Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Jazz Fest Random Thoughts « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, another great Jazz Fest has come and gone -- I hate to see it end. Once again, great music and a great vibe.

Musically, the highlight for me had to be tonight's concert by New Orleans-based Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, fronted by 22-year-old Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews. This young man is so talented and has so much charisma and energy -- his entire performance became a big street party. If any of you saw it, you know exactly what I mean. I had not heard of him before, but he is definitely one to watch!

Other random thoughts, not music related: saw Sam Riddle, Rev. Edgar Vann and Wendell Anthony downtown -- a veritable who's who. Also, stopped at Eph's for a great sandwich and found out that Barack Obama had Eph's for lunch today too (a carryout order placed by his staff), and the staff called back to say how much he enjoyed the sandwich.

Sat by the water and listened to some music drifting from the pyramid stage -- the water was so gorgeous and the crowd so content we could have been on the Riviera.

Anyone else have random Jazz Fest thoughts to share?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2521
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw John Conyers just walking up Cadillac Square after enjoying some jazz. I nodded and he said, “Hi”, and then kept walking. I resisted all urges to ask him to "control his bitch" because he seemed like a nice old fella.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8536
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They spend a decent amount on the Fireworks display, and you can actually sit right at the river and watch with no problem getting a spot.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I enjoyed the time we spent there on Saturday. The only thing I really wish that they did is have police controlling car and pedestrian traffic at the Jefferson Ave. intersection for those going back and forth to Hart Plaza. The normal light cycle made it virtually impossible to cross the entire length of Jefferson Ave. without getting stranded in the median. With the sheer volume of people, expecting that many people to stand in the median was impossible, so you had many people 'going for it' and holding up traffic. Way too many people in cars decided that pedestrians be damned, they were when the light turned green, causing way too many close calls. This could have been avoided with cops directing traffic so that pedestrians and cars got their turn.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a great time, as usual. Surprise of the weekend was the New Orleans band, Bonerama. It never fails. Each year brings a pleasant surprise, and this year was their turn. They had the crowd up and smiling!
This festival is a beautiful event, and those responsible for keeping it that way should be commended.
Great to see Barry Harris playing and his continuing sense of humor. Could go on and on...

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a fantastic time. The jazz Festival has always been my very favorite, and I came back (mostly) just for that. Chicago's got one too, but Detroit's is much better, even if I did get to see Sonny Rollins here last week. the DJF just has so much that is so, so good! And the 'vibe' is great. It's sort of...personal.

Sirrealone,

I dunno - I saw police officers at the crosswalks all weekend. Granted, they were not controlling traffic timing, but they were at least helping.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8547
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anybody catch the guy behind the pyramid on the riverwalk Saturday night pre-fireworks, dancing around, slamming imaginary dunks, and occasionally yelling "Deeeeetroit baaaasketball" to himself? He was an interesting show while waiting for the fireworks display. Hopefully he has someone somewhere who takes care of him.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL, check him into the boards and yell back DEE troit HOCK ey.

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed the Jazz fest, I saw the Marvin gaye tribute,and enjoyed the large amounts of people and the variety of foods,since i was by the river and mainly went in the evening it wasn't so hot.lol @ mayor sekou's comment of seeing john conyers and wanting to tell him to control his wife.LMAO!

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 584
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bonerama & Trombone Shorty, definitely! Something about that New Orleans brass sound that pumps everything up. I loved how Trombone Shorty handled it when the mains kept going out... can't hear the vocals? Grab the trombone and do a long solo!
I loved Bonerama's version of "When the Levee Breaks" - especially since they were headed back to NOLA to get their families out before the hurricane hit.
The Marvin Gaye tribute was awesome too - but I couldn't get anywhere near the stage, it was so crowded. Guess that's a good thing.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 444
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spent Sunday afternoon watching the Tigers actually win a game (surprise!) at CoPa, then strolled around the jazzfest for a few hours. Topped the evening off with dinner a Pizza Papalis. Finally left the D for home around 7:30pm. There definitely seemed to be more people downtown this year for the jazz fest than last year. Since it was such a beautiful evening on Monday, the girlfriend and I stopped for ice cream at Cool Breeze on Harper in St Clair Shores, then took a nice sunset drive down Jefferson to check out the water. Before we knew it, we were jockeying around traffic and pedestrians downtown in front of the Ren Cen! The jazz fest still looked very busy at 8:30pm on Monday. The drive was awesome. The Ren Cen and other high rises downtown were silhouetted against a pink orange sky. Wish I had my camera!

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diehard,

Checked out Bonerama and Trombone Shorty's websites. I see Bonerama is coming to Austin in November. I marked it on my calendar they are great. TS isn't coming but I will keep a lookout for him to show up. Thanks for the recommendations

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 447
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh other cool thing this weekend. About the 6th inning or so of Sunday's Tigers game, two F16's did a couple low level fly by's over the park and downtown during the middle of game play. Sucked to be the KC batter, but the crowd loved it. quite the applause for both fly overs.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, those were likely for the grand prix.

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hot Club of Detroit was the best act of the Jazz Fest!

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first Jazz Fest was definitely enjoyable. I'll be back next year for sure.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first Jazz Fest in a great while.. It was an extreme pleasure. the Missus doesn't like jazz that much but my lil one sure does. i was surprised to hear my wife say she liked it as well...My 2 year old was out here jammin to the beat. I found the High school jazz ensemble on Sunday to be very good at Campus Martius.

Mack Ave Records ha d great deal on CD's. Buy 1 for 15, 2 for 20 and they throw in the Mack Avenue Sampler AND a 2 disc Mack Avenue...The Legacy lives on(2 disc set. That was the best deal of the day, by far. 4 CD's for 20 bucks..WOW!!

I can not wait to see what they have in store for next years festival...seing how it will be Detroit's 30th. It should be huge

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.