Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Barack Obama to rally in Detroit on Labor Day » Archive through August 29, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 690
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newly anointed Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama will participate in the annual traditional Labor Day march in Detroit on Monday, according to a Web site for the Detroit Federation of Teachers union.

Obama is expected to deliver an address at Hart Plaza at 11 a.m. Monday during a rally following the parade, the Web site said.

The parade, whose theme is "Unions Mean Change for America," has a new time this year: It will begin at 9:30 a.m., according to the DFT Web site.

http://detnews.com/apps/p.../8 08280453

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barf

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 877
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obama,

Stay away from my Jazz fix.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4977
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the D Barack Obama!

Don't worry about your jazz fix, the parade and event will all take place before the stages open.

Democratic candidates traditionally kicked off their campaigns with Detroit's labor day parades. This is a return to that tradition.

Q for the historians up in here. When was the last time a candidate came to Detroit for Labor Day?

See ya there,

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bush Sr. came to Hamtramck in the early 90s for that Labor Day event. Secret Service lined the rooftops. One friend had a sign that read "Sit Down and Shut up" after a previous rally where they heckled the shit out of him, and that was all he could come up with.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 252
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Dukakis the last Dem? Gore came in 1992 as VEEP candidate, but Clinton never came in either of his two elections, Gore didn't come in 2000 and Kerry didn't show in 2004.
Been kind of a lost tradition for Dems in recent years.

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I definately plan to go,and be at hart plaza.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5320
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ralph Nader was there in 2000.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be at the Hart bright and early

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 675
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the Best to Obama...I wish him Luck; but, the Next President of the United States - John McCain - will be in Fairborn, Ohio this afternoon.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 644
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone catch Debbie Dingell's daily dose of douchbagerry from Denver on Paul W. Smith (what appeal this man has is beyond me...) where she questioned the safety of Barack because of the neighborhoods the march went through? I believe her words were "some of those areas are just not safe". I guess we'll just need to have Snake Bliskin ready to go get him out.

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 691
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldnt miss this parade and rally for all of the tea in China. This is going to be another historic event. Its time to bring the whole family. I have never been as excited to engage in politics in my entire life.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5299
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let the obligatory union pandering begin.

An early-September trip to Detroit sounds like the perfect time to lay out the urban agenda that neither campaign has been daring enough to offer up (nor any campaign for a long while). Let's hear about improving urban public schools, cutting down gang activity and adding police, and creating incentives for people to live and work in American cities.

Oh wait, nah, it's better to march with teachers unions. Style over content. Rhetoric over real ideas. Our politics suck...

But yeah, bring your friends and families to this "historic" hour of banal rhetoric. We sure as hell won't get to see a politician kiss a union's ass again, right? Enjoy your holiday, Lowell and friends.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 680
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone please tell Obama and Biden to stay home; time for them to throw in towel.

CNN & MSNBC report that John McCain has chosen Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate.

Game Over - Republicans Win....end of story.

(Message edited by chuckjav on August 29, 2008)

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes!
A (White) female for the Repub VP was a DESPERATE Hail Mary....

Oops! Dropped the ball! Shaky hands....

Obama/Biden '08!

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think McCain just really shot himself in the foot on this one. His reasoning for picking his VP was something to the effect "I'm not looking for someone who can step in at a moment notice to run the country, I'm looking for someone who shares my ideas" basically a "yes man, or woman".

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 786
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

An early-September trip to Detroit sounds like the perfect time to lay out the urban agenda that neither campaign has been daring enough to offer up (nor any campaign for a long while). Let's hear about improving urban public schools, cutting down gang activity and adding police, and creating incentives for people to live and work in American cities.

Have you read Obama's web page? He has an urban agenda very similar to what you described. You're correct in that McCain has nothing comparable, and in that no candidate from either party has had anything of the sort in a very long time.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 711
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bottom line:

Either an African American pres or female VP.

A (one) barrier will fall.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2501
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not for the right reasons.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3439
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will Kwame Bring the beer to hart plaza?

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

go Wed Wings

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5300
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinthebox: the way I see it, it's always implicitly there, somewhere under a pile of other crappy rhetoric in the Democratic Party platform, but is it made a priority or even spoken about? Certainly not outside of little-publicized events. Certainly not last night. If it is a focus on Monday, I would admire Obama for that.

But we shouldn't expect that, nor should we expect any candidate to address it. Making cities livable for all people (i.e. cleaning up the mess our we've created over the last 4-5 decades) is a major component in solving the problem of our energy-use problem. The current political/economic climate would seem like the perfect time to address it. But it's almost too obvious, and challenging middle america to think about American cities again would not get many votes. And the market for VOTES is, admittedly, all that matters.

Rogerjab
Username: Rogerjab

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame & Palin
Hey guess what McSame's new running mate and Kwame have in common? They're both under investigation for firing police officers, don't ya love it?

As mentioned earlier, Gov. Palin is embroiled in her own trooper-gate scandal up in Alaska. In short, she's accused of using her pull as governor to get her ex-brother-in-law fired as a state trooper. The brother-in-law is embroiled in an ugly divorce and custody with Palin's sister. And after his boss wouldn't fire the brother-in-law, she fired the boss. Palin originally insisted there was nothing to the story. More recently, she was forced to admit the one of her top deputies had pushed to get the guy fired.

Here's one our recent reports on the story. And we'll be bringing you an updated report shortly.

Here's the local TV news report ...

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/a rchives/211310.php

Rogerjab
Username: Rogerjab

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're scrubbing these things faster than I can put them up, see if this link works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =6UojMnCgqVA&eurl=http://talki ngpointsmemo.com/

sound familiar? That McCain sure can pick em'

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 423
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to me that McCain might've just Mondaled himself. This election is starting to look like 1984 to me. Charismatic new blood takes on respectable other guy with female running mate. The only thing missing is George Orwell. (Or is he?)

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 743
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone can look at Biden's resume and make a strong vp argument. Try doing the same with Palin. Guess oil drilling in the Wildlife Refuge is off the table.

Won't Hart Plaza be a little crowded for Obama's speech considering all the other displays already there for the Jazz Fest?

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this parade come down Woodward? I know that there have been labor day parades down there before. I tried to access the newspaper link but it didn't work.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5302
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't typecast the whole election just becaues there's a female VP candidate, HN. That's a poor comparison anyway. Reagan was an incumbent, too.

401don, I thought that she supports drilling there, while McCain does not.

Basically McCain made a splash without making a splash. He chose a very unique person from a place that we don't normally hear about, but she represents conservative beliefs fairly closely, so McCain won't disgruntle people as he would have if he chose Lieberman. She is also a proponent of government reform, in keeping with McCain's overtones.

Biden's resume includes going to a syracuse law school and quickly becoming a career senator. I don't know if that's the experience that counts towards a strong VP. And, he will secure lowly Delaware for the Dems, which allowed McCain to pluck someone from an equally insignificant state. I don't see where the high praise comes from, 401don.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 687
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obamanationalists - it is futile to resist the compelling candidacy of McCain/Palin.

Surrender Now...You Cannot Win

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^hilarious that "compelling" is the only thing that can be said.

Mackinaw is mostly on point imo.