Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Lafayette Park Neighborhood Group? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if a Lafayette Park neighborhood group exists? If yes, do you have contact information for the group?

Thank you!

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 191
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown, try this for starters:

http://www.neighborhoodlink.co m/public/main.html?nneighid=58 6995858&nsupercity=178452061

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 789
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Each of the various Lafayette Park coops would have its own Board comprised of elected residents of that coop. This would also be the case with the coops in neighboring Elmwood Park. REAL (Riverfront East Alliance) is made up of residents of the much wider east riverfront area. Lafayette Park 50 (LP50) was formed several years ago to coordinate plans for the 50th anniversary of Lafayette Park's groundbreaking and continues to operate as an group that works to improve the neighborhood. I'm sure there are other formal groups, but those come readily to my mind. Neighborhood ad hoc committees spring up as needed.

Downtown_lady, what type of information are you looking for?

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you both!

I guess I just wanted to raise a concern to someone about the noise level from Intus nightclub (in the strip mall at Lafayette and Orleans), to see if somehow a conversation could be started with Intus so that they could be reminded that they are located in what is primarily a residential neighborhood and as such they need to show some respect for their neighbors. I understand that this is downtown and nightlife is part of the package deal, but there need to be some boundaries.

Before I start sounding like I can't handle a little noise, let me explain...

This was specific to their party yesterday, which apparently was held in the parking lot and could be heard by everyone.

So they had blaring music from about 10:00 pm until past 2:30 am, which I could deal with even though it was very loud and by 1:00 I was trying to sleep. My big issue was with their DJ, who was VERY foul-mouthed, and you could hear loud and clear every single word he said, such as: "Life is too short to be a broke-a** n****" and "Who's going to get their d*ck s***** tonight?" and on and on.

I am by no means a prude, but that needs to be in the club and not on display for the entire neighborhood to hear. Lafayette Towers has lots of children and lots of elderly people, and Intus needs to understand that. I just wanted to see if there was a neighborhood group that had maybe dealt with this or was currently dealing with this.

(Message edited by Downtown Lady on September 01, 2008)

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 391
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may or may not have been Intus. Weekend before last, on Saturday night, there was a loud party with a DJ setup outside of the Soul Food restaurant. I was walking my dog and followed the music about midnight. It seemed more like a private party than something the restaurant was sponsoring as a regular event. Everyone was friendly but I could see this kind of thing getting out of hand. So maybe what you heard was another one of those parties.

Either way, there is a difference between a club that is inside and loud (perhaps arguably part of the package of urban living -- although the quiet residential neighborhood has been there for many many years before Intus showed up) and a nightclub that has outside parties at night. That has to be some kind of code violation if not a violation of their liquor license.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gianni, thank you so much for that information! By Intus being the only nightclub there, I just assumed it was them. Hopefully these parties won't occur regularly and it will just become a non-issue. If there is another party, maybe I'll go check it out to see whose party it is.

I just want all the different factions of the neighborhood to be able to continue to peacefully co-exist. Lafayette Park is really a special place and I'd hate for some nonsense to get in the way of people enjoying the neighborhood.

I think you may be on to something about code or liquor license violations. I don't know enough about codes to know, but that's an avenue to explore if this becomes a recurring problem.

Thank you again for the info.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.