Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Oklahoma City is passing up Detroit! ASHAME « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gthomas
Username: Gthomas

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.co m/showthread.php?t=156332

Get on the ball DETROIT! You will left behind and forgotten! I just dont understand our problem on why we cant get moving along and getting things done here!

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 548
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we have more important Issues then building another 50+ story skyscraper!

Gthomas

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who said we have to stop dealing with building the city up to settle with other city problem...in that case we will never see anything accomplished. Cities across the states will always have problems but why put a city on hold because of some financial or government issues.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 714
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to see how that fares when the next tornado roars through Oklahoma City.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/to rnadodata/okc/

Gthomas

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will never get the big picture....the economy is HORRIBLE but does that means stop working. Create jobs, education, retail and such. WHY STOP? I will not sit on my ass and watch others cities grow.

Gthomas

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived there for 4 years and theres not many tornadoes that comes through the city. The city has just as many or more problems than Detroit. But they have moved foward and change OPTISMISTIC people

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plan of Detroit set by the government is to build 10-15 story structures if they're built downtown. This probably won't change under a new mayor.

There simply is not the demand for the 50 story tower - hell, we don't have demand for what we have now. We did that with the Rencen, and it had a devastating impact on downtown for years.

The last thing we need is another 1.9 million square feet on the market. Want to see that vacancy rate hit 40%? Build your 50 story tower and dilute the market even more.

Building for building's sake is not smart economic policy, not in the suburbs, and not in the city.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 549
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree!

Lets have the Historic Buildings get filled up first!

How many other Major cities have as many Historic Skyscrapers as Detroit?

Modern buildings are just more glass and maybe a green tint to the glass

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3494
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Skyscrapers aren't always important. It's the density & street-level activity that's important. People don't travel 100,000 miles just to look out the observation area in the Sears Tower. Remember, Europe is full of 8 story buildings."

I wonder who said that bullshit? :-)

One sign that a large city is dying is when buildings (especially skyscrapers) stop going up & the few around are turned into surface lots or urban prairies.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on August 27, 2008)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 12159
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the best cities in the world lack skyscrapers. I would prefer 20 4 story buildings to fill up land than one 80 stopry skyscraper. Eye level is what makes cities enjoyable.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It comes down to philosophy, really.

Are cities chiefly buildings; or are cities chiefly people?

As I get older, I've switched from the first to the second. Buildings have no life or meaning unless there are people creating memories and experiences there.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3495
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, yet, some of the best cities in the world are a skyscraper jungle.

So that's really a subjective issue.

Anyway, Detroit has the critical mass to support tall & dense buildings, it's just that the current population doesn't prefer this type of lifestyle.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6199
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Expect near-record office vacancy rates in 2009.

Jt1

Post Number: 12161
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rise - Very true.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine, OKC is a fraction of Detroit's size, but in terms of square miles it does rank as one of the biggest cities-El Paso & Albuquerque too. OKC's cash crop is oil/energy, which if you noticed has done pretty good lately while the Big 3, hasn't(there's oil derricks on the lawn of the state capitol). It's fun to be provincial & mock other cities but don't get pissy when people do it to Detroit. It's fun to drink a beer in Bricktown then go see a minor-league baseball game(you can also have a good time in Tulsa-the biggest bldg there, Williams Tower , is a giant router for something like 40% of this country's fiber traffic)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt..

Prime example...Look at Paris and London...

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3498
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc, look at NYC & Toronto.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 708
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at Nashville's Signature Tower!

Detroit could do this too. And some. But I don't think investors want to do anything with KK in office.

<313>

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drise...

I'd prefer 50 20-25-story buildings with 1 or 2 adequately scaled landmark buildings to be perfectly honest...

The condition at the street level is vital to how citizens interact with their city.

I'm not saying high-rises are bad...even new york is only putting up 30-35 story buildings lately

Novine

Post Number: 715
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's fun to be provincial & mock other cities but don't get pissy when people do it to Detroit."

I pointed out a fact that Oklahoma City gets nailed by tornadoes on a fairly regular basis. Name another US city that gets hit that frequently? I didn't think you could. Building a 50 story glass tower in that environment makes about as much sense as building in Mississippi flood plain. Looks like we're going to see another example of how short-sighted that idea is pretty quickly:

"The final landfall location of Gustav depends on the strength and speed of a trough of low pressure forecast to move across the Midwest U.S. late this week. While it currently appears that Louisiana is the most likely target, keep in mind that if you're in the cone of uncertainty, you're not safe. Final landfall of Gustav could occur anywhere from Texas to the Florida Panhandle. The latest GFDL model predicts landfall near New Orleans on Sunday night as a Category 3 hurricane."

http://www.wunderground.com/bl og/JeffMasters/show.html

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3501
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine, Dallas...

The only city that's been directly hit is Nashville, Dallas, Salt Lake City & Atlanta.

I don't recall OKC being directly hit by a twister.

Jt1

Post Number: 12164
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OKC got hit by a horrible twister about 6-7 years ago. It took out a big part of the GM facility down there.

Novine

Post Number: 717
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to belabor the point:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/to rnadodata/okc/figure5.php

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the thread from yesterday (I think) that Detroit office vacancy rates in 2009 are expected to be over 22%? Why would someone want(and why would we want someone) to build a new 50 story office tower?

Maybe someone should build a world-class zeppelin mooring facility downtown--it would look cool, cost less, and be about as useful.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4973
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OKC's new building looks like a giant vibrator

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 275
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, they just got their first pro team...let them celebrate.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 713
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess it would be cool to view a twister from the 50th floor?

<313>

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OKC is a slower pace than Detroit, and the cost of living, apartments, home prices, is better than Detroit also.

However,to me, Detroit has better constructed homes.

I like Oklahoma City. Bricktown is very nice.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think you need to be building a huge skyscraper right now. What Detroit needs to do is find some way to fill up the buildings it has. Rather than build a 50-story tower that probably won't fill up, renovate a building. If it fills up, renovate another.

Baby steps.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, technically Novine is right, that '99 one cut thru the southern city limits of OKC, it was a bad one it tore up Moore, OK pretty good
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O klahoma_Tornado_Outbreak
Funny story bout the Moore F-5 I had a buddy stationed there in the Coast Guard(pork barrel, there's a big Port up in Catoosa) a couple guys who just got stationed in OKC were freaked out newbies when they heard there was a twister alert so they wisely went out touristing-following the path of this F-5 & just gaping @ the destruction when the neighborhood started looking really familiar...they realized this thing took out their apt building while they were "chasing" it, that same twister caused a bunch of people in OKC to jam beneath an overpass like in this newsvideo,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =lHBZylcxIvw
only they were at an angle, & unlike the video took the hit head-on...it's not a good idea, they were all sucked out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jqRNZqRKVyo
I don't thnk anyone would fault the residents of Bloomfield Hills for getting hit in '76, & the Price Tower has been "lucky"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P rice_Tower

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 347
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how someone is using the "OKC is building, why not Detroit?" argument.

Here's a clue, its a single occupancy building. Devon Energy, this isn't a dispersed-private-demand endeavor.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This tower is just a proposal. There's almost no chance a tower of this size could be financed in the current environment.

Generally speaking, towers make no sense for downtown Detroit. The city has the highest office and hotel vacancy rates in the nation. A new highrise would just lead to a few more abandoned prewar towers.

Oh, and DM_cc, while it is true that NIMBYism is a big problem in NYC, there is no shortage of tall towers planned or u/c. According to emporis.com, there are 175 highrise u/c in NYC, of which 23 are taller than 500 feet. Both numbers are easily the highest totals in North America.

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 348
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^there is no need for finance in the terms that we some most development. This building doesn't need to sign 40% of square footage, this is a wholly private building, to be occupied by one tenant. If Devon has the cash...

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's also what would have to be done in Detroit, too. I do agree though. Now is just not the time.

Large buildings are more like rewards for success, really. We have to work our way up to that.

Big companies don't start off with big buildings. They start out in all those little ones, like on Woodward and Kennedy Square, or even smaller... or in older buildings like Penobscot. Support those small businesses who are investing in the city now, no matter how small, and you will get your towers (while other new ones move into those old spaces).

Relocations will happen too. However, the small business success rate is a much easier task.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.