Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Hobo strip » Archive through July 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 863
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Between Alexandrine and Selden some of the most disgusting obnoxious vagrants Ive encountered were loitering and panhandling in a sea of litter and stench. My friend parked on Alexandrine Friday night, I parked there Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Friday we were hit up for change by several panhandlers within a half a block.One lady appeared mentally ill and was given a quarter by my friend. Sunday I witnessed a female vagrant spit a mouthful of alcohol at one of her cohorts. Two men appearing to be in their fifties were arguing and carrying on like a couple of adolescent boys. The usual loud cuss words were audible halfway up the block.Several hobos were lurking near the entrance of the liquor store as shiftless and shady loafed on some closed storefront steps.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2614
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...such is life...

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 825
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they were filming another new movie.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The definition of a hobo is that of a wandering worker. Many men and women led this type of existence in the late 19th to mid 20th century America. They would follow field work, etc. and travel a formally prosperous America via the railroads.

Those that you encountered were bums, dope heads and derelicts. Calling them hobos is an insult to that once proud way of life.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2724
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They always hang around that cluster of service centers roughly centered on MLK and 3rd

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Engler's handiwork....

Terryh

Post Number: 865
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone mentioned to me that the Engler administration closed a clinic (Lafayette)the result being an increase in vagrancy? The clinic assisted the mentally ill in obtaining medicine and various social services? Any truth to this?

Richard_bak

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big-hearted John is responsbile for a lot of the mentally ill being left to fend for themselves on the streets after the state, looking for ways to save money, closed mental health facilities several years back.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so if it was John's fault for closing facilities that were such a great priority that everyone knows it shouldn't have been closed, isn't it Jenny's fault that they haven't been re-opened?

Terryh

Post Number: 866
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Boxcar Willie the Hobo character Country star?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The REAL Hobo Strip is on Garfield and half block east of Woodward. They get together and set this one building ablaze a few times a month. I'm amazed this thing is still even standing. Here's a picture from the most recent fire not even a week ago.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2591
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When they closed those down, I sent a letter of complaint to our friends in Lansing, and in return, received a lovely form letter detailing the facts that putting the mentally handicapped out on the street wouldn't affect the number of homeless at all, and that it made perfect sense to put people who couldn't fend for themselves while in a facility out on the streets to fend for themselves while largely unmedicated. May Fat John rot.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, Boxcar Willie was somewhat of a hobo wannabe, peddling his wares on K-tel records, I believe. Real hobo tunes are part of Americana. Do some research on "Haywire" Mac McClintock, the composer and performer of such greats as "Hallelejah, I'm a Bum" and the uncut version of "Big Rock Candy Mountain"

Nuclearxwinter
Username: Nuclearxwinter

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, that particular area is significantly worse than the surrounding blocks for some reason. I live right by there and I have actually made friends with some of the homeless people that hang around but most of them are outright crazy. I feel kind of bad for them... I've been harassed and called nasty names a number of times but none of them have ever really physically harmed me, luckily. Not yet anyways... The tomboy market is always surrounded by lots of em. I really have to keep an eye out when Im around there.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's put the partisanship aside and look at the facts:
- in 1974, the Michigan Legislature passed a bill to provide more compassionate and supportive services based in local communities where patients' families live.
- it took until 1993 for the Legislature's 1974 goal of a statewide system of community health boards responsive to local needs to finally become a reality.
- From 1980 to 1990, 14 state hospitals and centers were closed, and the adult psychiatric patient population in state facilities shrunk by 32 percent.
- by 1994, the population in state facilities had declined another 33 percent.

James Blanchard was governor from January 1, 1983 until January 1, 1991. John Engler was governor from January 1, 1991 until January 1, 2003.

Richard_bak

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember all the ins and outs of Engler's decision to close those facilities. If they haven't re-opened it's because the state is broke and most folks just don't give a shit. Bums don't have lobbyists. I just filed a long feature on the very capable and wonderfully incorruptible Frank Murphy (Detroit mayor 1930-33, MI governor 1936-38), who in the depths of the Great Depression somehow found the means to take better care of the worst-off members of "the common herd." Where there's a will, there's a way. For the longest time there's been no will, no leadership, no strategy for dealing with the homeless and mentally ill. I don't have the big answer. I'm just saying.

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any exact locations, years, etc.? i've always heard this but never had anyone tell me specifics. just curious and would like to know more!

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any exact locations, years, etc.? i've always heard this but never had anyone tell me specifics. just curious and would like to know more!"

Are you referring to previous locations of skid row areas in Detroit ?

From roughly around World War I until 1962-63 Michigan Avenue from Cass over to the Lodge Freeway was skid row. The southern boundary was roughly Howard and the northern boundary, Jones St..

Brush between Congress and Larned was another skid row area(nothing compared to Michigan Ave.). I think the Claydale and Akron hotels were torn down sometime in the 1980's. The current Sweetwater tavern was a skid row joint called the 400 Bar for years.

The Cass Corridor basically became skid row when urban renewal eliminated the Michigan Ave. area in the early 1960's. Downtown Detroit for years had a good number of flop house hotels scattered around especially the Northeast and Northwest portions.

I don't know if this is the type of information you are seeking.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im interested in any old photos ppl might have of the corridor from way back. Or where I could find some.

Anyone,, anyone??

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know WSU Virtual Motor City has a few

You may want to try typing Cass, skid row, etc. I remember a pic on on the site from the early 1960's taken around Cass & Temple.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2472
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus Christ, Terryh. Thanks for the news flash. That area has been just like that for, at the very least, the last thirty-five years.
Once you pull away from the hip, trendy "hot spots," with their espresso machines and gay/bi/trans/interracial-frien dly bistros & ristorantes, Detroit is kind of disgustin', ain't it?

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as homeless drug addicts go , they can be found in any large city . Even Toronto has some choice areas .

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday I was taking some pics of the Charlevoix Building when this woman started screaming at me "Get the f*** out of my face!" Mind you I was standing in Grand Circus Park and she was on the corner of Elizabeth and Adams. I walked half way down Bagley and she was still screaming at me. All part of the ambiance I guess, just roll with it.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 907
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Terryh

Post Number: 863
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:00 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Between Alexandrine and Selden some of the most disgusting obnoxious vagrants Ive encountered were loitering and panhandling in a sea of litter and stench. My friend parked on Alexandrine Friday night, I parked there Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Friday we were hit up for change by several panhandlers within a half a block.One lady appeared mentally ill and was given a quarter by my friend. Sunday I witnessed a female vagrant spit a mouthful of alcohol at one of her cohorts. Two men appearing to be in their fifties were arguing and carrying on like a couple of adolescent boys. The usual loud cuss words were audible halfway up the block.Several hobos were lurking near the entrance of the liquor store as shiftless and shady loafed on some closed storefront steps.

In another world this would be known as reporting back.

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the area. The main reason that there are roving 'homeless' in that area is the presence of the NSO at MLK and 3rd. This is one of the few areas in the city where there is open, hand to hand crack dealing. They may claim to be crazy, and I am sure that the Engler mental health crunch hasn't helped, but the crack is what keeps them in this area. Coffee and snacks at the NSO, then a casual stroll over to WSU, Spiral Collective area, or Woodward/ Majestic area to beg for crack fare... Pick up some crack from Tomboy Market Parking area, get buzzed up and harass some people, then stagger back to the NSO....

Move the NSO and the entire area will see a reduction in homelessness, petty and property crime, and begging.

Where there are crumbs, there are rodents.

Just my $.02

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moving the NSO does not solve the problem. All it does is make is someone else's. The fact is that entire part of the City is full of services for the indigient. YOu can't move all of the services, even if you could, you would just create problems elsewhere. How about moving it to Beal City Michigan? :-)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2203
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that whole area is what we refer to as bum beach

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7502
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Instead of complaining about the homeless problems. Be a Christian, Muslim or a Jew and start giving to charity. Build hospitals for the sick and mentally ill, build shelters for the homeless, give them jobs, you never know what skills they have and in return God will open up the windows of heaven and pour out a blessing.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2993
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't remember all the ins and outs of Engler's decision to close those facilities."

Ronald Reagan and his anti-american Privatization Cult members are the ones ultimately responsible for destroying the mental health infrastructure of the USA. It predates Engler, and much of the funding for such facilities was Federal, or connected to Federal monies.

Ayn Rand-atcha !

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11907
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I am sure the people that run the NSO believe they are doing good work they manage their facility and 'clients' with complete disregard for the residents of the area.

The amount of trash directly aroudn the NSO is appalling. The fact that they care so little about the residents in the immediate area makes me wonder how committed they are to the area they are located in.

Requiring the people staying there clean up the garbage wouldn't be an unreasonable expectation buthe leadership at the NSO seem to take a 'if it isn't in my 4 walkks I don't care approach"