Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » How much to have a house demolished? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our ex-neighbors' house is on the market for $16,000. Nobody seems to want to buy it because it's such an eyesore and falling apart. If the price was right and my wife and I bought it, any idea how much it would cost to have the place demolished? It's two stories, about 1600 square feet, plus a two car garage.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 550
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I almost went through with an identical scenario almost a year ago. Plan on it costing around $10,000 or so for the demo and getting the utilities capped.

If you buy it and have it demolished before December 31, property taxes on that property will go down for next year, since there will no longer be a structure on the property.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A gallon of gasoline is what, three bucks and some change?

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 443
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't pay more than $5k.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3490
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, get a bulldozer & knock it down...:-)

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EC,

Send me an email . My handle @ msu dot edu

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 553
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Don't pay more than $5k.

Good luck with that one, but not impossible if you personally know a contractor that can do it. I think I was quoted $6000 and $8000 to demo a 1200 square foot one-story non-brick house on a crawl-space, 1 car garage, concrete driveway removed, and surface grading (foundation dug out, crawl-space back-filled and levelled). The lower one was through a friend who works in construction (fully insured and legit work). The higher one was an out of the phone book contractor. Definitely get more than one quote. If you can find someone to do it for under $5K, more power to you! Rates may be cheaper once prime construction weather is over when contractors are looking for work. I'm pretty sure the city has to cap the water service (my city requires this), and that may run a few hundred.

Quonset_hut
Username: Quonset_hut

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you buy it and have it demolished before December 31, property taxes on that property will go down for next year, since there will no longer be a structure on the property."

Good luck in getting the utilities disconnected by the end of the year. Last year, it took a friend over nine months just for that....

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call Bobby Ferguson Enterprises.

Pay three times the going rates.

In my fantasy world I would restore the draft for any able bodied kid that doesn't finish high school. They would not be used to fight wars, they would be part of a public work corp that would be empowered to demolish abandoned structures and maintain vacant lots in cities such as Detroit. And while in "boot camp" they would be required to study towards a GED. May as well try to keep some of these lost souls out of prison instead of just fast tracking them in with rest of the population paying for the consquences.

This nation is eventually have get it's collective head out of it's ass. We will never solve problems by worrying about being nice or borrowing cash from other nations.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.