Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Is downtown traffic affected by the Grand Prix? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm coming down Saturday morning and staying for the Tiger's game. I was just wondering if I'll be able to take my usual trek down Woodward to Campus Martius and park on Monroe? I know the race it's self is on Belle Isle but I've never been in town when the race was going on.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2257
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

traffic for the game will be more affected by jazzfest than the GP. campus martius will be completely closed for it

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So expect the usual gridlock on Woodward, just like every other event?

So what would you guys suggest? Make your way to Grand Circus Park (Take a look at a map site if you need to pick a route), then take a Broadway/Randolph for the East Side, and Washington Boulevard for the West Side?

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 555
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gridlock in Detroit is good though!
It means a lot of people came to the Event and see the New Detroit!

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish so much that that was true French.

While there will be a nice crowd, the gridlock is because of poor crowd control, and neglection of the fact that a decent number of people live in the CBD.

Many parallel running roads will most likely remain empty, and most CBD residents will not be informed of local closures.

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the head's up, I forgot about the Jazz Fest. I like taking the way I mentioned because I enjoy checking out the Model T plants, Scott mansion, and Brush Park. This time I think I'll just take 75 to the Lafayatte exit and park in the Church's parking lot on Monroe. It's a bit pricy but it's so easy to get back on the expressway. As for the gridlock, I'll be in the Old Shillelagh after the game enjoying a black and tan.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3511
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777, I agree. :-)

Sean, uh, I thought a CBD was suppose to be gridlocked...? How do you think the people living in lower Manhattan feel?

Bcscott, no, I don't expect too much traffic from the Grand Prix in downtown proper. Those people likely ride out Jefferson or Grand Blvd to the nearest expressway/home or Jefferson to I-375 or the Lodge (and vice versa).

That's the problem with Detroit now, a lack of urban congestion or traffic volume. One thing Detroiters are blessed with is the lack of terrible traffic.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on August 28, 2008)

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 559
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How was the Traffic?

I just drove home from the Mackinac Bridge walk and there was just some minor congestion in Bay City

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Detroit version of "congestion" = taking more than 1 cycle to get through a traffic light.

Truth.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.