Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » More tales from the hood. » Archive through September 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im not whining here folks, I chose to live here, I made my bed, Im lying in it. It just amazes me at the lack of respect for life that goes on around me where I live.

A few minutes ago I brought Mar Mar Superstar, my dog that I only have partial custody of with my Ex Gfriend, down the street to a large church lawn so I could let her run around and do her thing. Shes very good off the leash and is very friendly. I was in the middle of the large lawn when a bro walked up behind me to ask something when Marlo trotted up to introduce herself with her tail wagging. I told him not to worry she doesnt bite, shes a sweetie, all that, before I knew it the man pulled a gun on her and made protest to a dog walking up to him. I Immediately and loudly explained she doesn't bite, I got the hell outta there wondering why a guy had to walk up to me with a gun knowing full well the dog was taking a pee off leash. As I walked away I heard "Buh By White Guy" from one of his friends. I have no idea what this dude wanted to ask me but my intuition tells me he just wanted to show off his gun. Thank God she wasnt hurt. Makes me think twice about letting her run anymore. That kills me as I hate keeping a dog leashed 24-7. Running is one of a dogs greatest pleasures.

Again, Im not whining, well maybe a little. Im just passing this story on.

Ive got some good Tales from the hood, how about you?

Anyone,, anyone??

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2730
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Django. I have a feeling that this is not going to be pretty.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you really need to move. there is no longer anything in the city for you. at least nothing that that you can't visit from time to time in lieu of living day to day in one hell of a bad neighborhood.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 643
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The prognosis for you staying where you are isn't looking good, my friend! You're lucky your dog was there, otherwise you probably would've been stuck up or something like it. Thank god these 'Tales from the Hood' haven't resulted in getting you shot or killed. Seriously, I think it's time to fly the coop. Your positive attitude about the whole situation doesn't mean squat when so many people around have other ideas. You DON'T have to leave the city, but where you are now is not worth the risk. At all!

(Message edited by alley on September 12, 2008)

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the lesson I would take out of this is, don't walk your dog around there anymore try to find an area that is more secluded around the. I give you alot of props, I must say you have alot of heart and I understand your attachment to place. It shouldn't have to be like this. It is very unfortunate. As a Lifelong Detroiter who has never seen a gun used in a threatening manner I don't relate as much but all I can say is Leaving the D won't solve all your problems but maybe a change of neighborhood could do you some good. Sorry to hear that Django, that truly does suck you should be able to take your dog where you please within reason

(Message edited by urbanoutdoors on September 12, 2008)

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 389
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The final installment of Tales From the Hood will be the epitaph on your gravestone. "White Boy, didn't have the sense he was born with". What you were shown was a glimpse of the coming attractions. The last image your conscious brain may register will be the gun being drawn on your and the sharp pain of a bullet pulling through your body. Your choice.

Django

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am actually leaving. I hopeful to be out by the end of the month. I think I found a place over on the West side next to CAID. I hope it works out. Its still the hood but a little nicer, being a few blocks over from woodbridge and all. I appreciate everyone's concern. I didnt mean to make it sound so dramatic. LOL. This kind of shit happens to ppl everyday though, you just dont hear about it. Im a rarity, livin in the hood and having access to the internets and all.

Oh yeah, Im not leaving the city.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 719
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No-schitt, my friend...based upon the tale you described; after hearing "Buh By White Guy" - I would expected to see a muzzle flash & hear a loud bang.

Dude would have told the judge..."That man put his dog on me, your honor".

The End

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 757
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty sure this doesn't happen to most people every day. Not once has someone drawn a gun on me, you live in a much different world, sir.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 12283
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dj - What neighborhood were (are) you in. Just curious.

Django

Post Number: 1903

Dannyv, were you at the Woodbridge last nite for the meetup? I may be thinking of someone elses screenname.???

Ravine

Post Number: 2734
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Django, that kind of shit happens to people every day, but not to the SAME people every day.
By the way, when I wrote my post, above, I meant that I had a feeling that this THREAD was not going to be pretty.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear it Django, I know how much you love the city and that area will suit you well, you will still have the occasional problem but I doubt anything like the current happenings.

Django

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, One block South of 94 between Chene and MtElliot.

Looking forward to a change. Ive grown up almost half my life dealing with this shit. Detroit, Oakland, Seattle, SF. Its not as shocking to me as most.

Eastside_cat
Username: Eastside_cat

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django
I don't know how old you are, but if you’d like to see 40-50-60 etc...leave the Hood as you affectionately refer to it. I grew up in the Hood back in the 70's and 80's and every single one of my family members was a victim of violent crime in one way or the other, including me being carjacked with a shot fired at close range. Brother it ain't a race thing it's a scientific probability that you WILL be victimized based on the ratio of Perps-to-civilians. These Perps have no value of life as you and your harmless pet understand it. Take your memories of a once great city and move to the burbs like Kwame.

Django

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cat, I didn't mean to to make it a race based statement. Like I said, everyone down here deals with this shit on a regular basis. Im not going to say that there hasn't been intolerance toward me because Im white though. I get called racist names on a regular basis. I just chalk it up to ignorance.

Sheesh, this threads gonna be a cross. LOL.

Like I said though, IM MOVING.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5566
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Medbury St??? It's like Grosse Pointe over there lol

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 390
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not me, my friendo. There is a Danny that has been, on site, posting well before me.

I was hanging out at the Carriage House on Warren/Trumbull for an artshow there in August. The locals there seemed friendly enough. More folks of your philosophical persuasion there too; students, urban pioneers, non-materialistic self-expression.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 440
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read up until I saw the name "Marlo". He needs to fall. I'm calling him a straight punk! He's not a man for this town!

Django

Post Number: 1906
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Medburys sweet isnt it.

Ravine

Post Number: 2737
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oy...

Williamsfamilyfungi
Username: Williamsfamilyfungi

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should like it over by the CAID, I have a lot of friends in that hood. One of the nicest, affordable, areas in the city.

Django

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aarons a good friend of mine fungi. I hope it all works out and Im able to move there.
I think I was finally able to get an E to you also. chck it out.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 530
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django,

I'm glad you are moving. Seriously. I have seen some of your tales from the hood on here and they are not your everyday experiences. You're way to nice, and mar mar also, to be living over there.

Reminds me of my buddy who popped a tire on I-94 and got off at Mt. Elliot. He was rolled at gunpoint within 10 minutes of trying to fix his flat. That shit may happen: everyday all over the world, or not everyday in Detroit, or not to someone all the time.................but it sure happens too much in our city and inner-burbs.

Enjoy your new home. Did you sell your house, or just going to burn it the old fashioned way?

Ypsirocks
Username: Ypsirocks

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django,

I know I've asked you this, but where in Oakland did you live? We currently live at 55th and Market.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 298
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I feel your pain. I look out my backyard and see the prairie and the rif-raf that is Carpenter. I'm still workin' in the neighborhoods, daily, smilin' at people, even though I often go unacknowledged. And some dude is robbin' women in Hamt. with a sawed-off!! Some other fuck is tryin' to steal the bumpers off my V-dub for scrap. Chickadee doesn't like to walk the dog over here and he's a big dog. How 'bout the firebug who lit up four consecutive houses on Gallagher (my short cut to the Davison) last month? And I got this ridiculous court-case thursday for helping some people cross the street downtown...this from the same police dept. that doesn't show up half the time.

I'm tryin' so damn hard not flee like all those other kid's parents did in the 70's, but the romance is just about at its end. I can't justify paying the prop. taxes in Green Acres or Grandmont/ Rosedale. But the suburbs here don't do it for me, personally. I am becoming more emotionally detached by the week.

Django

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ypsi, I was in West Oakland. I believe its been re developed since I left to accommodate a new highway that needed to be put in due to the La Loma Earthquake. If you were in the Bay before 1992, and were riding the Bart from SF to Oakland, once you came out of the tunnel under the bay, just before stopping at the West Oak Bart Station, there was a large warehouse to the North with a huge Phoenix painted on the front of it. It was visible from the Bart. That's where I lived for a little over a year. The guy who ran it was Steve Heck, a SF piano mover, quite famous for his parties and antics. We hung a lot at the Hotel Utah. A friend of his, I think his name was Mark Pauline, head of Survival Research Labs stored a huge Tesla coil in our warehouse. Steve was famous for his Piano Bells, where he would make a sort of pyramid out of old uprights. He would strip the front so the strings were bare to "pluck" to anyone who wanted to. They wound up at Dead shows and Lollapalooza as well.

Fabulous years I spent there.

Technically though, I was living two blocks north of the Bart line about 8 blocks West of the West Oakland Bart Station.

I also had some of the same probs there as I have here. More tales from the hood West Coast Edition. LOL.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2592
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stories like this is why I secretly hate this fucking city.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 163
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtragedy, what is the cross street with Gallagher where the houses were burned? I'm not sure, but I thought from one of your previous posts it was Victoria.

I only ask because my family is from the neighborhood north of Carpenter and east of Campau. My dad/aunts/grandparents used to live on Gallagher at Lawley.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 373
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh heh, ol Django, the straw that stirs the drink. By the way, what's CAID? Westside, there's plenty of park space to take the hounds and let 'em muck about. Too much pavement where you're at, I suspect. Ehhhhh, I been told the same thing, about lacking the sense God gave to the common dog, epitaph's on tombstones, nutty white boy, etc. Whatever. But one hot, sordid summer day back in, ohhhh, around 2003, I was heading over to one of the outposts to conduct my monthly inspection, and decided to stop by Ronnie's - a party store that I really don't EVER have a smooth run at. Well, it wud HOT! So I'm standing in line with my two cans of Keystone Ice, and these little black girls are in front of me - the counter is adjoined by the ice cream freezer. Heh, this lil' girl was staring at a this bomb pop like it was a Jewelry Factory in Livonia gemstone. She uttered, completely unaware, completely in some other world where cold treats are gold, she simply uttered, to herself no less, "I gonna fuck that shit up." She meant the bomb pop. Yeah, it wud hot as a mug that particular day.