Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Are you going to the labor day parade? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard obama would be at the labor day parade.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5315
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always go regardless of the politicians who attend. However, this one ought to be historic (if it happens). There are people working full time to make it work.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when/where? i've never been

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodward Avenue, down to Hart Plaza ..9:30 a.m. Labor Day Monday

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 251
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building trades and Teamsters unions line up along Trumbull and proceed east along Michigan Ave. to Woodward at 9 a.m. All other unions, UAW, AFSCME, etc, proceed south along Woodward. There aren't many parade watchers from year to year, but there are usually tens of thousands of union members in the parades. Apparently Obama is speaking at Hart Plaza about 11 a.m.?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

when/where? i've never been

You and 99% of the rest of the Metro area.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 348
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never miss the Hamtramck Parade 1:00pm on Monday

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm an 11-year Detroiter living in Midtown, New Center, and now Mexicantown, and I still haven't seen either parade in Detroit or Hamtramck.

I really wanted to go the year that Billy Bragg played at the end of the parade, but you had to have a special pass to get in to the show.

Maybe I'll go this year and check out the Jazz Fest/Obama/Parade.

Pffft

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billy Bragg played for free, don't know what you mean by "special pass."

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 692
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wont miss it this year. Barack Obama and Joe Biden will be there!

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 257
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there (starting on Trumbull). :-)

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will be difficult for Obama to give a speech at 11:00 at Hart Plaza. The Jazz Fest starts up at 12:00.

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any idea which route obama will be taking? i will tell you this is one of the longest parades i've ever seen. i live right on woodward and have been watching for five years.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5323
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billy played for free at Campus Martius, right where the Compuware building is. You could walk up, plus he stood around for about two hours talking to everybody.

The next night, he played a benefit for the newspaper workers at the Majestic, that one cost $20.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3571
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldn't care less about this (or any) parade. But I'd love to do the Mackinac Bridge walk if'n I was in that area.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pardon me for being a beat behind, but what year did Billy Bragg play? If as a benefit for the newspaper strikers it would have been '95, right? I don't recall any entertainment that year beyond a sound truck outside of the Detroit News building after the parade. Am I wrong?

Cookin64
Username: Cookin64

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be there! My third year.....

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5324
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes. you are wrong.

1998 was the Labor Day benefit. The strike/lockout lasted six years, so he played two benefits in that time.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you going to the labor day parade?

No, I need to wash my laundry and mow my lawn.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 589
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was planning to hit the parade to grab some signatures for the recall petition, but I really don't wish to be seen in the presence of the messiah, so I'll be out on the lake Monday instead..
Y'all enjoy your "hope & change" sermon..
:-)

Now I'll hafta work the jazzfest tomorrow so's I don't look like I'm slacking off on the recall thing..

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let’s all go watch a bunch of frumpy, gray suburbanites lurch down the abandoned thoroughfares of Detroit… then listen to them tell us how great the unions are.

Then listen to Barry O. kowtow to them for the “working vote”. So 20th century…

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5309
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, Detx.

And it was the unions that got them the "standard of living" to 'allow' them to leave the City.

Irony will abound.

Pixiedust
Username: Pixiedust

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live right on Woodward, and I can easily walk to Hart Plaza, and . . . I have to work just long enough to miss everything. Of course, I'll be working right downtown during a downtown Obama visit. I fear that I might have a VERY lonely morning.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 243
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went last year. Lots of Marchers few spectators. This tread reminds to ask my son if he is marching. He is now a union worker.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a union steelworker who has never been to the parade is there a way to last minute march in parade?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5341
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. The Steelworkers are meeting at Woodward between Selden and Parsons by 9:30. Look for Healthcare Now! banners. Just show up and say hi.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Let’s all go watch a bunch of frumpy, gray suburbanites lurch down the abandoned thoroughfares of Detroit… then listen to them tell us how great the unions are.

Then listen to Barry O. kowtow to them [unions] for the “working vote”. So 20th century…"

Yeah, just like those silly-ass Memorial Day parades, watching pot-bellied, 80-year old vetrerans weep for something that happened 60 years ago. Boo Hoo. Get on with life, Eh Detx? So 1940's.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alan55, I’m not trying to knock tradition or geriatrics. I think veterans are great. Nothing but respect for them. I just don’t like unions.

Miken123
Username: Miken123

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are some good places to park if I wanted to catch the action at Hart. Obviously the earlier the more chances to make it easy but I have no idea as to what streets are closed which ones aren't, etc. I guess I could always just go and wing it with the people holding the "$15 park all day here" signs or what not (prices vary) but any advice is great.

Thx!

Pffft

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodward is going to be closed, so you have to choose east side or west side (as we always have to, in Detroit)!

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll give you my secret recipe for parking downtown..go to the Leland House at Cass & Bagley, park in their lot for 3 bucks, walk across the street to the people mover station, and get anywhere in the safe & touristy part of downtown within a few minutes..
Safe & cheap parking.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4998
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or the Greektown garage for free - just have to run in and get your ticket validated before you leave

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no validation needed anymore at Greektown..use the stairs and don't even have to go inside!!

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 658
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted some photos of the parade. I did not try getting into Hart Plaza as it was just too crowded.
Detroit Labor Day Parade

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.