Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Giant Hand Gun Billboard - Had Enough? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the story behind the giant handgun that is on Woodward Avenue and Tuxedo Street, just North of Boston-Edison? While I'm sure the intentions were good, I think it was a bad decision.

For those who don't know; the billboard shows a HUGE black handgun, with a red circle and slash over it. Nest to the hand gun are some words and a phone number. The words say (I think); Gun violence, had Enough?

It is a giant announcement that you are now entering a ghetto, whether you are or not. Anyone not from the area, who commutes along Woodward, is not going to stop at a single business in a area that needs to do such a thing (that goes double for light rail). It probably makes many feel uneasy, and unsafe. In fact, I have experienced people telling visitors, customers, and other guests to take a different route... so they wouldn't see it (I never have done this, but I would with some people who fear the city).

Boston-Edison and other neighborhoods nearby, are having troubles moving houses. This is probably not helping. I could just see it now...

"Yeah honey, tell your sister it's the fifth street after the giant gun".

It's all just my opinions, but...

...Improving our main through fares, visually, is probably one of the most important things that needs to be done before much work can begin on improving the neighborhoods. We talked about the condition of Michigan Avenue, and how it hides how nice Corktown really looks. It hurts that area. On the other hand, The Crosswinds Community Condos on I-75 and Woodward got this. They built up on Woodward first, and then worked their way back. It made the area look better.

I really think it hurts more than it helps.

I'm all for the message, but they really need to lose the picture of the gun.

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought it looked extremely tacky and does little to stop gun violence. And with it being old and faded and painted, it doesnt seem like it's a regularly purchased ad space that someone can just replace.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3525
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a sign (not a billboard) on Conner & Shoemaker that has a picture of Jesus on both sides (it has to be 20 - 30 years old). Until recently, it also had faded proverbs on there from long ago. Now the sign just has the picture of Jesus with "God Bless Detroit".

Noot quite related, but just creepy things you find in "the ghetto".

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 612
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think any of the above are near as tacky/creepy as the billboard with the "Rest in peace Big Proof" ode to a murderer I used to see every time I drove downtown..

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 357
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find all billboards offensive. Most nice communities have outlawed them.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3526
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only billboard I really like is the S of D on Woodward (going towards downtown).

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Proof was framed.

Seriously, read up on it.

Etheridge hid from police for days, and then couldn't get his story straight, changing it several times. That is not to mention the three completely different stories that emerged from eye witnesses. Only one of those stories has him as killing in cold blood. That one story was told by people who may not have even been there.

DPD didn't care... to them it was another rapper dead. The investigation was horrible.

The man deserves much more than a bill board, in my opinion... if for no other reason than his constant dedication to this city.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2656
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, what in the fucking hell are you talking about, or trying to say? You started this thread getting all worked up about a billboard sign and then, ninety minutes later, you are canonizing a local rap celebrity whose life and death meant no more, or less, to some of us than the lives and deaths of the hundreds of other human beings murdered in this city every year.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 613
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Framed? You saying he DID NOT kill another human being with an unregistered handgun while hanging out at an illegal after-hours club?
No? Didn't think so..
I don't really give a shit who shot first..dead is dead, and your "local hero" is a killer.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice conspiracy theory Sean.

Please enlighten us as to his "constant dedication" to the city. Did he volunteer at the soup kitchens? Did he invest in a certain neighborhood? Did he donate money to the library? Did he fight corruption in city hall? What about the schools, did he do anything for them? Did he participate in any of the clean-up Detroit events? Did he help out at The Parade Company? Go to charity galas? Was he a Big Brother to a poor kid? Participate in neighborhood watch?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2659
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps, when Sean is finished caroming off of a seemingly infinite number of walls, he will get back to us.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When & if Sean comes back he will most likely:

1)chastise you all for being mean and nasty and ask you 'what did i ever do to you all ?'

2)call you all trolls.

3)tell you that he doesn't have time for your games

There's a pattern here, fellas. Sean loves to indulge his random musings here at DetroitYES, I suspect girly has had enough.

Oh, and Sean...the handgun billboard was an attempt to curb gun violence in a city where gun violence was/is a problem. The powers that be must have decided that the implication of 'ghetto' was an acceptable price to pay.

And Proof was a killer.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a opinion, and response to ZRX_Doug's post. Sorry, should have said that. That was my mistake. He was not a hero or saint, but he also did a lot of good. I do not believe that he did it, but it's irrelevant, and I apologize.

I get off topic to easy, don't I? That belonged somewhere else. I really didn't mean to stir anyone up... I didn't know you guys felt that strongly about it, in the opposite direction.

As far as the gun sign, the problem really isn't the message, but the actual image of the gun (and was just my thoughts and opinion... I stress that). How about a giant word "gun violence", or just "violence". I see the gun as making the area look bad (when it really isn't nearly that bad).

Maybe I'm off key on this one, I don't know...

I thought it would be a good discussion (I'll try not to get so sidetracked in the future. I'm still growing and learning guys... I'm not trying to cause problems).

PS: In a attempt to show I'm sincere about this effort, I created a seperate thread in the Connect Section of DYES for our dispute Raggedclaw. Let's take it there, or even in private... if you'd like.

Link: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/153893.html?122028 3461

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You sir have a forum credibility score of zero. Proof was framed...tell that to the family of the veteran that he killed in cold blood. I'm glad justice was served the way that it was. But I am angry that so many dumb Detroiters came out the woodwork to grieve for the man like he was somebody worthwhile.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.