Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Russel FleaMarket « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 556
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone been here yet?

Worth it to stop by?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 802
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stopped by,when first opened,nothing going on

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew nothing about the flea market. When is it?

Don't get it confused with the Bazaar that is opening soon. Bazaars are more like vending malls... in that they are permanent. Flea Markets are very temporary, and often outdoors on makeshift stands, or sometimes blankets (do I have that all right?).

The Russell Bazaar has a grand opening on September 19th. I do believe they will have a soft opening too.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 557
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Bazaar Thats what I ment to say!

The opening is September 19th!
So is it kinda like Gibraltar Trade Center?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2259
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kind of on the same subject, the second annual "peoples art festival" will be on saturday september 13th outside in the alleys of the russell industrial centre

http://rccadetroit.org/index2. php?id=paf

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is how I understand it... not Gibraltar, Not Flea Market...

Think more european, again, as I understand it (and I think the marketing challenge for them, easily overcame, but look at the words French said at first).

In other countries and big cities there are large markets for stuff that are open all week long with many vendors that you can wander through with lots of different products.

I went to one sorta like that in Los Angeles where there was everything from T-shirts to gadgets to CDs to jewelry - but it wasn't temporary, it was a few blocks large, and it was a tourist destination.

I believe if they do this right - and get people away from the "Flea Market" idea and more toward what I think it's supposed to be, a "European Bazaar" then it'll be a knockout success and something that even tourists will want to go to.

And I don't think location is a problem - for shoppers, it's in a great spot off the Freeway.

Here's a link to TV coverage:

http://www.ricdetroit.org/blog /?p=110

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 435
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For years I looked at that old industrial building on my way downtown, and wished someone would do something with it. Driving down I-75 to the Tigers game on Monday, I looked over, and to my great astonishment, I saw a light on, flags, and a new sign on the building proclaiming the new Russell Bazaar. I really hope they do well!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2260
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

raptor, people have been doing things with that building (well, not that exact building but others in the complex) for YEARS, and well before kellifinos owned it.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on August 28, 2008)

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 437
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravity: Yes, I know, but Joe Blow driving by on the freeway really can't see any of it. All you see is this big, dark, old building and wonder what could be done with it. With the Bazaar as a public draw, the existing work done over in the Russel Industrial complex and the thriving art community over there should gain more popular awareness.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed both Gravity and Raptor. If you want it to succeed, patronize!

There's a "Peoples Art Fair" September 13 that's sponsored by the DIA, Compuware, Cloverleaf wine, and others.

If you check, Raptor, (and I only know it because I drive by it every day) there is a bevy of international flags by the entrance on Chrysler. They should do more over on the Clay entrance, but maybe they do and I don't see it.

They could do some wicked stuff with lighting and signage. That Karpinski's building, as it stands now, is really an eyesore on the corner that hurts it.

Here's a link for the People's Art Fair:

http://rccadetroit.org/index2. php?id=paf

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.