Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Beans and Bytes Closed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped by the Beans and Bytes Cafe on Woodward and they had a sign outside that said it was closed. I went inside, and the owners were there packing things up and told me they were closing for good. I asked them what happened and they said there were several reasons but, that business was slow. I thought that was so unfortunate considering they were in the heart of Midtown, and provided a much needed service for the WSU and Midtown in general. It was a cross between Starbucks and Kinkos and a great concept! I am so sad to see them go, and so disheartened that they did not get the support they deserved.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 797
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sorry to hear that as well! I waited for quite a while for them to open just before I moved away from Midtown. Losing good and potentially viable city businesses is always sad...

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. There is really a huge opportunity for an entrepreneur to really hit one out of the park with the right kind of coffeehouse now that both Beans and Bytes and Amsterdam are gone.

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they would've allowed smoking they probably would've survived

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4980
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 5:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

doubt it - too many smokers tends to drive away non-smokers

most coffee shops don't allow smoking

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 965
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVED Amsterdam's coffee, but refused to go, because even 2 minutes in there to wait for my coffee to-go and I smelled like I washed my clothes with cigarette butts.

I tried many time the coffee at beans and bytes, but I am sorry, it SUCKED. Admittedly, Cafe de Troit caused me to become a coffee snob. Cafe could MAKE a cuppa-joe! B & B just had a very inferior product and I can only drink so many bad cups.

Now Urban Bean? That guy also knows how to serve up some Joe. I hope THAT place sticks around...

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hunchentoot, I agree totally--a great big opportunity. But please, no smoking, or at least a place to get away from the smokers. I did sometimes go to Beans & Bytes, but the vibe was off somehow. I miss Cafe de Troit (Lee P., are you, your fabulous coffee, and your honeyed Alabama accent out there??? the time is now!

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at Beans and Bytes for over two years; I can say the owner was the worst employer I've ever worked for, I'm surprised they lasted that long. Sorry to sound so cynical but the truth is the truth, and yes, the coffee did suck. Sorry again, that may have been my fault...

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 985
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry to see Beans and Bytes go, but in all honesty, it was not my favorite place. I went there a number of times, but I never felt "at home" there. Amsterdam, that THAT was a coffee shop - and a great loss. Beans and Bytes was just lacking a nice decor, sorry to hear it, but it wouldn't have lasted even just a few months in any other city.

We have Urban Bean downtown and soon Urban Grounds in Eastern Market...
I I would bet goo money that mercury coffee bar will be awesome.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy - do you know when Urban Grounds will be opening?

ps. about 95% of the people who have been in my office the last week love your record clock that I bought from Bureau. you best plan on uping production on those!

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 650
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Urban Grounds that place south of Gratiot near Chene?

Don't forget Cafe con Leche in the Mexicantown Welcome Center and the Jazzy Cafe. If you haven't had the key lime cheesecake at the latter, you're missing out.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 987
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried, thank you so much for the kind words, and for supporting city bird! We actually have some pretty cool (my unbiased opinion) products coming out this holiday season, including new jewelery, and detroit architecture and historical figure items, so check out our website for updates! For clocks, if you would like another, Claire at Bureau (a wonderful store) stocks them frequently, as does Naka in Ferndale, and of course, the clocks are also on our site:

http://www.ilovecitybird.com

In regards to Urban Grounds, from what I hear, it will begin operation within a week or two (next to the Good Girls Go To Paris Crepes market booth, BTW)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mercury coffee bar will be opening in Sept

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 638
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<sigh>
I used to work up the block from Beans & Bytes, enjoyed stopping in, liked the staff--even purchased one of the paintings they were showing.

Of course, I got laid off in May; I'm sure that's what tipped the balance from black to red ink...

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starbucks, Amsterdams, now B&B, jeez.
Maybe have a Hooters type coffee joint, that will wake up em up and keep em coming.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 968
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Texorama: Café is doing fine, but no longer lives in Detroit, nor will she be coming back. Her Café days are over, now. she has a family.

btw, I completely forgot to give a shout out to Jazzy Cafe! He also knows how to make a great Capu. GREAT cafe, too. thanks for reminding me.

Vantanna
Username: Vantanna

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too Bad to hear that about B&B.

Nuclearxwinter
Username: Nuclearxwinter

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the Mercury coffee bar going to be located? I need coffee!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nuclearxwintre, it's at 14th and michigan, across from slows and they are working on it like crazy to get it open

Nuclearxwinter
Username: Nuclearxwinter

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yeah! I knew that I had seen that place somewhere.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 734
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The place was a mess. Thats all I have to say. So as far as a lost business its not good, but really it wasn't a good business so it was to be expected. Items ran out all the time and the coffee was never good, think Dennys or greasy spoon.

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 256
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loovvveeed Amersterdam.

As for Beans and Bytes... well..

They were a coffee shop and they knew NOTHING about coffee.

Seriously, they used pre-weighed PRE-GROUND coffee to brew in the store. Really.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 304
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their coffee was no good.

They did not use real espresso and their brand of pre-ground beans was Paramount which ironically (because of the post 2 posts above me) is the same brand that Denny's uses.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.