Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Man I had a great day in Detroit. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The twelve hours of brutality I just endured at work reminded me how nice the time I spent in Detroit was. First, it only cost $5 to park behind the Church on Lafayette in Greektown. It's been between $10-$20 for the last few events. Then I decided to walk down Brush to the ren cen so I could check out the riverwalk. I have to say, it's fantastic. There were so many people enjoying the sunshine and fountains, what a great addition to the city.

I decide to walk back up through the financial district and stop by my favorite skyscraper, the Guardian. After I milled around I asked the people at the desk if there was any kind of observation deck? Chris the Consierge said "come with me." We got in an elevator and he took me to the 32nd. floor which was a series of connected rooms with a panoramic view from several windows. That was awesome, I love that building and the view was great. From there I decided to hit Au Bon Pain for a salad and a cookie and listen to the Jazz Fest. Man, what an event. Again, everyone having a good time listening to great music.

I strolled around some more and wound up on John R to take some pics of the Metropolitan and decided to get a crepe at Good Girls go to Paris. It was pretty damn good, although I didn't have any place to sit so I plopped down on the railing of one of the sidewalk planters on Woodward. Afterwards I strolled back to the ren cen and took the elevator to Coach Insignia for another great view of the city. I capped the night off a few rows above the Tigers dugout watching them get their asses kicked but that's the norm these days. No matter, I had one of the best days I've ever had while in Detroit.

Now I know I just stayed downtown and I'm looking through rosey colored out of towner glasses but it was still fun. I also tell everybody I work with about days like this and show them the pictures. One of my co workers who's never been to Detroit booked a night at the Hilton downtown and a Tigers game for her boyfriend's birthday along with an event at the Opera House all based on my enthusiasm for the city. So I guess every little bit helps.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 484
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a wonderful place. I love to hear stuff like this.

*hug*

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

One of my co workers who's never been to Detroit booked a night at the Hilton downtown and a Tigers game for her boyfriend's birthday along with an event at the Opera House all based on my enthusiasm for the city.

That's fabulous! I share your enthusiasm. I am so glad to hear about your day...it just reminds me all over again what a great city we have.

Pixiedust
Username: Pixiedust

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed. I'm all smiles to read about your "adventure." I'm a single mom of a 3-year-old who lives downtown, and we think that this can be a magical place (enough with the eyerolling, already). The Riverwalk is indeed awesome. My daughter is in love with that truly nifty aquatic-themed carousel, and it only costs a dollar to ride. Very cool.
And, Bcscott, I'm glad beyond belief that you mentioned The Guardian Building (and Chris! Yay, Chris! You are my hero, my friend!). I am obsessed with The Guardian Building. It is a remarkable treasure, and far too few Detroiters are taking advantage of basking in the glory of its awesomeness.
But, okay, I digress. The point is, yes (no, YES!), great times can be had here . . . Are being had here. There's much to do, much to see, and great people all around with whom to share your stories.
Naysay if you will, but I think this city needs more quixotic Pollyannas.

(Message edited by pixieDust on August 31, 2008)

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 617
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bescott...great post...I too was down there today and marveled at how many people, diverse and enthusiastic, were simply relaxing, taking in the beautiful day. I'm glad that in recent years the Jazz Fest organizers have spread out the festivities, instead of just confining everything to basically Hart Plaza. It allows people to walk more and see more of the city.

Bcscott

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know its' not all sunshine and puppies. As I looked at the skyline bckdrop of the game I realized the Broderick, Whitney, Wurlitzer, Metropolitan, and a few others were abandoned and rotting from within. I usually come to Detroit Via Woodward through Pontiac. Seeing the devistation in a place like Highland Park is almost surreal. I like exploring the Piquette/Russell area as well as Brush Park and more recently the industrial ruins on and around Meldrum St. So I get my fill of Urban decay. But yesterday was just a nice reminder of what's great about Detroit, and even if somebody comes down there for a day and never leaves sight of the People Mover at least they're there enjoying the food, people, buildings, and everything that puts the city in a positive light. I'm sure a lot of Detroiters take downtown for granted but rest assured if you're from a little town of 35,000 about a hundred twenty miles north it's a very special place.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May you have many more!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. I was totally expecting this thread to be filled with sarcasm. Thanks for sharing! It's so nice to hear people say nice things about Detroit around here for a change.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm jealous about your tour of the Guardian. Pretty neat. Hope you took some pics

Pixiedust

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone should tour the Guardian. Meet Christopher from 10AM until 12PM on any given weekday, and he'll be glad to show you around. He'll even take you down to the vaults where 25% of Detroit's wealth was once kept (which, pre-Depression, was A LOT, and all the way UP to where one of the most impressive views in Detroit may be enjoyed.
Also, did you know that you can rent out the vault for birthday parties and such? With all of that great art deco decor, you could have the best fancy dress/flapper party EVER.
Also, you can rent out the top of the building (Nike did during the Super Bowl). Think about it . . . An evening wedding reception with THAT view, and all of those city lights! That would be spectacular.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Guardian happens to my favorite building as well. When closing on my home a few years ago, i had the pleasure of touring the building. I found it amazing how close the the cities stadia seemed up there.

PIXIE...who is Christopher...I would love to tour the building with him.

Bcscott

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, I took some pics. But I'm at work again today so I'll try and post a few after I get home. Chris is the consierege(spelling?) for the Guardian. He was wearing work pants and had a ring of keys with him so I assumed he worked maintenance. He said he greets people, gives tours, answers questions, and when clients need something like a special bottle of wine he's the go to guy. He mentioned coming back during the week for the full tour. I will definitely be taking him up on this.

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who worked downtown in the 60's and 70's, and some of those years for a law firm in the Guardian Building, I am so glad to see it being kept up. Even in my younger years when we would ride the bus downtown to shop, go to the movies and eat, I loved that building. The Guardian and Fisher Building - two beautiful pieces of art.

Take one of Preservation Wayne's after work walking tours and end up at the top of the Penobscot Building.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much for this thread! I live downtown in the Lafayette Park area, but rarely get a chance to explore what is essentially my own backyard. You have inspired me to stop and look around more. Am especially interested in the view from the Guardian Building!

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 972
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The view from the top of the Guardian Building is impressive, but equally or IMO, M O R E impressive is the view INSIDE the Guardian Building. I have rarely walked inside a building and lost my breath like I have there. And talk about a great place to get a cup of Coffee? Right there at the cafe is the closest to a European cup of joe you can get around here.

The Guardian is a Detroit secret that should NOT be a secret! If only there were enough people to visit the City and that building, they could charge for tours........

Silverbeauty
Username: Silverbeauty

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your day sounds a lot like the day my friend and I had in the city a couple of weeks ago.

We walked the riverfront for an hour. Went to lunch at Au Bon Pain, we even listened to the jazz concert at Campus Martius while we ate.

Afterwards we walked to the Crepe place too! We took our crepes back to Campus Martius though.

While we were down there that day,I found out that Julian Marley was playing live on the next Friday night. So me and my hubby and two friends went back Friday night and saw Julian Marley for free. It was awesome, just as my "girls day out downtown" was.

Pixiedust

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend, Christopher, is as he has been described. He is the concierge and all-around "go to" guy of the Guardian. If you want, you can call the Guardian Building (their number is in the phone book), ask for Christopher, and tell him that you're coming. You don't have to call ahead. You can just show up, but this makes it a little easier on Chris. From what I've observed, he's a busy guy whom a lot of people in the building depend upon to get things done . . . But, he always has time for people who want to know about the Guardian. And, just for the record . . . I just have to say it. I LOVE living in downtown Detroit!

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pixiedust...where exactly is the "vault" area you are referring to in the GB? I worked in that building for 5 years..on the 29th and 30th floors. Do you mean the gated area up the steps from the main lobby? Former location of Michigan National Bank?

Pixiedust

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, the place with the big, steel, complicated looking doors where the money used to be kept . . . Way down in the "bowels" of the building. It's the place where the sneaky guys wearing masks would go with their sticks of acme dynamite back in the day. The vault. I think that's what it's called (???).
There used to be a restaurant in the one in the GB. There could be again if enough businesses would move into the spaces there . . . Alas!

Dorothyd

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pixiedust: I remember eating lunch in the very small restaurant downstairs from the main lobby back in the 70's. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Pixiedust

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are very, very welcome, Dorothyd.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 959
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a similar good day today in Detroit. I started out downtown for the 3 minute speech and then we walked to tri centennial park. From there we made our way to the river walks east end with that real nice map of Detroit in the walk I had never seen that. WE then took the walk to the Rencen and took a ride on the people mover to Washington Ave. Checked out the Book Cadillac, then showed my friends the Guardian. From there to Jazz fest and a cool down in the Compuware Building. Then over by Comerica Park and back to our parking at John King Books. We then took Jefferson all the way back home to New Baltimore (except where it is gone at Selfridge)
I even ended up in Algonac and then Richmond and even off to Ray Twp and back home again to New Baltimore. So I have covered a good chunk of area today and it was a great day to spend outside especially the time in the city. It was good to go around with some friends and get back to the city for a good time. Im sure many others enjoyed themselves in the city today.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That restaurant in the lower level of the GB was called Qwickee's....they also had a carry out area on the main main floor. I'd love to have all the money I spent at those places in the 70's and early 80's. Down on the lower level there used to be Trost's Jewelers, too.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider, your day sounds great too!

I want to mention one more thing about Christoper from the Guardian building, as he is a real Detroit gem. I used to work in the Comerica building across Woodward from the Guardian building, and went to the Guardian building one day on my lunch hour, when out of nowhere it started pouring down rain.

So I'm standing there, kind of stranded because it was pouring and of course I was caught without an umbrella. Christopher was standing there at the door, so I started to make small talk while waiting for the rain to pass. When he found out I needed to get back to work, he grabbed an umbrella and walked me back to the Comerica building. He is quite a gentleman and a classy guy. He didn't know me at all, but as we walked he introduced himself as Christopher. I think the Guardian building is lucky to have him.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I had a great day as well. We went on Saturday. We took in the RiverWalk, including an ice cream at the Rivard Plaza. We took a full loop of the People Mover and I showed my wife various points of interest, including the Book Cadillac, which is looking better and better. We walked through Greektown and had lunch. We walked over to the Jazz Fest, enjoyed walking all along that and taking a breather in Campus Martius. Walked up along Woodward over to Comerica Park, where we took in the game and fireworks afterwards.

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds really cool. My wifey and I spent our 4 year anniversary in the D a couple of weeks ago. We had breakfast at the Detroit Breakfast House, visited Charles Wright Museum, visited the Motown Museum and finally took the Diamond Jack river tour.

Dorothyd

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grumpyoldlady: When I worked in the Guardian Building I would sometimes stop in the carry out place just inside the doors to buy a pickle before heading to the elevators. Remember those pickles? In earlier years, when I was going to a school on Griswold at Clifford, I would stop at the Quickee's on the corner of Griswold and State Street every morning to buy a lemon doughnut and coffee and a tuna sandwich to eat on my way down the street to my after school job in the Griswold Building.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.