Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Free Concert Outing Friday Night « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 909
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last Friday some friends and I rocked and reggaed starting with Foreigner at the world class Renasaince center and riverwalk, followed by a Campus Martius concert featuring reggae artist Sean Marley youngest son of Reggae legend Bob Marley. We left the autos parked and hopped on the smart bus at Woodward and Nine mile which carried us on down to Jefferson Ave. and Hart Plaza. Had to squeeze into a spot behind the stage at the Foreigner show which featured Jason Bonham on drums and new lead singer Kelley Hansen.
They opened up with Double Vision and finished the night with Hot Blooded after belting out a greatest hits set list with one new song added to the mix. They even segueyed into a couple of Led Zeppelin classics. Tame crowd, not nearly as rowdy as past events Ive attended. Didnt notice any antagonisms on the part of the few uniformed Police working crowd control.

We then hustled over to Campus Martius for the second half of the Sean Marley show.Last few songs we dined on some authentic Jamaican food enjoying the last couple of songs at the far end of Campus. Sean Marley had a large screen, whereas the Foreigner concert didnt have one that I could see from the back of the stage. The Marley show had better acoustics. Sound was crisper and clearer.

Walking to the bus stop on Woodward (cant remember the cross street across from Tall EEZ shoes) a group of young rowdies agitated us, more so Cheryl who is a former principal at an alternative ed program in Detroit, who proceded to turn around and flashed a dirty look after a smart aleck comment directed at us, with one of the group yanking on the doors of parked cars setting off alarms. At 42 I was the baby of the bunch with Rastafarian Steve and Cheryl being, as well as hippies Larry and Sherry in their early 50's. Funny thing (and there is a point to this) Cheryl and Steve, who are black brought up the race of the young rowdies,also black, lamenting the misbehaving and bad attitudes of innercity (not all) black youth. Myself Sherry and Larry took a more relaxed view,downplaying the rowdiness as just being young and rowdy on the weekend. I was scolded by Cheryl for laughing about their offending behaviour.

While waiting for the bus two huge groups of born agains carrying signs reading JESUS IS LORD; GOD HATES SIN etc. came marching up the street with bullhorns pleading with party goers to pray with them and repent. When they reached our bus stop Sherry, who attends Catholic Church and myself decided to join hands with the preachers (me wanting to confront my own intolerance toward religion) and figuring that they were more positive than some of the individuals we enountered throughout the evening. As the rest of the group looked on and snickered at us during and after the prayer,we bonded in prayer,sharing hugs afterwards. The peaceful feeling was short lived for me as some jerk sat down directly behind on the side of me,cracking something about I didnt need to look back (I glanced to the side) dog, I aint gonna do nothing to you, I hopped up facing him and replying that I would look where I want to look,the drunk,(or stupid) pulling himself up, gave me a dismissive wave and walked away. I usually completely ignore that kind of antagonistic behaviour and am ashamed I fed into his drunkeness. Cheryl laughed and quipped," He took his black ass away didnt he" Anyways, we ended up on a Detroit bus which carried us to the state fair grounds,walking the rest of the distance to our parked cars and bicycles. Great night! Good friends. Should have brought my camera.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 880
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't it Julian, not Sean? (He's not the youngest either)

(Message edited by wash_man on August 25, 2008)

Terryh

Post Number: 912
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it was Julian, Ill find out right now.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pack a gun ladies, Pack a gun.
It is better to be tried by twelve than to be carried by six.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate those situations Terry. Im a pretty large guy, but I still get it now and then. I hate having to worry that standing up to someones bs may bring a knife or gun into play. So fucking frustrating. I don't recommend this but when I look them in the eye they usually fold and wave their hand like you said and walk away. Good for you.

I got to see Ziggy at Sunsplash once.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 289
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Julian Marley, with Nomo and Orquestra Sencasional opening.

Terryh

Post Number: 913
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear ya Django. Really the best, most sensible ways to handle rude offensive situations is to be mature about it, ignore the offending statements, pulling out the mace or poturing into a fighting stance as a last resort. There have been cases in which middle aged men have confronted young hoodlums and ended up getting killed-going through a trial-and or recieved a prison sentence.

Wish I would have made it to on of the Sunsplash shows. Ever go to Trenchtown Django. It wasnt bad when I danced and socialized there on several occasions about five years ago.

Oh and a couple of different people stepped on my nice Italian loafers. Accidents happen, I got a slight apology from the guy maybe the lady didnt notice. Not the end of the world.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nomo was outstanding.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.