Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Lindsey Hunter - Mortgage Fraud « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Saplej
Username: Saplej

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Lindsey Hunter, the veteran guard of the Detroit Pistons, a victim of mortgage fraud? Or is he a perpetrator?

with all the get rich quick schemes in the world, this one seems like a pretty dodgy one..

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20080825/SUB/16549242/p istons-guard-duplicitous-or-du pe-in-mortgage-fraud

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW. I went to school with McClellan, have known him practically my entire childhood! He's a great guy. I'm so sorry this has happened to him.

From reading the facts in the article, it certainly appears that Hunter was not the victim, but one of the perpetrators! Looks like he was in on the scam and was enjoying the lifestyle that went along with the proceeds.

I hope he gets all thats coming to him and Bruce can clear his name and his credit. People that do crap like this should get very strong punishment!

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 703
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that this sounds dodgy but Mr. McClellan has to look in the mirror and ask what his responsibility was in this. He expected to make a $300,000 profit for doing nothing? This is how the Nigerian 419 scams succeed - find someone who's gullible and greedy and take advantage of them. I feel bad for the guy but he let his own greed get the better of him.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's true, Novine. You don't get something for nothing. He should have known. I never said he was very bright - I said he was a sweet guy, LOL.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 706
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, con artists pray on guys like that.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know, according to the article the poor guy was going over with his lawnmower to mow the lawn on this mansion, and making sure the pool cover was intact on a pool he never got to use, meanwhile his credit is ruined...and he has to pay some of the utilities so his own don't get turned off. I'd say he's a victim.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That car salesman is part of this too. He probably sets up lots of unsuspecting buyers who come in there with good credit. Sounds like he was just salivating over Bruce and trying to figure out how to take advantage of him.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 740
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we need to let this play out before passing judgment, considering Wayne County and the FBI seem to have totally differing viewpoints. Lindsay has had a stellar reputation for years in the Detroit area and I would hate to see his reputation ruined prematurely.
Countrywide, which issued both mortgages, is another story.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, 401don...

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my son worked for a repo company some time ago and had to go after cars that were part of a similar scam...people with good credit were approached and offered x amount of dollars to purchase a car in their name, for someone with no or bad credit, and then that person would take the car and promise to make the payments. Of'course they never did, so the purchaser's good credit was ruined too. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Run, do not walk, away from a scam like this! There is always a catch.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if LH did nothing wrong he's guilty of being a terrible judge of character as far as who he chose as a business partner.

As far as LH having a stellar reputation how well do we really know these athletes? As McClellan mentioned he got involved in this in large part because of LH and thought he was a trustworthy person and he wouldn't do him wrong. He probably based all that on seeing him play basketball on TV.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's curious to me that LH/wife were living in the house with the utilities in Bruce's name, left unpaid bills, and also reportedly added him to their bank account. I understand innocent until proven guilty, but come on, this isn't looking good. You KNOW whose utilities you're using and whose name is on the mortgage. Why would he need to be living/using a household in someone else's name, if he's this big successful star? Why isn't he buying his own house(s)?

This will be interesting as it plays out. Remember, everyone has a stellar reputation - until they DON'T anymore. Kwame used to have one too, we see how that turned out!

When is Countrywide going to face the music for what they perpetrated across the country? They were approving loans left and right for even homeless people with no income. Now they just walk away scot free and leave us holding the bag and say, "you should have known better!"

Ironically, while Bruce says he "only" made 35k a year in his job, he was likely in a better financial position than either of those guys. That's what people don't understand and how some get into trouble, its not how much you make, its what you do with it.

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never been a fan of Countrywide, but I fail to see how they are at fault for this one.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They approved a loan of over a million dollars for a man making 35k a year. The thing about adding his name to Hunter's bank account so he could show income - I have to wonder why no one questioned the length of time he allegedly had "accumulated" this money - and HOW? Did they not question any of that?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, this is a dup of a thread I started... moderator, please merge. https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/152790.html

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my family used to have a team in the Rouge Days leauge that we would stack with NBAers. Lindsay was on the team one year...he rubbed me the wrong way and I will tell you why. His character came into question with me when I heard a young woman ask him was he married....he QUICKLY refuted her, asked her where she'd heard that and sounded offended that she'd even asked - he is a player for life.

This was after I'd just met his new wife and their new baby the night before.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my family used to have a team in the Rouge Days league that we would stack with NBAers. Lindsay was on the team one year...he rubbed me the wrong way and I will tell you why. His character came into question with me when I heard a young woman ask him was he married....he QUICKLY refuted her, asked her where she'd heard that and sounded offended that she'd even asked - he is a player for life.

This was after I'd just met his new wife and their new baby the night before.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2155
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ralph Roberts has more details on this story at his flippingfrenzy mortgage fraud website:

http://www.flippingfrenzy.com/ 2008/08/25/lindsey-hunter-and- mortgage-fraud/

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmph. Sure doesn't sound like Lindsey had/has all of the money he claimed to have. Sorry to prejudge but it looks like he was all up and through this one!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.