Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Layoffs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sweets8772
Username: Sweets8772

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they still talking about laying off city workers?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3091
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a joke. They were saying they'd have to lay off city workers if they didn't sell the rights to Detroit's side of the tunnel. Guess what? There are some serious adjustments coming because they've been unable to balance the budget for, what, every year the K admin. has been in office? I've suspected the only reason the city hasn't been in receivership is because (a) Lansing doesn't want to administer Detroit and (b) the McNamara machine is holding it at bay.

Sweets8772
Username: Sweets8772

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I know is the city services are barely able to function as it is. To layoff more workers is crazy you might well so everything yourself.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I could figure out how to drive the bus.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 317
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can you drive it with one of these?b rk.jpg

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So they're finally installing those, eh?

I've seen plenty of people on SMART who took quite a while figuring out how to operate the bike racks. I think it's common sense that it's the front tire you'd want to secure, but that's just me.

I've read elsewhere that the bike racks on DDOT will be operating for now on the Russell line, to see how well it works.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 698
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could layoff King Kwame's flunky relatives and friends that don't actually do any work, and cut the "EPU".

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 282
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Professor S., Civil Service is definitely the name of the game here.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 932
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasnt complicated. Its a great idea having them racks on the bus. The rack carried my bike downtown, I hopped off at the library and peddled on over to Harmonie Park to visit a friend at her shop.Biked all the way back to Ferndale,stopping for a bite at the Turkey Grill.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, And thats that.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't it strange how many jobs were created by sprawl?

How many mayors do we have in Metro Detroit?

Just imagine all the money Metro Detroit would save if we all consolidated, or moved to more central locations (stress the "S"). Such waste... It's not very ironic that we take everything to extremes sometimes?

Waste not = want not. We want a lot, and we waste a lot.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.