Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Barack Obama to rally in Detroit on Labor Day « Previous Next »
Archive through August 29, 2008J_to_the_jeremy30 08-29-08  6:39 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Rogerjab
Username: Rogerjab

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav I hope that's satire, you've got a doddering old fool that can't even put his teeth in anymore and Governor of a state that has more reindeer than people in it,oh yea she's been it's governor for 20 months long months, yep that's a compelling candidacy. I wasn't resisting anything, I was just telling the eerie comparison between Palin and Kilpatrick.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rogerjab, "can't even"? those teeth were smashed out with Vietcong riflebutts while Obama's political mentors were flinging terrorist bombs into homes;
http://www.city-journal.org/20 08/eon0430jm.html

Obama doesn't think much of the D, has never been on the ballot there-he only shows up for your votes & to beat the D up;
http://newsbusters.org/node/12 681

After hearing about Smokin' Joe from his family, I think I know who to vote for, I'm not fond of a couple of lawyers

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 744
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, you're right. I haven't done my homework on this one. Both Palin and public opinion favor drilling. I assumed no governor could get elected who favored drilling but I guess economics has altered residents opinions over the last 10 years.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 688
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rogerjab....Democrats, Republicans and Libertarians - AS IF.

We're talking professional politicians here.

I truly feel sorry for anyone that believes there are any Leaders in this country.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5303
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401: I'm anything but an expert on Alaska either haha (who is?), I just caught part of an interview with CNBC where Palin talked about drilling in an environmentally conscious way. Apparently that has some support up there-- economics dictates. It's all about money. For them, it's jobs. And for the rest of America, it's the scepter of cheaper fuel (going to be hard to see that with the growth of Asia)...and the illusion of "energy indepedence." For those Americans who want the stopgap measure of more drilling, Palin and the sway in Alaska might give them some hope.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the topic of this thread...when I "RSVP'ed" on the Obama website, I saw that the gates open at Hart Plaza at 8:30 A.M. I recall when I had what they called a "ticket" to a John Kerry rally just before Election Day 2004 at Macomb Community College in Warren. I stood in line for 3+ hours, only to end up at the absolute back of a college auditorium, unable to understand Kerry's words or see (and I'm 6'3"). Is it going to end up being a problem that I'm marching in the Labor Day Parade? I wonder if Hart Plaza will already be full or have several-hour plus lines by the time I get there...

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is capacity for HP? isn't it 600,000 or so? I am sure, it will be pretty crowded but I dunno about 600,000+ then again you never know.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 724
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Biden can help with Pennsylvania via Philly metro area. It's more than just about Delaware.

It's fun to compare Kwame's qualifications to Palin's. Who knew he had qualifications fit for a VP.

Kwame:
Mayor of city of 900,000
"Executive Experience" - 7 years. Workforce of 15,000 employees.
"Foreign Policy experience" - Mayor of city with international border and multiple border crossings. Has traveled to a number of foreign countries and conducted business with foreign officials (Mayor of Windsor)
"Military Experience" - None but is responsible for operations of 6000 police officers and employees in Detroit Police Department.

Sarah Palin:
Mayor of city of 9,000
Governor of state of 600,000. Workforce of 28,000 including higher ed.
"Executive Experience" - 2 years as governor, 6 years as Mayor
"Foreign Policy Experience" - Governor of a state that borders 2 foreign countries. Unknown if she has met with any foreign officials.
"Military Experience" - Oversight of Alaska National Guard.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow I was way off Everything I am finding says capacity of HP is between 40,000-50,000. I thought the demf said 500,000 would attend every year back in 2000-2001. yeah it is gonna be packed. Line will start when jazz fest ends....

(Message edited by urbanoutdoors on August 29, 2008)

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a speech of more contradictions from Obama. God help us if he is elected!

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 693
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rally with Barack Obama in Detroit

Hart Plaza
Jefferson Avenue E. and Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI

Monday, September 1st
Gates Open: 8:30 a.m.

RSVP here: http://mi.barackobama.com/detr oithart

The event is free and open to the public. Tickets are not required but an RSVP is strongly encouraged

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2115
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scooter2k7: God help us if he [Obama] is elected!

We've already had "God's Choice" for president for almost 8 years, and it has been a disaster. Let's leave the religious catch phrases out of this election, shall we?

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newsweek must be readin' my posts! Ha! LOL!

My post from upthread: Yikes! A (White) female for the Repub VP was a DESPERATE Hail Mary....
Oops! Dropped the ball! Shaky hands.... Obama/Biden '08!

http://www.newsweek.com/id/156 258
McCain’s ‘Hail Sarah’ Pass
His choice for veep is all but set up for failure in the fall.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 789
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I just caught part of an interview with CNBC where Palin talked about drilling in an environmentally conscious way.

No such thing. Anyone who says otherwise is either uninformed or reciting meaningless platitudes in the interest of winning over the uninformed.

Flyingj

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox, it opens up jobs. If there was oil in the U.P. would Granholm sit on her hands? Or is a young, vibrant, female governor willing to do what she can to grow her state's economy an alien concept here? Plus, the woman hunts...I'm sure that will come into play among all the "bitter" people heading North this season.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5313
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..."winning over the uninformed."

Yes! Exactly! That's what elections are. The uninformed have the right to vote.

To my best knowledge there IS minimally invasive drilling.

Anyway, I'm against it because more supply is not the answer. The price effects would be minimal, and would be short-term, anyway. The reality of an oil-free world can only be confronted if we start dealing with constraints now. Higher prices will force us to do this, and have positive offshoots like higher transit use, R/D investment to move along new car and power-production technologies, and less pollution.

Give McCain credit: he opposes drilling in ANWR, and this is in keeping with policies he supports (many of which n other major Republican candidate has supported before), such as cap-and-trade for CO2 (domestic and international), enforcement of CAFE, $2 billion/yr. to clean coal development, support for more nuclear power plants, etc.

For those of you that don't know how cap-and-trade programs work, do some research-- it's the best means for meeting CO2 reduction limits in an efficient manner. Europe has advanced a great deal under this framework, and there are a lot of tweaks, additions, and incentives you can add to manipulate such a program and spread CO2 reduction around the world.

That was a tangent. Anyway, McCain opposes ANWR drilling, but (right or wrong) wants to increase supply by allowing more offshore drilling.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2635
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, all of that is a good example of why we need environmentalists. Elected officials, lawmakers, and other assorted politicians cannot be depended upon to look out for that stuff, and it is unrealistic to expect them to do so.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

young, vibrant, female governor ...

Oh flyingj, is that your heart I hear fluttering?

Flyingj

Post Number: 313
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft, Oh flyingj, is that your heart I hear fluttering?

If it is, I need 2 call my cardiologist. No seriously, Obama comes to town, spews a bunch of gaffes about Japanese mpg superiority to execs here & everybody sucks it up. McCain on the "Straight Talk Express" bluntly tells people the jobs lost here in this last round, unlike '74, '79, '91, are probably gone for good-in this global economy it seems he's right, but they don't wanna hear it. The Volt will save this town as much as that SUV idiocy almost killed it;
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080828/BLO G25/80828067/&imw=Y
People here were stupid. Look at an old school Democratic politician like Scoop Jackson-he always, always looked out for Seattle-& esp Boeing-because he knew they were the same. Meanwhile, you had that hack Phil Hart over here, the Unions had him vote AGAINST automotive projects for Michigan to "punish" the Big 3 never considering they were cutting off their noses to spite their faces...now you'll get me started on that idiot Riegle...

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 712
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in town this weekend.

what is the best way to see Obama and the Tigs tomorrow? People Mover?

I need to get to both point A and B logistically speaking.

Refresh my memory, someone, when does PM open tomorrow? How much walk from Hart to PM?

I'll be with a senior who won't want to walk miles.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5332
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The People Mover station at the Ren Cen is right next to Hart Plaza. You should visit the Obama site to RSVP - and be prepared to wait a very very long time in the sun.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I think I'll skip the speech and show up for the Jazz Festival a little later than planned, to avoid the hassle. A little controversy about the candidates in previous posts, eh?
Two things are certain, no matter which candidate wins: OUR TAXES WILL GO UP. We have a huge tab to pay, with interest, to China, Saudi Arabia, England, and others, who will laugh all the way to their banks while we pay off the Iraq war debt.
THE COUNTRY WILL BECOME EVEN MORE POLARIZED. The opposition party will play "gotcha politics" in response to the necessary tax increase.
Good thing we have good music to take our minds off of this mess from time to time....

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5316
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine: environmentalists don't create policy, agencies and legislators do. Their views and their votes matter. One country or even one continent on its own can't reduce global CO2 emissions, it requires cooperation among leaders. The political groups can talk all they want but they can't actually make this happen.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 713
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks,

do we know when PM will start running tomorrow?

What are normal Sunday and holiday hours?

Emu_steve

Post Number: 714
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks,

do we know when PM will start running tomorrow?

What are normal Sunday and holiday hours?

Special hours tomorrow????

Damon

Post Number: 696
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please join Barack Obama at a rally in Detroit, where he will talk about his vision for bringing America together and creating the kind of change we can believe in.

Rally with Barack Obama in Detroit

Hart Plaza
Jefferson Avenue E. and Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI

Monday, September 1st
Gates Open: 8:30 a.m.

RSVP here: http://mi.barackobama.com/detr oithart

The event is free and open to the public. Tickets are not required but an RSVP is strongly encouraged.

For security reasons, do not bring bags and limit personal items. No signs or banners are permitted.

Thanks,

Obama for America

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marching in the parade, staying for the speech and then spending the day at the Festival--now *that's* a vacation day. :-)

Damon

Post Number: 697
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im leaving for the parade/rally now. The news said people have been waiting in line since before 5am.

(Message edited by Damon on September 01, 2008)

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is any news outlet livestreaming the Obama event today? Chan. 4, 7, and Freep/News make no mention of a webcast. Would love to be there but the wait, crowd, traffic, +80f, kepp me home today.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2502
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your not there by now you might as well just stay home the line is ridiculous.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I look forward to the day when Barack Obama's rally in Detroit on Labor Day of 2008 is a suitable topic for one of the historical discussions on DetroitYes related to, "Do you remember when back on Labor Day of 2008 when Barack Obama.....?" The suitable dustbin of history!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5349
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was great, if brief.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 491
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went it was a large turnout. The speech was brief, and I didn't see KK there? Maybe I was in the wrong part. I did see Team Kilpatrick T-shirts in the labor day parade, about 60 were chanting something I couldn't make out.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5351
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Kwame. No Kwame Mommy, either.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got home about an hour ago...they shut down the southbound Lodge at Howard when I was on my way down, but the backup wasn't too bad, & I parked in Corktown. I was appreciative that they put the Obama speech on the [Jazz Festival?] speakers set up at Campus Martius, so I was able to hear it after leaving Hart Plaza--I would've had to have been there a lot earlier in order to actually get into the plaza. I think my uncle showed up around 8:00 and was unable to get in. It was a great turnout and a big boost to the Labor Day parade, too. I also thought that Kilpatrick's absence was notable (but expected).

Alsodave

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw Bernard Kilpatrick along the parade route, with a bunch of Kwame supporters. Right next to that group were the Recall Kwame bunch. Both groups were very civil to each other.

First time marching--a lot of hurry up and wait, and there was a bottleneck of getting us through into Hart Plaza, but it was worth it.

Random notes--Carl Levin, Robert Ficano and Warren Evans were cheered when spotted (and waved to the crowd), but Ella Bully-Cummings got a healthy dose of boos. We *just* missed Aretha--oh well!

Took a slow walk back to the car (parked behind the DIA), listening to some jazz and enjoying the AC inside the Compuware lobby.

Next year--chairs to *watch* the march and then head to the festival. Concrete was killing my almost old bones. :-)

Liberal_democrat
Username: Liberal_democrat

Post Number: 732
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is Obama's speech in Detroit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =VoVXxGBnC1w

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 746
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised more people who waited hours in the sun weren't upset that no notification was given that a political speech would not be made. I'm assuming the Obama team made this decision either last night or early am and could have made an announcement in the media that only a brief message would be delivered.

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From where I was standing people starting complaining about how we were told the speech would start at 11 am,but it was actually about 11:30 before obama came out at all,we just kept hearing other people speak,people were suffering in the heat. one older woman passed out where i was standing, someone gave her a spare water they had,and people put ice on her,then we had to find medical people to help the woman.the woman pased out after 11 am so,if the obama speech had been on time then she may not have passed out.since people thought it would start at 11,they were gathered packed earlier than they would have.some people missed the whole thing because they came late thinking the speech would be longer,and by the time they came people were leaving because it was over.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 798
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Hurricane Gustav cancelling part of the Republican National Convention, I knew Obama's speech would be brief and apolitical, if it happened at all. So I stayed here in Ann Arbor... I've seen Obama speak twice, and I'm starting to gauge how these things go. :-)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5354
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one cheeered Carl Levin where I was standing. Or was it just me?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to sound unsympathetic, but if you're in fragile health/very old, to go to a rally like today's in 88 degree heat is just not a good idea. I know the desire to go can be overwhelming, but you have to use common sense...it was hard for a healthy adult with no health issues to be out there, I know ...I wore a hat and was well-hydrated (could have used more sunscreen).

Foosie
Username: Foosie

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did the messiah part the Detroit River?

Alsodave

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette, we were on the very far east side of the plaza, which would have been behind and to the right of Obama. It wasn't the applause that Ficano or Evans got, but there were a couple of people yelled "there's Carl Levin" and "shake our hand"! It was a very vocal crowd--behind us they were chanting "we can't hear" when one of the labor leaders were at the podium.

It was great to see Obama, even if we could only hear parts of his speech. For us, the day was more about the crowd of diverse, like-minded people who came together to celebrate labor, the working class, and the change that we feel our country needs.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5356
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, ADave, exactly right.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5000
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone seen an estimate of how many people were there - in the Plaza plus out on Jefferson?

It was packed.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Has anyone seen an estimate of how many people were there - in the Plaza plus out on Jefferson?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d etroitlives/2820689575/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d etroitlives/2820684757/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d etroitlives/2821522114/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d etroitlives/2821521880/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d etroitlives/2821520812/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d etroitlives/2821519716/

THIS many

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5001
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was outside Hart Plaza @ Jefferson & Griswold in front of the Jumbotron

(Message edited by lilpup on September 02, 2008)

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some photos from the Barack Obama Rally in Hart Plaza.

http://www.detroitstockphotos. com/Production/PhotoGroupView. aspx?pbid=4&msa=1&pgid=1856818 7

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those are great pictures,it was so tight in there,that i could barely get pic with my cell phone.i was able to see glimpses of obama,and could hear his voice,it was almost like sardines in hart plaza,i don't remember there ever being so many people,and such tight security.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.