Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Cisco executive slain in Detroit » Archive through August 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the San Jose Mercury News. Not trying to blame the victim here, but you gotta wonder how a Silicon Valley up-and-comer born and raised in Maryland ended up in a strip club on 8 Mile? Something doesn't add up.

Cisco executive slain in Detroit is remembered as gifted techie, dedicated family man

http://www.mercurynews.com/new s/ci_10309586?nclick_check=1

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to see how the yesers or is that yassers are going to spin this one and show how this will benefit Detroit.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I read this earlier, terrible. No wonder when I talk to people about Detroit they say they are afraid to visit the city. I usually say violent crime is isolated to certain areas and a good safe time can be had in the city but people can turn around and throw this in my face as their example. Quite disheartening.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3433
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gritty 8 mile?

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're doing exactly that - blaming the victim. He can't go to a strip club on the border of the suburbs without expecting to get robbed and shot?

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to know the full story. I'm thinking this guy went to a strip club on 8mile got buzzed up and some criminal thugs in there noticed him all vulnerable. This guy looks a bit naive and probably didn't check his surroundings or back and exited the club possibly drunk. Then the thugs followed him out. But why shoot him? Why not just take the money and go? Also he could have been so buzzed up, left the club and starting roaming the 8 mile area. Never good.

Either way why the robbers shot him? Maybe there was a struggle but this guy doesn't seem like the fight back type. These "senseless" murders are the worst.

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You’re right I was thinking the same thing.

I'm sure there was a big rush at the boss’s office to see who would be able to attend that conference.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that, too, but there are so many different scenarios that could have played out. Maybe he got lured away by a dancer and robbed? Maybe he got blitzed and picked a fight? Maybe he was trying to cop and the deal went bad? Could be a million things. But I agree I want to know the whole story, too, and I am sure I am not alone.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they were hitman from Lucent Technologies.

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Either way a few thousand people in San Jose now REALLY REALLY REALLY hate Detroit because of one or a couple thugs here. I hope those criminals get what's coming to them and I'm not talking about jail time.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 447
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Maybe he got blitzed and picked a fight?"

You simply cannot stop blaming victims of crime in the city, can you?

How about this scenario: the city has many, many criminals who prey on innocent victims. Does that ever cross your mind?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an URL that when you click it works... the Mercury News appends URLs.

http://www.mercurynews.com/new s/ci_10309586

As to the story - this will only hurt us on a national level, regardless of the stupidity he may or may not have executed; and reinforces what many people think about Detroit, especially out there.

KoD has very valid points - and of course, when there's a couple strip clubs downtown, what was he doing up on 8 Mile if he was supposed to be downtown? Coulda just gone with friends or whatever, but curious.

But there is no positive spin possible.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11839
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Not trying to blame the victim here, but you gotta wonder how a Silicon Valley up-and-comer born and raised in Maryland ended up in a strip club on 8 Mile? Something doesn't add up.

The news covered this several days ago, stated he had hit several strip clubs up and down 8 mile that night. Channel 4 has a small story on it.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/17302968/detail.html

I'm gonna have to agree with KindofDetroit's speculation. The guy probably was either a bit buzzed up, unaware of his surroundings, or perhaps a bit of both. I'm sure there are those out there who prey upon unsuspecting people around strip clubs. I believe the news stated he parked down the block from the club, which probably wasn't the smartest thing to do in the first place.

Not trying to justify this guy's death by any means, but it should serve as a reminder that you gotta be careful out there and take precautions.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 448
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a great tourism slogan:

"Detroit, where you gotta be careful out there and take precautions."

Mortalman

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it, Hockey_player! What a tourism slogan. But, I'm sure he did something to cause his own death he says with sarcasm dripping from his puffy lips that were made that way by an attempted mugging on Washington Blvd. 2 nights ago! But, you ought to see the MFer that tried to do the mugging! :-) I'll bet he hasn't had a decent shit since I kicked him all the way across Washington Blvd. as he tried to crawl away. :-)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tourism ads usually don't direct tourists visiting New York to "visit East New York!" or visitors to Chicago "check out Lawndale!"

This guy wandered into a not-so-good situation where tourists don't often find themselves. "How did he end up at 8-mile strip clubs, instead of downtown strip clubs?" is a valid question.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop pulling unfounded theories out of your asses. Lets just realize that this was a tragic event that unfortunately happens in this and many other cities across the country. Speculation makes you look like an idiot.

Mortalman

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, Gumby!

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is this a not so good situation?
The neighborhood that the club is located in isnt as bad as many in the city. It is what it is, some assholes preying on someone that was completely vulnerable. This shit is sickening!
Why the hell did they have to shoot him?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 452
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a fact of life, going to certain areas in any city are not good for one's good health. I've walked around quite a few areas in this city and haven't (yet) been bothered.

I'm not blaming the victim, but we don't know the full story. Eight Mile is rough.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 12143
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's a fact of life, going to certain areas in any city are not good for one's good health.

Shoudl we accept it as a fact of life. Nobody should be killed unless they are doing something illegal. Every rape or murder in the city should be taken as a call to action to improve the city so this isn't just accepted as being in a rough neighborhood.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8446
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is 8 mile rougher than anywhere else in the city? It at least has open businesses on both sides of the road. It has some decent neighborhoods too. Granted, Royal Oak Township can fall off the map and make a lot of people happy, but other than that, I don't see how it's rougher than some other places.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know why some executive from the left coast getting killed here should attract a lot of attention, when he was out visiting strip clubs in unfamiliar neighborhoods which at best shows very poor judgement and he was in a place he obviously could have stayed away from.

Many of the hundreds of people who are killed in Detroit every year are killed in their own neighborhoods, just trying to eke out a living and make their way through this world as best they can. They aren't out drinking, they aren't visiting strip clubs, they aren't in a neighborhood they're unfamiliar with. They're just trying to get by in their own neighborhoods and get killed, and nobody pays them the least bit of attention.

My outrage is directed at the lack of attention we and the media give to the people in Detroit who are victims, but the minute some rich guy gets killed outside a strip club it's a big effing deal.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 12144
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My outrage is directed at the lack of attention we and the media give to the people in Detroit who are victims, but the minute some rich guy gets killed outside a strip club it's a big effing deal.

Very true. But it isn't just out of towners. Compare the number of fires in Detroit that displace families every day. Compare all of the coverage of those to the coverage of the recent Harrison Township fire.

The local media tends to not consider victims of murder, fire, etc in the city as real victims. Demographics rule coverage and the typical demographic in Detroit is obviously not a concern to the local media.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 449
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see how some people on the forum can be satisfied here. On the one hand, if murders and fires in Detroit are underreported, it's because Detroiters don't count.

On the other hand, if every single murder or shooting were covered, then the media is unfairly portraying Detroit in a negative, one-dimensional light, and focusing too much on sensational violence.

Which is it?

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 979
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But why shoot him? Why not just take the money and go?

If you kill the victim, then he can't describe what you look like to the police, or identify you in a lineup or testify against you in court.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This guy looks a bit naive and probably didn't check his surroundings or back and exited the club possibly drunk."

Or, perhaps he travels a lot and is used to visiting cities where taking a cab to a strip club after a work-related event isn't something that puts one in danger of losing their life.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 980
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Very true. But it isn't just out of towners. Compare the number of fires in Detroit that displace families every day. Compare all of the coverage of those to the coverage of the recent Harrison Township fire.

The local media tends to not consider victims of murder, fire, etc in the city as real victims. Demographics rule coverage and the typical demographic in Detroit is obviously not a concern to the local media.

Ah yes, the race card. Touche. Well, friend, had you actually BOTHERED to watch the television coverage of the Harrison Township apartment complex fire (which, BTW, left over 60 people homeless), you would have seen that there were numerous black residents in that apartment complex who were victims of that fire as well.

And please, tell me, how many fires in Detroit leave 60 people homeless at a time? Don't pretend like that is an everyday occurrence in Detroit. Any fire that burns down an entire complex and leaves dozens of people without a home will make the news regardless of whether it happens in Detroit or in the burbs. In your zeal to paint the media as racist, you are resorting to intellectual dishonesty and outright lies.

Mortalman

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are talking about one of the reasons it is so important to let people know how bad the City of Detroit is because it’s the only way to change it or in the parlance of the day to transform this negativity into something positive. If we say how bad things are then people will be informed if people are informed then they may make a decision not to come to Detroit if they don’t come to Detroit then that will take money out of the pockets of Detroit businessmen if you take money out of the pockets of Detroit businessmen then the Detroit businessmen will put pressure on the city fathers and mothers. This is the only way to force the change. It can only happen when you pinch the pocketbooks of the businessmen. I know it might be hard in a city where almost ½ the city is on welfare or aid of some sort but I think it’s the only way to effect change the change that is necessary. Look -- with things so negative in Detroit it’s the easiest thing in the world to make positive change because you can do nothing but go up. At least that was what my sales manager use to say about handling negative sales objections. :-)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"when there's a couple strip clubs downtown, what was he doing up on 8 Mile if he was supposed to be downtown? "

When people from out of town hear 8 Mile, they think of the movie "8 Mile" and it piques their interest.