Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » What are the plans for Capital Park? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have information on what exactly the city plans to do with Capital Park once the new Transit Center opens? I'd assume it's destined to become a greenspace, but I've never seen any real plans.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 653
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Capitol Park

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2258
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hopefully a hose down is on the to-do list

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 554
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait is that the park with the fish head sculpture?

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 633
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I don't know, but the other night my wife and I walked through after a Tiger game and the bar, and I felt afterwards like that had been a poor decision.

We had parked at the Trolley Plaza garage, and were headed that way from Coaches Corner, but had to make a detour to the Charter One ATM on Campus Martius for cash.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 966
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they are going to let it rot and then rededicate it as Kwame Kilpatrick Park.

Like all things of high potential in the City of Detroit, They will most likely do nothing and then complain that it is falling apart. Honestly, I HOPE the City does nothing with it, because then perhaps some outside forces will swoop in and do something beautiful with it, but that's just a daydream...

BEST Dream: City Counsil spends $1000.00 to put up rainbow flags and stage a Summer Gay Street Party, then sit back and let the gays swarm around the area rebuilding it into the newest trendy downtown neighborhood. Honestly, with appropriate beat walking "well trained" policing, it COULD happen.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 641
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duo- Thanks for the laugh re the rainbow flags.

The sad thing is that it probably would work here. Sadder still, a little tolerance and city cooperation has generally worked else where... Chicago comes to mind. Saddest of all though, is that the iron grip of the black church on anything and everything in Detroit will continue and Ferndale will be the closest to a gayborhood this area ever sees.
Oh well...me and my disposable income are off to Saugatuck for the long weekend where we are welcome.

(Message edited by higgs1634 on August 28, 2008)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2784
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Udm, I'm not understanding your post. What was a bad idea, the fish head sculpture, the moving of the transit center, or your walk through Capitol Park after the Tiger's game?

The question I have is that once Rosa Parks Transit Center opens, will those unsavory characters still hang out in Capitol Park or move over to the transit center? In either case, the outcome is not positive. Patrons of the Book Cadillac, for example, will probably run into these characters often.

Now, as long as there are low income and Section 8 residents living in that area, you're going to have people hanging around various focal points in downtown. Griswold is a focal point. It is where the corner party stores are located. As long as they are in the area they're going to attract people of all kinds, the savory and unsavory. I'm not sure if there's anything that you can do about that. If you're low income and living downtown, then you probably don't have a car so you walk to everything and hang out at certain spots like a park. That's no different than if this person lived in a typical Detroit neighborhood.

I know that many on this forum want to see Capitol Park returned to greenspace, but I'm not sure if that will solve the problem of the homeless and other unsavory characters from hanging around there. In fact it will probably encourage it. One alternative I have is to close off Capitol Park and use it for a private parking lot for the residents of the Farwell and the other buildings next to the park. Gone will be the park, but also gone will be the unsavory folks. Worse case scenario but a scenario to think about.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 642
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Keeping with the theme of parking lots being the highest and best use for any under-utilized flat space in the D.

/sarcasm.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgs1634, the city is helping to sponsor a gay home tour September 28th. There's been ALOT of coordination by the city and gay organizations to make this happen (they plan to advertise for it soon here. Will be a LGBT Home Tour).

I've always thought, bring in the gays to Capitol Park and let us clean it up. We're looking for a neighborhood for bars, clubs and restaurants anyway. The area has fantastic architecture and scale.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, Quinn. Ferndale made a conscious effort to be gay-friendly and it has made a huge difference IMHO. I know some of the people who were involved with that effort. Capitol Park area, go for it!

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's with the market that just opened up in Capitol Park? I haven't had the chance to check out the park for a while. Is it one of those blunt wraps and 40oz kind of places or do they sell real items?

What about the Urban Bean Co, how are they faring?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7242
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777 and Royce...

I had to LOL... I think the "fish head sculpture" that French777 is referring to is actually the "Millenium Bell" (which was commissioned, inaugurated, and rung at the start of the new millenium) in East Grand Circus Park (where Madison Ave. runs into GCP).

LOL... now that French777 mentioned it, it certainly does resemble a fish head sculpture, but since I knew it was actually a bell, I always refer to it as the "Millenium Cow Bell"... :-)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5298
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce: those transit users sure are unsavory.

I know what you mean, though, if we're looking at outward appearances and how the regular person perceives those appearances.

The move of the bus depot probably will have a major impact, but honestly it will probably just mean less people around on the street. I think an emptier street is a scarier one. The Book-Cadillac guests don't necessarily have to walk through CP, and I'm sure they'll be directed towards CMP and the riverfront by the concierge if they ask where the nice places to hang out are.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those that don't know, Capital Park is so named because when Detroit was the State Capital, the building was located near that location.

old CP development thread: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/89914/97416.html?1175256 391

did a quick search on what was the outcome of the market study, but couldn't find it.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, when your done with Capitol Park pleaaassse come to Hamtramck

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban Bean is doing as good as they want to do, the new stores in Capital Park are ok, one is a 40/blunt wrap store and the one on State is a little better with some food items that aren't chips. I heard that Capital Park was the gay hood at one time. Believe it or not the neighborhood is full of what Danny calls "skinny white kids" I compare it to Melrose Place.

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, the idea of turning a park into a parking lot brought a single tear down my left cheek, circa the 1970s Native American pollution commercial. Sad thing is, I can see it happening.

The party stores in Capitol Park may not be gourmet grocers, but two of them are open 24 hours, a convenience you can't find anywhere else in the city, including Greektown.

A greenspace would make those buildings much more attractive to developers, and there are more than enough parking garages in the surrounding area to accomodate them. The new Book-Cadillac ramp and the Merchants Row parking garage are the two that come to mind.

Why is it okay for everyone to bash the idea of a fabricated African Community (Paradise Valley) but fully support the idea of a fabricated gay neighborhood? Wouldn't the two be equally beneficial in terms of redevelopment and increased activity? The only difference I can think of is that a gay community would be privately funded by various business owners and Paradise Valley is relying heavily on tax dollars.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You answered your own question with your last sentence.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 969
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, exactly. You answered your own question Amgasper01.

Put a small water feature in the middle, surround it with either green grass or flower beds done in french style... That would be awesome.

and while I find it encouraging that there is coordination to have a GLB home tour, I am mostly discouraged by the overall actions of the City and City Counsel in general, that I highly doubt any gayborhood would be willingly coordinated, unless of course there is some lining of pockets going on. sorry, I am just a little jaded when it comes to the Counsel.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detduo, you're so cute when you're angry :-)

By the way, I recently found that we have some common friends....not surprising with a gay community as small as Detroit's.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 970
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't make me scuff my Prada's! :-)

We'll have to introduce ourselves at a "Guerilla" event.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 215
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's a "Guerilla" event?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.