Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Dittrich Furs Hit For Third Time *This Year* « Previous Next »
What should replace DittrichDetroitrise21 08-27-08  11:16 pm
Rally -fund drive for Dittrichs.Dbc08-27-08  9:36 pm
Archive through August 25, 2008Terryh30 08-25-08  2:20 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, you've officially entered the category of "part of the problem" due to your beliefs that basically guarantee those poor folks have a future no greater than what they have now.

That's the true disrespect.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is so incredibly not smart.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 446
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, I cannot believe you think Dittrich should leave the city because of what they sell.

I wish Dittrich the very best of luck. They've stayed in this city despite the crime.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So by Terryh's rationale there shouldn't be the Cadillac dealer on Woodward near the Blvd either.It should be replaced by a car dealer that sells cheaper vehicles only .Considering the makeup of the area , perhaps a Yugo dealership would fit in nicely .

Softailrider

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just can't understand why anybody would want a city devoid of high end retail.If you can't afford it , don't shop there . Or if you can afford it ,but don't want to spend the money , then don't shop there either. Obviously , the fur store is making money in that location or they would have been gone by now . I say good for them . I'm glad their business is good enough for them to stay right where they are.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3384
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take all of the stores that sell wares that suburbanites might have interest in to solve the problem of poverty.
It's an interesting hypothesis, to say the least.
I'm not convinced that will help the tax base

(Message edited by jcole on August 25, 2008)

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10319
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh. I have read some stupid shit from people here from time to time but I think your posts might be the dumbest I have ever read!

Because there is a large disparity between incomes in Detroit then Detroit shouldn't have upscale retail?
I guess wig shops, party stores and thrift stores will help out the low-income people more than a fur store will right? Dittrich Furs should have known better than to locate in Detroit at all. How stupid of them.

I mean do you really believe the bullshit you type?

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 488
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All right..... let's not all jump on the TerryH wagon. Easy does it. I will show what a diplomatic response to Terry's post should look like, without the resentment.

One thing I noticed about Terry's point is the fact that, yes, selling furs next to a deprived neighborhood is not only a bad decision for business, but also a risky decision. Chances for theft are greater and chances for impulse purchases will be lower. It's just bad location, otherwise known as bad business. It might also taunt certain neighborhood residents I'd imagine.

But who's to say Dittrich moved there purposely? Did anyone consider the fact that the area probably declined all around the Fur Shop? It's not the Dittrich's fault. They in fact are what this city needs. Someone who won't run away in the face of danger.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 641
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, I agree with you. There needs to be more $0.99 shops and thrift stores. Dittrich should have moved 50 years ago when the neighborhood stated to decline. It is their fault they got robbed. The Dittrich building would make an awesome party store. I can imagine the blood sucking bums hanging out in front as I type.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dittrich furs was at that location in the 80's.
This was when New center commons was revitalized, and the entire area was vital and New Center One Mall was developed.
Many others left Dittrich stayed and others left or like Crowley's went belly up.
A good business decision would have been to leave the area, but they stayed.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 995
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry posted something both irresponsible and poorly thought-out. Comeuppance would take the form of someone even more marginal than he knocking him to the ground and then stealing his returnable malt liquor bottles. His posts clearly support this sort of redistribution.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 976
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Dittrich should be torn down and replaced with one of those places that gives you a cash advance on your next paycheck. And check cashing, I don't have a bank account so it never hurts to have more check cashing places!

Rjlj

Post Number: 642
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check Cashing and Dollar Stores, the true signs of progress and a well established community.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 489
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my recent jobs was to open a business in Detroit with young individuals making up the bulk of the workforce. Aged 18+ mostly.

Most of them didn't then or never had a bank account!! The owner made them go and get bank accounts.

What gives Detroiters? I had an account when I was a young 15. I don't understand the reasoning.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 574
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who needs a bank account? You cash your paycheck at the liquor store every Friday.

Softailrider

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a lot of adults living in the city who don't have any type of a relationship with a bank either . I'm talking people in their 40's and 50's and older . It's one of those things that I could never understand , how you can pay bills and exist in this world without a bank account .

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 920
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is youre socio-economic background Softrailrider? It surprises you that people in thier 40's and 50's dont have a bank account? I know plenty of responsible working men and women that CANNOT SAVE in our 'small business economy', which, by the way, how are they going to get by with small business wage cuStomers? A bank account!???????? Ive managed to save and invest a nice little chunk of change from picking up a second job and not having insurance.

Heres a little piece of info for ya Goat: Im back in retail, the sensor alarm was going off as a customer exited, neither the store manager or I bothered to chase the customer down to check the bags,make sure there wasnt a mistake or theft. Two small raises, 40 per week for health insurance with a huge deductible, and still didnt cover 100% of preventative exams.
When I share my wage is in the mid teens many are surprised thinking the wage would be 9 or 10 bucks an hour. Why would it be that low? 51 million Americans, make under 10 per hr.Too many are struggling and getting by with debt.

Put youreself in the other guys shoes Softrailrider.

I didnt suggest Dittrich should leave the city,I suggested a relocation downtown with the upscale snooty markets, high end lofts and pretentious snooty snippities.....

Oh yeah, if all those citizens who live in crushing poverty would just pull themselves up by their bootstraps...WITH WHAT!? 7 TO 10 PER HR.?

Bloaf
Username: Bloaf

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yeah. They said the same thing about Comerica.

Where is that ugly corporation at now?"

I had a theory that they realized the ballpark with their name attatched is a piece of shit, and they wanted to get as far away from it as possible.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Oh yeah, if all those citizens who live in crushing poverty would just pull themselves up by their bootstraps...WITH WHAT!? 7 TO 10 PER HR.?

Uh, yes? I assume when we're talking about crushing poverty in the area (and there is some), we're talking about the unemployed, homeless, indigent. 7 to 10 per hour is not "crushing poverty", period. It's not a great wage, either, I'll admit, but a large portion of Americans get by on it. IMO unemployment and unemployable people are the bigger problem in the city, not low wages.

Craig

Post Number: 997
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry - what is your reaction to my suggesting that seven to ten buys even less in an environment where merchants must fortify against thieves and robbers? You know: the poor in effect stealing from the poor by causing prices to rise to cover security & shrinkage.

Seems to me that the later-day Robin Hoods would be doing the community a favor if they stole nothing.

Terryh

Post Number: 921
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why do so many Americans 'just get by'? Exactly how many of them are unemployable? There is just 'some' crushing poverty? Look again Dougw. Ill meet you at the Turkey Grill, treat you to dinner, we can take a cruise. Put youreself in the shoes of the working poor and you will understand the lack of enthusiasm. Would you want to go through life as a wage slave with little hope of living a comfortable life?

Take a cruise up Piquette and Milwaukee and check out the Fabulous Ruins of factories that allowed Detroit residents to live a comfortable middle or almost near middle class life.

Working hard is no longer honorable. If youre 'working hard' youre at the bottom of the barrel doing menial work with little or no room for advancement. There are exceptions; I worked hard for a company and climbed up from 9.65 to a little under 20. Then there were the usual concessions, company went down from mismanagement.

Lets be real folks, a fur company in that neighborhood is a prime target. Im assuming the place has been stuck up? Delivery drivers are in danger, customers are in danger. Bad spot for Dittrich furs. Life in the D will go on without the place.

Oh and for all you smart alecks that brought up liquor stores, there already a few too many of those places in that part of the city.

Craig

Post Number: 998
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unbelievable. Factories closed -> hard work is for suckers -> make the guy with a store pay the price. Addendum: consumers of luxury goods are snooty. Did I leave out any details of the dissertation?

Terryh

Post Number: 922
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got the dissertation right Craig.

Furthermore, if Dittrich Furs packs up and moves along, wont be the end of civilization as we know it. Life in New Center Detroit will go on.
The guy with the store lives in Bloomfield right? He is doing pretty good. Livin large. Its his responsibility to keep proper insurance, save and invest. Owner has the business in a bad location.

What planet have you people been living on? Turn off American Idol man. sheesh.

Craig

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you're trying to right a perceived wrong with another wrong.

But then it also sounds like your drafting material custom made for "market research" thread.

Rjlj

Post Number: 643
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh comment:

"Working hard is no longer honorable. If youre 'working hard' youre at the bottom of the barrel doing menial work with little or no room for advancement."

WOW!! Does this sum up the attitude of Detroit? People just trying to get by, waiting for others to step in and help them.

Working hard is what made this city great 30+ years ago. Now people work the system and suck the blood out of it. If this city is to survive, hard work is the only thing that will make it survive, otherwise you can bury it now.

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 514
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oddly, for many newcomers to this country, crushing poverty is/was their motivation for success. Have we lost that?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"There's a lot of adults living in the city who don't have any type of a relationship with a bank either . I'm talking people in their 40's and 50's and older . It's one of those things that I could never understand , how you can pay bills and exist in this world without a bank account ."

You act like all of them CAN get a bank account. Once you owe money to a bank, and in some cases, have bad credit, bankers avoid you like the plague. You can't cash a check, have an account to pay bills, or have a checking account, even YEARS after the money has been paid back. This is because most banks use a consumer report system. Once you have a bad name in that system, your done. Meijer and Walmart even look at your report when you cash a check there. They won't cash your paycheck if you have a bad name in the system.

It's my understanding that Charter One, and most credit unions do not use the system. Not surprisingly, we see so many of these around Detroit. Now, I'm going to go out on a limb, and say that some of our residents have also had problems with some of these institutions too. That would be why you see so many profitable shady lenders, who charge $10 to cash a single pay check. That is more than an hour of work for a good number of people. I'm guessing a few people don't always have anyone near by who they know, who are doing much better. That, or they have an ounce of pride left, and don't want everyone knowing how bad off they really are.

There are employers who also look into this information.

Society breeds it's own problems, then blames those problems for themselves. These people are throw away people, who breed throw away children. They simply aren't economically viable.

Edit: Good grief... This post sounds like something straight out of a Michael Moore movie...

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on August 26, 2008)

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to Dittrich Furs. This firm has been in Detroit since 1893 and is the oldest family owned business in Detroit. Perhaps if we had more retailers with the committment and business expertise of the Dittriich's this city would be in better shape. Here is a great web site for business history buffs.

http://www.retailers.com/news/ retailers/03janfeb/mr0103membe rprofile.html

Softailrider

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I was trying to allude to was that there's lots of adult people who are homeowners with jobs who don't have bank accounts . People who are not at all indigent . I'm not talking about homeless street people . I know this for a fact , it's really suprising to me that they would choose check cashing places and the like instead of a bank .

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's really not that surprising that these people would hold a grudge, and not trust the institutions that they believe are rude, and constantly putting the screws to them and their communities, you know?

Craig

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No more surprising than the revelation that the CIA introduced crack into the ghetto to pacify the rebellion.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never heard that one...

Terryh

Post Number: 924
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have worked along side of and know personally individuals from poor neighborhoods, many of who are employable. There was a time when hard work was rewarded with a fair wage: now we have jobs leaving the country, two and three tier wage systems; huge insurance co-pays corporate crime waves; corporate welfare; executives exiting failing companies with golden parachutes.

There is much less job security: in the past failed University students could at least make enough money in the auto industry or steel mill to live comfortably or save startup cash for a small business.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

um, excuse me, but new center is not an area of "crushing poverty." dittrich is surrounded by henry ford health systems, the fisher building, 10 year old town homes, and some beautifully restored century old homes. this is my neighborhood and i moved there because it's one of the nicest in the city. you guys make it sound like it's a slum. granted, if you DRIVE a few blocks north or across the expressway you might find some undesirable areas, but i would hardly call them locating themselves in the middle of a dangerous area.

this is terribly sad; this thread is indicative of the mentality that is beneficial to no one. "all of detroit is bad, even though i've never been to where your talking about. the owners of this store are stupid for locating there, thus they deserved it." wouldn't energy be better spent on figuring out how to help this business instead of chastising them for having convictions?

[and don't fool yourself that this would never happen downtown nor is it a better location. i can't think of a single store that sell equivalent merchandise downtown. and if people can drive a truck up to the front doors here, they sure can drive a truck up to the front doors there.]

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.