Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » West Village area in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 455
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone live in this area? What is it like?

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Complete Shithole.

Ahem...funny joke. Fantastic area. Ranges from expensive mansions (like on Parker) to bohemian coolness. I love West Village and WISH WISH WISH someone would reopen the harleQUINN. Hello!

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 457
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know...the Harlequin, first time I drove by the place, I thought it would be a great place for a casual menu and drinks.

A little neighborhood place...

Thanks for the info, Quinn. You're in Indian Village, yes?

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to the owner of the Harlequin? I liked his laid-back attitude and just in general thought it was a good place for a splurge. Is he cooking anywhere in the area these days? Sorry to threadjack--if there's major interest I'll start a new thread.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 935
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very quaint out ot the way place, the Harlequinn. Took a bike ride through the area.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an apartment called The Parkhurst?? They had a resturaunt called The Royal Eagle, it was open in the 1980"s and early 90"s. it was owned by the people who owned Under The Eagle. It Was in east village. Does anyone remember this place, it was linen table cloths and great food.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 462
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 337
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pkbroch...The apartment building that housed the Royal Eagle was the Parkstone (the building also houses the Harlequin). the Parkhurst is across the street.

I lived in the Parkstone for 3 years from '79 to '92...great building, great neighborhood.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3130
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it has a nicer mix of grand houses, nice apartment buildings and humbler edifices, whereas nearby Indian Village is all homes of the grandest style.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: There was an apartment called The Parkhurst?? They had a resturaunt called The Royal Eagle, it was open in the 1980"s and early 90"s. it was owned by the people who owned Under The Eagle. It Was in east village. Does anyone remember this place, it was linen table cloths and great food.

The building is the Parkstone apartments, a nice apartment building, at least it was in the 80s when friends lived there.

The Eagle specialized in gourmet Polish food "from between the two wars"
The interior of the restaurant was like going back into the 1920s. I miss that place.

(Message edited by 56packman on August 29, 2008)

Pkbroch

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Harlequin closed now and if so for how long.

Pkbroch

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Harlequin closed now and if so for how long.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 468
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it is closed, Pk.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 469
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is security in the West Village?

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 495
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Harlequin closed maybe a week after I moved to West Village. Let me see, this must have been in late August/early September of 2005.

Rone
Username: Rone

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved there a year ago from Grosse Pointe. The neighborhood is really nice. DSS does security patrols in West and Indian village. There is a home tour of the houses for sale next month and the wheel house has a bicycle tour of the neighborhoods schedule the same day. If you are interested, come check it out.

Quinn

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Lodgerdodger. We're on seminole right around the corner from Harlequinn and loved the proximity and atmosphere, if not the service, of that place.

Quinn

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Texorama, we saw him at Rumors just this week actually. Didn't speak to him, but he was next to us at the bar pitching some business idea to someone.

I never liked Sherman and blame him for that place closing. It was hard to support a place with such shitty service. Seriously...never had anyone who knew how to make drinks, food took FOREVER to get and was expensive. I mean he couldn't even figure out how to keep the bar stocked.

Terrible. If I had any money to spare, I'd reopen with a chef and trained wait staff . bartenders. It has/had a great name and reputation...that alone would make it worth a shot.

Anyone looking? Seriously it's a great opportunity.

Pkbroch

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a very respected travel web site called trip advisor. On Their Detroit guide under restaurants it lists Harlequin with a review in December 2007. I have attached a link below. I do not think their reviews are accurate and up to date. Check it out, I am a member and have been complaining about this for several months. Let me know.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Res taurant_Review-g42139-d389944- Reviews-Harlequin_Cafe-Detroit _Michigan.html

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 470
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad we can't all go in together and start the place up...the area needs a good neighborhood gathering place.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 787
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps 15 years ago, a professional group that I belonged to made arrangements for a luncheon at the Harlequin. There were ±25 of us and we arrived promptly at the appointed time. 21/2 hours later, the last of us finally were served their meals. The food, IIRC, was delicately prepared; but the wait and Sherman's extremely rude behavior negated any good feelings about the food.

What should have been an enjoyable event for us, was without doubt the worst "fine dining" experience our group ever had. What should have been an opportunity for Sherman to showcase his restaurant and food to a large group of professional Detroiters was a public relations disaster for him.

After that experience, I knew I'd never return to the Harlequin.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, West Village. I lived on Parker in the early 1980's, on the top floor of the house right next to the Parkhurst. West Village is what made me fall in love with the potential that is Detroit.

Quinn

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pkbroch...a perfect reason to take it over. It's still listed in guides like these. amazing.

All that word of mouth for free.

Quinn

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr totally know what you're talking about. It amazes me it stayed open for so long.

He was always rude.

When he was talking at the bar the other night I had to keep rolling my eyes.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 246
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The place was great before Sherman bought it. We have several Friends in West Village. Their houses are beautiful.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Representing Saint Paul Street here. Not been there long, but have had friends there for years and they have always spoken very highly of West Village prompting my move there.

Username: 1805

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Live in West Village and LOVE it. We have our community garden (Shipherd Greens!), great racial and economic diversity of neighbors, and proximity (river, belle isle, indian village and downtown)...

My favorite niche.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1805, Drop me a note at "MyUserName"@aol.com. I have a question about the Greens...

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 488
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1805, where is the Shipherd Greens?

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Benno's? The best Beef Wellington.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 338
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorothyd...I remember Benno's (the restaurant) and Benno (the owner) very well. He was quite a character and his restaurant was one of the best in the city. As I recall, he moved the place out to the 'burbs several years ago after I moved out of the neighborhood. I lost touch with him after that.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benno had a place in Royal Oak for a time then moved to the Harbor Springs area. I believe he has since passed away. Great guy and quite a character!

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't he also have a place in Harmonie Park area for a while after he left the Agnes St. location?

Rone
Username: Rone

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shipherd Greens is on the corner of Shipherd and Agnes.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are at all curious about the homes for sale in West Village, come to the "Living in the V" Villages Real Estate Open House on Saturday, Sept 27! There will be a number of open houses in West Village, Indian Village and the rest of the "Villages" area, neighborhood presentations, and also a realtor-guided tour of bank-owned fixer-upper homes for sale.

The event is at the aforementioned Parkstone Apartments at Parker & Agnes:

http://www.thevillagesofdetroi t.org/events.php

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.