room apartment running along each side of the building. These were of the long hall variety with the parlor in front and the dining room in the rear.

Palms

(Sorry about the floor plan being upside down. I tried my best, really.)

The Palms is U shaped with a 6 story stairwell which wraps around the elevator. The stairs are lit by a series of leaded glass paned windows which look out on the service court.

All of the large apartments have been severely broken into much smaller units.

Along the ground floor of the Rivard side are a series of old bottle glass windows. This space used to be a restaurant. The tenants in the small, front, kitchenless apartments could have their meals sent up to their units. The space is now an office.

I would recommend walking into the outer lobby, through the very heavy metal and glass doors. Notice the woodwork and the floor mosaic tile.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 547
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's buy it Gnome! I got thirty-five, nooo..thirty-SEVEN dollars I can put towards it.
:-)

But seriously..wouldn't ya love to win the lotto and live this fantasy?

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 826
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live there in 96-97. My studio was tiny.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 309
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have $7 I won in the lotto last night to contribute! :-)

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 290
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iseries,

How did you like living there?

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had two friends who lived in that building in early 90's. One as small interior apt., and the other a larger one that I will never forget. Just beautiful.

That building fascinates me. I'm holding my breath that someone good buys it.

No one would tear it down, would they?

Anyone have any pictures of interiors?

Neilr, any way you can get a better picture of the floor plans up? I want to be able to see it so badly!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, I looked at the pix on the link that Gnomes posted and I want to see more!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could I interest you in a cozy castle, right down the street from the King K. Only 500 G's and its yours.
http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Ma inSite/Listing/Profile/Profile .aspx?LID=15592897&StepID=101& RecentlyViewed=true&ItemIndex= 12&PgCxtDir=Down

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG! 499? Why, oh why can't I just win ONE lottery?

Here's what I would do. Buy both the Palms and the Castle and any other super awesome pieces of Detroit. Then I would slowly lose all of my lottery winnings - but hey, you only live once and for how long we have no way of knowing.

Meanwhile, I would go from building to building just touching them and loving them and living in them and letting good people live in them for a fair amount.

Please, God, let me win the lottery!

And God says, "be careful what you wish for". *sigh*

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 551
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad im an ordinary, working man just getting by. That would be a dream come true for me. THATS rental property with architectural integrity and a prime location.

Blueidone

Post Number: 310
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath...I'll be your bookkeeper so you won't lose it so fast...as long as I can go with you to touch and love these exquisite buildings and keep them in use for the citizens of the D.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blue, I bet I'm going to dream about being in mansions and long hallways tonight. It happens a lot.

Thanks for being my bookkeeper. We can sit on the Palms rooftop and drink martinis while counting the money that we're slowly (thanks to your brilliance with numbers)losing!

God, that would be fun.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever tinkered with the idea of forming a corporation out of lots of shareholders to save something significant(ie. Train Station) and funding the restoration through shareholders and fund rasing events. Then use the income from the newly renovated structure to start funding other restorations.

Blueidone

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath: The guy I work for is a real estate developer, who is actually trying to build some tax credit housing on the east side (already has some...wants more). I e-mailed him the link and told him to forget building new and buy this building instead. Somehow I don't think he will follow my advice though!

Neilr

Post Number: 778
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The front door

front door

The staircase

The lobby

lobby

These photos are from an old rental brochure. The floor plans, posted earlier, are from deep in my files.

Neilr

Post Number: 779
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More interior photos from the aforementioned brochure.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5278
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful place, good posts. I've long marvelled at this building.

I hope that it is thoughtfully upgraded and preserved.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WWI era photo of the Palms

I might be wrong, but it looks like there is a Detroit Electric Motor Car sitting out front on Jefferson. Pre air-conditioning. The window awnings are sort of funny looking.

Greebomusic
Username: Greebomusic

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've stayed in the bed and breakfast next to the castle several times (the white building south in the birdseye view.. wonder if it's still in operation?). Same owners as the castle back then. They'd rent it for receptions and such. Also mentioned it was used as a boarding school at some point. Both beautiful and contrasting images of Detroit architecture.

Blueidone

Post Number: 313
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great building! So much character! Those pictures make me want to see the whole inside of it. They just don't build things like that anymore.

That "castle" is gorgeous as well. I want to buy them both!! I hope someone with the ability to keep the character of these buildings buys them.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 829
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rfban,

The apartment was too small but the location was great. It was pretty quiet at the time and I had some nice neighbors. The only negatives were the lack of parking and the ancient elevator.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 703
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new owners show expand the apartments.

Would be nice. Great location.

<313>

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 556
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I recall right, the building was an early use of reinforced concrete in non-industrial construction.

Those brochure pictures are really nice. I had no idea the inside was so nice. For those buildings I just assume that there was some modernization at some point.

If I was filthy rich, I'd pick my favorite spot in the city, and I'd buy everything there, renovate the buildings and do infill for the rest. And I'm pretty sure it would be profitable too.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just wish i could live safely in any one of the beautiful homes or apartment in detroit. i am wishing i could because mom and dad are 85 and 86 and not in good health. i want to come home but not at the cost of the thugs that will take advantage of me.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 704
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel you daustin..

I don't like the Mayor either....

:-)

<313>

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 368
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried desperately to look at an apt there, but the management never showed up during any of our scheduled viewings. It made me mad because I was pretty much sold on the place from the begining. I hope the buyers run a tighter ship.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.