Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Delray Beach Flordia and the Delry section of Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard there is some kind of a connection there . Does anybody know the particulars ?

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Linton settlers began to achieve success with truck farming of winter vegetables for the northern market. A hard freeze in 1898 was a setback, and many of the settlers left, including William Linton. Partly in an attempt to change the community's luck, or leave behind a bad reputation, the settlement's name was changed in 1901 to Delray, after the Detroit neighborhood of Delray ("Delray" being the anglicized spelling of "Del Rey," which is Spanish for "of the king", which in turn, the Detroit neighborhood was named after the Mexican-American War's Battle of Molino del Rey).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D elray_Beach,_Florida

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a lot of those florida beach towns were started by Michigan folks

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gmich99, you wouldn't be shining us, would you? Very interesting if true. Where did you come up with this tidbit? I'd like to know the whole story.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay Gmich99, I read it. I wonder how accurate this report is? Thanks for the post. As many years as I was around Delray, I never had a clue about the origin of the name.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.