Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Dequindre Cut « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the cut opening this weekend?? Last I heard they were going to have it up and running by September. Can anyone confirm anything? I cannot wait to take my bike down it.

http://modeldmedia.com/features/mdtv15708.aspx

(Message edited by izzyindetroit on August 25, 2008)

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 441
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like October now. They talked about it on Detroit Today this morning. The Antietam bridge is causing some delays as well as security cameras and benches. The path is completed and I don't think anyone will throw up much fuss if you ride through it now, at your own risk of course.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Biked it yesterday afternoon and it was great fun.
Can't wait for the next phases to begin.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woot!! I'm going to go tonight then.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 781
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I jog in the Cut regularly. Yesterday my route went up as far as the old water towers north of Gratiot.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 481
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

was in the cut on sunday. if they are going to continue to allow graffiti then our local artists need to brush up on their work. The newer stuff down there just isn't good at all. Also you would think that with all of that blank canvas you could refrain from taging all over the freshly installed emergency poles.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shit, the poles are tagged already.

I dont know if it would do any good but a few signs requesting sprayers to stick to the walls and keep their work PG rated might help out a bit. Probably would just get sprayed though.

Has there been any kind of rules set or amnesty for ppl spraying down there if they stick to the walls? Ive heard they will leave the work that is already up but what about someone who wants to put up new work?

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see it getting too much traffic until it is properly connected to the River Walk, but it is a nice stretch to rollerblade or bike on. I've been down there a few times since they paved it.

Bloaf
Username: Bloaf

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG rated? Come on.

Django

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont want to bring my little Nephew down there with some x rated crap written all over the walls. Im just sayin, if a sign of suggestions or rules WERE to be made, that may be something to consider.

(Message edited by django on August 25, 2008)

Bloaf

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take freedom of expression over that.

The cut would be so.....boring.....if everything was PG.

Django

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It all is PG as it is now as far as I can tell. My thinking tells me that if the cut is open to anyone who wants to spray, its gonna bring a lot of new work. Its a public place and I dont want want to see FUCK written all over the place. I hear ya though. Im a fan of Maplethorpe but I wouldnt want his self portrait with his fist up his ass displayed in a park. Touchy subject.

I cant even believe Im writing this. You make me feel old Bloaf. LOL.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Destruction of public property, rated PG or not, shouldn't be considered "art" or "work".

Django

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban, I disagree. Where the art or work is put may be a crime though. While the art thats been put up in the cut may have been illegal at the time, its been given immunity and is allowed to stay. Im curious if that means anyone can go to the cut and spray legally, or at least overlooked. Personally I love it.

Bloaf

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not destruction on private property if it's allowed.

And even when it's not allowed it's still art, it's just art done illegally.

Django

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bloaf, I gotta say, I love the handle. Whats the meaning behind it, if you will? Loaf is such a great word. Reminds me of Cheech and Chong and the Butthole Surfers.

Bloaf

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing really, just a word I made up that I thought sounded funny. No real meaning behind it other than comedy value!

Django

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good one either way Bloaf. I sense some creativity in ya.

Bloaf

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WEll thank you very much!

Detroitrockcity
Username: Detroitrockcity

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kind of think it would be cool to have graffiti artist contests in some part of Detroit where they could do it legally, and people could view it kind of like an urban art museum. Maybe have contests that are judged every week.

Django

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drockcity. I think thats a fantastic idea. I dont know about every week, maybe once a year, or twice at the most if you want it to work. Good idea. If you get it started Ill back you and do what I can.

Took a ride down there today. I always start at Mack near City Scrap at St Aubin an work my way down through the trails until I get to the finished cut. Today they were installing a pedestrian bridge I believe with a large crane. I watched them for a while then kept heading south toward the river. Just south of Gratiot I was tooling along with no hands when coming out from under an overpass I ran straight into a chain link fence. I didn't see it until it was to late (some of you know my eyesight is limited) Anyone else may have seen it long before I would, Im not sure. It came out of nowhere for me. I stopped after luckily not doing an endo. I pulled a bunch of long weeds out of the dirt and weaved them into the fence to make it more visible. Apparently they put the fence up because of the overpass construction and didn't want civilians near the crane and construction going on.

Just lettin you all know, that fence really snuck up on me, be careful.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 649
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice idea Detroitrockcity, love it.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrockcity, you're on it.
Detroit Beautification Day, Tagger style.
Report back before it takes place.

Gotta watch out for those fences down there, can't be doing a no hands thing.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 478
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the idea...Detroit beautification by Taggers. Reminds me of the East Side Gallery in Berlin. Various artists taking a section of th wall and creating some amazing art.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2796
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did they just stop? I heard the opening was delayed but I thought it would be open by now.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked it last friday and must say although the path is done the surrounding area still needs alot of work. yes some lillys have been planted but it still has a long way to go.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 674
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many folks thought it would be open by now. The last I knew the primary delay were the abutments for the new Antietam bridge. There was a conflict with a utility line.

They also found additional money to finish up the landscaping, add benches, etc.

And finally, the Dequindre Cut received a grant to improve the pedestrian connection to Eastern Market.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 805
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishtoes, that's good news to me about the improved connection to Eastern Market because now you exit the Cut into a barren field and then face a tough stretch of Gratiot before connecting to the wrong end of Eastern Market. It's not at all user friendly. Thanks for letting us know that an improvement is coming.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 297
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, For all valid purposes, The russell Bus line was outfitted with bike racks to facilitate the fluid connection of bike transportation into and out of the cut. It seems there is more fine tuning to be done.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 676
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

that's good news to me about the improved connection to Eastern Market

I believe the plan is to improve the sidewalk on the south side of Gratiot to the signalized crossing at Russell. You're right. That sidewalk isn't user-friendly and in some places, doesn't exist!

Long term, I imagine access will also improve once the Dequindre Cut segment north of Gratiot is purchased and made into a trail.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 256
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of 9/20/2008

Fly By don

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The graffiti thing is genius, really.

There is this restaurant down in Ohio that put up a chalkboard in it's bathroom. Would you believe they have no problem with actual destructive graffiti anymore?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And schools with big rocks in front.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 289
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baghdad doesn't have problems with graffiti anymore. We should ask them what the solution is so we could institute it here in Detroit.

Mortalman: What was that Baghdad?

Baghdad: Have the U.S. invade your city and the problem will go away.

Mortalman: Thank you, Baghdad, but isn't that kind of a radical solution?

Baghdad: Yes, it is but it's a complicated world these days. Oh, you say you don't have any oil reserves.

Mortalman: No, Baghdad, we have no oil reserves but we have the largest copper mine in the free world. Will that help?

Baghdad: I'm sorry my friend but without oil you have no hope of being invaded by the U.S. By the way, talk to the Japanese about how nuclear energy solved their problems at the end of WWII. Good luck my dear friend in West Baghdad. Just kidding my friend!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14055
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There is this restaurant down in Ohio that put up a chalkboard in it's bathroom. Would you believe they have no problem with actual destructive graffiti anymore?

Thought about that Friday night at Vivio's...they did a similar thing in the downstairs men's room.

Then ran out of chalk...but prior, the graffiti was actually MORE destructive. Just not to the property.

A few folks thought they could say anything they wanted, since it was 'temporary'. At least one cute, blond friend got dissed unfairly a few times. Caught her a few times devastated when she heard about it...since she didn't exactly frequent that room.

Dtales
Username: Dtales

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman: LOL

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That place I mentioned also does check the board from time to time, to prevent that from happening. I would guess that might mean they have had problems with that also.

Not an end all solution, I guess. Still, not a horrible idea.

In a perfect world, every Detroit restaurant and bar would also have a class A restroom complex, with attendant. I feel the chalkboard is a nice step, and shows they tried.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2764
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They tried? Tried what?
Try keeping the restroom clean, and making sure that it has an adequate supply of soap, tissue, and towels.
On the other hand, what's the point of promoting good hygiene when your clientele is prone to doing things like sharing chalk found in the restroom.

Django

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I missing something, Is passing a piece of chalk in a bathroom more likely to pass on disease than the countless bills passed between barfly and bartender serving your drinks just outside the bathroom. No offense Ravine but damn.

I personally love the graffiti culture in some bathrooms. Doesn't work for some ppls bars but for mine it does. I like the chalk board in the Bronx. Then again a chalk board in the Miami would be a joke, the graffiti in the Miami is at guttural prime.

Gannon

Post Number: 14163
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban Scrawls!

You will like this documentary, Django, it features the Old Miami, and ol' Baretta (RIP) is interviewed in it. We screened this years ago at Jams' Beaubien Street Saloon video night...it is a total blast.

I'm still bummed they had to drywall over my Miami men's room tag...heh...damn lunkhead fratboys tore up that wall.

Django

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldnt find it on Netflix Gannon. Do you have it on video or DVD? Id love to see it.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 705
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Antietam bridge is coming along nicely. I have not heard of any official opening date for the Cut.

I did just post a couple recent photos of the Dequindre Cut

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9464
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django,
I just unpacked a box with the DVD in it.

How fortuitous for you. :-)

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a ton of the tags from before construction.
Some are amazing...

http://onlyndetroit.com/html/g raff/dequindrecut.htm

Gannon

Post Number: 14454
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MOVIE NIGHT AT GANNON'S LOFT!

We've got to screen that documentary and Matt Cantu's "Delivered, Guaranteed, Confidential" with the old view from those lofts above Niki's Pizza, pre-parking garage...at least.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9465
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've that one as well.

Pick a night for a Cantu Family Film Fest, I'll check with them for any newer work.

Django

Post Number: 2103
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams. Gannon just dropped me off after helping me move and told me about your post. Well have to hook up cause Id love to borrow it if possible.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 398
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

October 11, 2008:

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 555
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the photos Retroit. That new bridge under construction... is that for auto traffic and pedestrians or just pedestrians only? It's amazing to see home many bridges have been taken out over the years... kinda cool how they left the abutments, though. I hope it's open soon!

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 706
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That bridge is the replacement Antietam bridge, which is designed for bikes, peds and motor vehicles.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 707
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just posted information and the flyer for the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy's upcoming community forum to discuss the Dequindre Cut and East Riverfront. It begins on October 28th at 5pm at the Detroit Waldorf School.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 803
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is relevant to this post because of the need to stop the massive downtown Detroit freeway expansions that could eliminate the chance to utilize this for bikes and walking.

If my mass transit plans come back off the shelf?

Then everyone in the entire World would know that every ten minutes seven days a week that a SMART bus with a bike rack would go to downtown Detroit.

This plan would take over 40 thousand cars off the downtown Detroit freeways everyday by a penny increase of the state fuel tax. This would raise $50 Million per year but the passengers would pay half and Livonia and other cities would opt. back in. Thus, money is free up to help DDOT. An additional $14 Million per year can be saved by combining DDOT and SMART bus routes.

Please support my plan to save SMART.

Or, support the $2 Billion dollar plan to expand the freeways with 25 miles of new lanes.

Without any state fuel tax for SMART.

Absolutely NONE.

The Livonia SMART bus reductions is physical evidence that your vote is not needed to cut state and federal transit funds

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 715
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just typed up my notes from Tuesday's Riverwalk and Dequindre Cut public session. I think there's a lot of good updates. Progress is definitely being made.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7439
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(T)rainman never gives up on his SMART quest...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.