Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Industrial building at Eastern Market on fire right now « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure what the building is, but its the light brown building about 5 stories with a water tower, probably on orleans.

From my window there appears to be about 6 trucks on the scene.

Anyone know what this building is?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Abandoned or no?

Gannon could tell us but hes outta town at the moment.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 542
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

got a camera?

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work near Greektown on the 6th floor and I can't see anything. I hope there are no casualties and everyone is safe.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's out now.

My camera was in the car a block away so that didnt help! Looking at google maps I realized this building is located on the dequinder cut. It appears to be empty but Im not sure. It has a black water tower with a silver band across the middle of it. Fire trucks have returned to the Russell Street station.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOTE: I am at the pavilion apartments in Lafayette park...it is about 6 blocks away so it is very possible that it was a smaller building next to the one I noted, but this was the closest to wear I could see smoke coming. from.

I will drive by this morning and check things out from the ground.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 543
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it a quick response by the DFD?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no idea french. I was awaken by the sound of dire trucks and when I opened my eyes there was black smoke filling the market. I have no clue how long it had been going on.

Django

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im pretty sure thats the old Thornapple Valley building. I Googled Earthed it but have not figured out how to post a link. If your speaking of the building on the West side of the Cut South side of a bridge over the cut. South East of the Russle St DFD, that would be the Thornapple Valley. I have a special connection with that building as I took a fall in there breaking three diff bones. Im really sad it burned. ;)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13933
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems a little odd that not a week ago they started cleanup of the oil spill behind the building, and now a fire in only the old portion of it?

I cannot wait to get home and find out the whole story on this one...

...the building YOU, Django, were in was all concrete and cinderblock, there wasn't anything to burn inside of it.

Curious...

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 646
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was the Thornapple Valley building abandoned?

Gannon

Post Number: 13934
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It couldn't have been any MORE abandoned by the owners, but not so by the taggers.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting because I woke up to billowing black smoke from the area above. I watched for about 30 minutes and the fire quickly went to whiter smoke and the went out. I watched DFD trucks move to this area, and I know I wasnt dreaming. Im surprised nobody else saw this. Anyone who was in the eastern market area at this time would have seen it...the wind blew the smoke right into the heart of the market.

Django

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im not sure if it was the Thorn apple building or not. Sounds like it was though, water tower, five stories tall.

Thats a pretty big building Gannon. Another area may have had flammable materials. I believe oil burns off white smoke, as well as wood. Plastics and rubber I know burn black. Theres usually all kinds of plastics left behind in these abandoned buildings because there not recyclable for profit.

Ill try and ride down there after a nap and let you all know what I find out.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4974
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"woke up to billowing black smoke - watched for about 30 minutes and the fire quickly went to whiter smoke and the went out"

that could also be a car fire

Bloaf
Username: Bloaf

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That building smells funny inside. It smells like old beef Jerkey.

Django

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a few years back someone put up a simple metal sculpture on the second or third floor that was open to the front of the building so that when you drove by you could easily see it. I thought that was pretty cool. Of course when steel prices started to rise it disappeared. It really is a pretty interesting building, DANGEROUS but interesting. Just bring a flash lite and always have it on if your going to check it out, even during daylight.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2610
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And why would anybody want to check it out?
I'm not interested in putting myself in danger for the sake of rooting around in an abandoned building.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 334
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Black smoke, likely a fire that is not yet being put out. White smoke, steam and smoke combo from water being put on the fire. Of course, different things do create different kinds of smoke, but that's a generally rule I follow. Black smoke, new fire, no one on scene, watching it turn white means firefighters have likely arrived....

Navi
Username: Navi

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, you happen to go by and take a look?

Django

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rode down the tracks from Mack to hook up with the Cut at Gratiot but couldnt find an easy way up to the front of the building. All I could pretty much confirm is that it was the old Thornapple Valley plant as it seemed to be the only place with a watertank on top of it. I wound up at the Miami instead of rolling back by the topside of Eastern Market.

I had a little accident riding down the cut. I explained it on The Dequinder Cut thread.

Bloaf
Username: Bloaf

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And why would anybody want to check it out?"

Because some people, like myself, find that stuff interesting.

Gannon

Post Number: 13935
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because occasionally you stumble upon something like this:

ThornAppleValley1

Or this:

ThornAppleValley2

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, if you want to sell your art work you need to put it on canvas, then post it on the classified ads section.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2426
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh painted that last picture.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.