Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Kales Building Ridiculousness? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell me if this isn't ridiculous. So a friend of mine (a native Detroiter) is moving from Chicago to NYC in November, but is in town working on a political campaign for the next three months. He was trying to find a place to live in while he is here and so he called the Kales building to see if anything was available. A woman in the management office told him that one of the places on the top floor of the Kales was available for 1100 dollars a month and that it wouldnt be a problem for him to live there for only the two months that he would be in town. My friend was all set to move to Kales and give the management team his information when he receives another call from "Rick" with the Kales Building management team saying that my friend could only get the open apartment on the top floor if he brought "Rick" 4000 dollars for two months rent and another 2000 dollars for a security deposit, all in cash, and all up front.

What type of company would double the quoted rent, within a day, on a whim, and ask for it to be brought in cash and up front? I thought that the Kales building was well occupied and was a classy living space downtown. Am I giving Detroit too much credit or is this not the way a lease transaction should be handled?

www.DetroitArmy.com

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That smells a little fishy. I'd have your friend call back the original number and verify the policy. I can see there being a security deposit, and since he is only staying for 2 months, if paying the first and last month's rent up front is their policy (not out of the ordinary) then your friend would have to pay both months at move in. Doubling the rent in cash is a red flag.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5295
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he didn't sign a lease to lock in at 1100/month, I suppose that is their liberty. Perhaps another individual stepped in wanting a long-term lease and they would only value your friend leasing for two months if he pays are larger sum?

No landlord would pass on a quick 2200 unless they could be getting more otherwise...if not, then this is arbitrary and stupid on their part. Commonsense seems to dictate they they have another lessee.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 442
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't make money on a two month lease at the regular market rent terms. They'll spend several hundred dollars cleaning, repainting, fixing, etc. after people move out. It makes sense to charge a lot more for a very short term lease. My guess is that the first woman thought it would be ok to do 2 months then was quickly told that it's a terrible idea.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8440
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a very cool loft available at Lofts of Merchants Row. It even has a spiral staircase. I'm sure it's pricey though, its their best unit.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 608
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Mbr is right, although doubling the rent is excessive IMO

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 645
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is much better to have a long term lease than a 2 month lease and the decision is at the discretion of the lessor.

As Mbr said, they will spend money cleaning, repainting, advertising, fixing, etc. after that person moves out. Not to mention that they could have missed out on a long term lease during that time. Many places require a 6 or 12 month minimum stay anyway. It makes sense to charge a lot more for a very short term lease. I am sure this can be negotiated as can everything is this world.

(Message edited by rjlj on August 27, 2008)

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 444
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cash up front is not ridiculous either. The landlord doesn't know your friend, it isn't worth the money to do a credit check, and shouldn't have to check references for 2 months. Suppose they move in with a bad check, it will take at least 3 months to evict them, at that point your friend (not saying he'd do this but people out there do) is gone to the next city having lived rent free.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asking for 6000 dollars up front isn't ridiculous? Not sure what you're basing that on but in this world almost nobody transacts with cash, especially at an amount as high as this unless its for something illegal.

I agree probably they just wouldn't make any money on a two month lease, but I can assure you that asking someone for 6000 dollars up front isn't normal protocol.

Side note: He found a place in Birmingham for two months within 24 hours and for a third less than the originally quoted 1100 dollars at kales. I'm not arguing for Birmingham or Detroit, I'm just stating what happened.

Even further, isn't 1100 dollars a little bit silly in it of itself? Merchants row is even more expensive. Aren't we trying to entice people to live in the city? My friends are living in Chicago for less.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't you have your friend go to the Addison Apt. @ Woodward and Charlotte. I know that the landlord there has worked out one or two month deals with people that are working in some of the stage shows that come to town!

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 579
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1100/month for a top floor unit downtown is not out of line, unless the place is a flea-infested flophouse. The "cash up front" part is shady though. That sounds almost like a drug deal or someone's under-the-table kickback.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 684
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://chicago.craigslist.org/ chc/apa/808505483.html

500 sq ft studio

http://chicago.craigslist.org/ chc/apa/804917257.html

no parking (usually 250 extra) and 725 sq ft

http://chicago.craigslist.org/ chc/apa/813377347.html

400 sq ft

All are 1100

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 712
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a usually how it works in New York too.

<313>

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kales is a nice building and a decent price compared to what it would be in other towns

Dtales
Username: Dtales

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kales Building: Detroit's Finest Frathouse.

Your friend can do better than Kales. Tell him to get in touch with the Tourist Bureau; at the very least they should be able to point him in the direction of places that offer month to month leases. LEGIT m-t-m leases.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hehehehe...

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe you owe someone royalties for that comment Ms. Dtales......

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.