Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Ethiopian Food-Eastern Market « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walking through EM today I noticed the new Ethiopian place at the corner of Russell and Fisher service drive is now open. It appears that they have a buffett, just based on an observation through the window. Has anyone checked this out yet?

Cedargrove
Username: Cedargrove

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last week, I went inside hoping to find a cup of coffee but they didn't have any. It looked like a decent place, though.

Detroitrockcity
Username: Detroitrockcity

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what exactly is Ethiopian food? Sauteed flies? Baked sand? I'm joking, I really don't know.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5299
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E thiopian_cuisine

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's unique. Try the Blue Nile. They ladle out small amounts of various meat and vegetable stews onto a big round piece of spongy bread called injera. You tear off pieces of the bread and use it to pick up the food. No cutlery (although I think you can ask for it). They also drink a killer honey wine that can get you very drunk.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blue Nile rocks, holla to Seifu, and I hope the new place does well also. If you haven't tried it, hie yourself on down and check it out. Texorama describes the mechanics of it very well but there's no way to describe the flavor. Go eat.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Blue Nile, once, on a first date who was vegetarian. I thought it was super-cool until my stomach started churning just as we were leaving. Oh man, that was a potentially horrible evening! So many legumes and whatever else had me saying good-night to my date waaaaaaaaayyyyy earlier than I had planned!

DO NOT eat that many lentils, chick peas, etc. on a first date if you haven't ever done it before! Tragic, I tell you.

This was in 1989 or so and I still remember the distended belly and awe-inspiring gas as if it were yesterday! TMI? Sorry. Had to warn others.

HOLY COW!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2863
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tex is right about the honey wine. Went to the Blue Nile a few months ago for the first time. Very unique dining experience. Food was good, wine excellent and coffee was good and strong. I now have a craving for that wine - thanks for creating this thread Detroitstar! LOL

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was that you Kath???

I did clean my shoes, but never could force myself could wear them again. Pity.

wow, that was a night ...

Cabezon
Username: Cabezon

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there is one thing better than Ethiopian food, its Ethiopian women. Any man who's strolled through Addis Ababa knows EXACTLY what I'm talkin about!

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6714
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Windsor, we've got an Ethiopian place called Marathon. It's great, and a very unique dining experience.

For an idea of the food, they have their menu online...

http://www.windsoreats.com/mar athon/

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I the only person who can't eat a big plate of legumes and beans without a digestive problem? LOL!
Ha ha Gnome!

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWIW, I usually get the meat plate--you get plenty of veggies anyway, and no chickpea overload.

It's a fabulous cuisine. I once did a rather major favor for an Ethiopian family that was planning to open a restaurant. A cousin got off the plane with three huge boxes filled with bags of spices, and they took me home and cooked me the greatest meal of my life. I was sitting there eating for about five hours.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget Blue Nile! Support businesses that support Detroit. Eat at Taste of Ethiopia!

English
Username: English

Post Number: 793
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why did Blue Nile move to Ferndale? I forget...

393bird
Username: 393bird

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never been there, but have been to Addis Ababa and there neighbor, Asmara Eritrea. They have a Blue Nile in Asmara also, and if the one in Detroit is half as good as the one in Asmara, I will drop by the next time I am in Detroit.

Great People.

Blue Nile, Asmara

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have a 1st date, eat lots of lentils and chick peas and drink lots of honey wine for the experience of a lifetime that you won't remember or have to remember and your date won't either!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.