Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Scrappers in old Cass Tech « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove by this morning and saw a number of the windows out and the drop ceilings torn apart. Looks like they really have been going to town on it.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 609
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed any effort to protect the building was ceased months ago. On every visit to Detroit, doors open.

(Message edited by wolverine on August 27, 2008)

English
Username: English

Post Number: 794
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Former Cass Tech teacher here... sigh.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Offspring of Class of '48 Cass Tech grad here... sigh.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost hate to say it but with so many scrapper reports on here there should maybe be a megathread. That way the cops and residents can just sift through that to keep an eye out.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone should just stat a blog with google maps

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CT grad c/o 1983 Please join us September 19th at the DIA to help preserve the old Cass Tech

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its sad...if only there was a greater real estate market. That old building could be converted into some really beautiful loft spaces or design studios...

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3096
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the city's plan: Demolition by neglect.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 464
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone not from Detroit, this situation sounds ridiculous. And it really is absurd. It should not be the case that scrappers are allowed to roam the city with reckless abandon. Of course, the massive vacant-ness of the place encourages scrapping, but where is the police protection?

I really feel like the DPD needs to step things up as a prerequisite to other great things happening in the city. Why not start with the scrappers and scrap yards? For one, the police can get tips on activity from people like us, who are more than happy to help. Secondly, why not go after the scrap dealers? This would need to be done regionally, and should be doable.

It is a shame that the city lets these kinds of things happen.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could you file a lawsuit for willful neglect against the city?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did anyone really expect anything different?

i totally agree on making a scrapper megathread

Cman710

Post Number: 465
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone not from Detroit, this situation sounds ridiculous. And it really is absurd. It should not be the case that scrappers are allowed to roam the city with reckless abandon. Of course, the massive vacant-ness of the place encourages scrapping, but where is the police protection?

I really feel like the DPD needs to step things up as a prerequisite to other great things happening in the city. Why not start with the scrappers and scrap yards? For one, the police can get tips on activity from people like us, who are more than happy to help. Secondly, why not go after the scrap dealers? This would need to be done regionally, and should be doable.

It is a shame that the city lets these kinds of things happen.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3052
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they had torn down the building like originally planned, the scrapping wouldn't be an issue.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2647
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The interesting thing, and in my opinion, what makes Cass Tech scrappers different from say those going into a vacant home, for example, is the fact that Cass Tech is owned by the city more or less. Technically speaking, owners of privately owned property can do whatever they want with their property. If they want to let it sit and rot and leave doors open for people to come, they can do that. On the other hand, the city does not have the right to allow its property to go into disrepair. Essentially publically owned property has an obligation to be protected.

Cman710

Post Number: 471
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Charlottepaul,

I agree for the most part. I do believe that the city has a special obligation to keep its structures and property from being vandalized (disrepair would also be good, but given the city's current record, that might be asked to much). For me, the city has an obligation to do everything that it can to maintain its properties, and to prevent them from losing their value.

I do think that private owners should be allowed more latitude in how they maintain their property, but I would not go as far as you, Charlotte. I do think that private owners should be made to make reasonable efforts to keep their properties secure if they are vacant. Ultimately, however, it is the city's responsibility to take criminals to task who vandalize and scrap properties.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2649
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...it is the city's responsibility to take criminals to task who vandalize and scrap properties."

Agreed. That is the real issue here.

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the old cass tech is historical,they should keep it preserved as something.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The more I think about it, the more surprised I am that it is still vacant and unprotected.

Any idea how much DPS wants for leasing or selling it?

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on August 31, 2008)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2654
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be surprised if DPS has no answer to that question, Sean_of; it is more their style to just walk away and leave the building, even if it contains good, usable (or even brand-new) materials, to sit there and rot in the sun like a dead animal by the roadside.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2163
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started a thread a few weeks ago when I noticed that vandals had gone into Cass Tech to paint on all of the window on the South side of the building, and then opened all of the windows exposing the building to the elements. Regardless of the politics of the DPS,the way this city abandons its older yet still useful structures, etc., or the fact that I have an emotional tie to Cass because I am a 1972 alum, I am still of the mind that because of the history of this place and that it is, at least for the time being, a sturdy structure, it can be refitted in some useful way.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2264
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are also scrappers in the school across 75 from the bing facility between clay and holbrook. they have all of the ground floor enterances covered (from what i can see driving by) with those big metal panels too, but they still are tearing out window frames on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.