Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Odd traffic light changes..... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5497
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have recently noticed that some traffic lights in the area have changed formats. Sometimes when I make left turns I see a major change in order of the lights. Many intersections have left-turn blinking reds….these blinking reds usually then turn into a green turn arrow. I have now noticed some left lights that remain blinking red, then turn into a solid red…they never display a green arrow, even though there are three lights in the signal. Anyone notice this change or is the light just screwed up? I have seen this in Detroit and the burbs.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 271
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed a general lack of uniformity when it comes to these left turn lights. Some go before the green, others after the green, even in the same municipality. I crept thru one light on Groesbeck out of habit, totally thinking it to be the opposite of what it was, and nearly got creemed. Then I watched other people do the exact same thing. Others, as you've indicated, have a completely different light set up from one light to the next. Twelve and Southfield has one set up while Twelve and Evergreen has a completely different set up. Both are in Southfield. It's pretty damn confusing, if not dangerous.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2000
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just throwing this out there, but isn't the timing irrelevant? Go when it's green, stop when it's not.

Many lights don't have a set order, and they change state depending on what traffic is where. Protected left turns may never occur without traffic waiting to turn, or may occur in only one direction.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3354
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It makes it kind of dangerous when you're used to a certain light pattern, and you pull up to a light that rotates through a different pattern. You expect the green arrow to come on after the flashing red so you're out in the intersection waiting for the arrow, and the light turns red, then your ass is in the way of oncoming traffic.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan is one of only two states that uses the flashing red arrow for permitted left turns. However, the Federal Highway Administration has mandated that Michigan change to the new Federal standard for permitted left turns on a flashing yellow arrow:

flashing yellow

[source]

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3355
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Mike, that makes it easier to understand.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be thankful we're not the west side of the state where they get the green arrow and THEN the blinking red. That is so ass backwards its crazy.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like light in the Oakland County areas work ass backwards from the normal ones. When you are in the left turn lane waiting, the first thing that happens is that the left turn arrow comes on, then the direct forward traffic light turn green and the left turn light turn red. No Blinking.
In Wayne County the left turn light blinks red .
at the same time as the forward traffic light being green. When the forward traffic light turns red, then the left turn arrow turns green, and then solid red.
It is very confusing, and I have wondered why this is for a long time?? I am really glad that someone brought ir up.
Another interesting thing I noticed while living in Houston back 20 years ago, is that the traffic lights are mostly installed horizontally. Not vertically , like here.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I no longer live in Michigan, I find myself longing for the flashing reds. Here in Illinois, some intersections have no "solid green, no arrow" or "flashing yellow" for left-turners. It's red or green arrow, regardless of oncoming traffic. So frustrating!

Detroitgalaxian
Username: Detroitgalaxian

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone explain this strange use of a red left arrow combined with a solid red ball?
http://s126964394.onlinehome.u s/ryan_web_images/redarrow.htm l

You can find this intersection on the east side of the Lodge service drive a block or two north of Grand Blvd. When the red arrow is lit, which does it mean?:

"No left turn on red at this time"
-or-
"Left turn on red allowed at this time."

I have not seen an intersection like this anywhere else. Has anyone seen this before? Am I crazy in thinking that this is poorly designed and completely unintuitive?

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 285
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that in Michigan you can turn left onto a one way street on red as long as the traffic is clear and there is no sign saying no left turn on red.

My guess is when that red arrow is showing you cannot turn on red, but when it goes away you can turn on red. In fact looking at the video and an overhead of the intersection, it looks like the "no left turn" is in effect only when the right-turning traffic on the opposite side of the intersection has a green light. When the north-bound service drive traffic has a green light, it is okay to turn left on red once the traffic has cleared.

(Message edited by hudkina on August 24, 2008)

Focusonthed

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can only make a left on red from one one-way street to another one-way street. You can't cross a lane of opposing traffic to make a left on red.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 286
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually you can, as long as the road you are turning onto is one-way.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc. aspx?mcl-257-612

look under section 1(c)(ii)

"Vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal, after stopping before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or at a limit line when marked or, if there is no crosswalk or limit line, before entering the intersection, may make a right turn from a 1-way or 2-way street into a 2-way street or into a 1-way street carrying traffic in the direction of the right turn or may make a left turn from a 1-way or 2-way street into a 1-way roadway carrying traffic in the direction of the left turn, unless prohibited by sign, signal, marking, light, or other traffic control device. The vehicular traffic shall yield the right of way to pedestrians and bicyclists lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection."

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, have any of you driven north of the border to see another odd-ball signal. In Canada, the lights will go from red to a blinking green, which means you can make a left turn, as the opposing traffic still has a red. The lights then go to a solid green for traffic in both directions. This can be confusing.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6178
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitgalaxian, I was surprised I wasn't able to find that situation covered in the "Signs, Pavement Markings, and Signals" chapter of What Every Driver Must Know. It's still worth bookmarking that webpage though.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6704
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

BTW, have any of you driven north of the border to see another odd-ball signal. In Canada, the lights will go from red to a blinking green, which means you can make a left turn, as the opposing traffic still has a red. The lights then go to a solid green for traffic in both directions. This can be confusing.

They are known as "advance" or "delayed" green. When it blinks green, it means that only you have the green. Similar to the arrow. They aren't very common, and are usually only found in rural areas or small towns. There is one is Windsor, for some reason, on Walker Rd @ Highway 3.

Ndmom
Username: Ndmom

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think making things more 'complicated' for people isn't a good idea. At Moross and I-94 I see people every day who can't even read arrows.
Arrows are painted on the road and there are signs but it just doesn't seem to matter. That arrow wasn't put there for 'them' to follow.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.