Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Manoogian Mansion photos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 580
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080917/MIS C03/80917026

I hope it is still in good condition.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live there. I like a cozy home, not a showplace.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7758
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It least there is no party going on in that beautiful house.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10361
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta love the wall to wall carpeting of the 60s!

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldnt mind it to have a place to bury all the dead hookers from my terms as mayor. It would make great fertilizer for the morning glories in the backyard. Take that TruGreen!

Beak
Username: Beak

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI...You dump dead hookers, not bury them.
sincerely,
TruGreen

(Message edited by beak on September 17, 2008)

Greebomusic
Username: Greebomusic

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow... did Carlita pick out the kitchen wallpaper? I've never seen a country kitchen in a house of that size before!

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 944
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's the brass stripper pole?

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They probably got rid of it because it had dead hooker dna on it.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14018
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't know they had a space problem, but combining the study with the master bathroom was brilliant!

Never will a mayor ever run out of things to read while sitting...

...unless that's Kwhyme's LAW library. He might take that along, even if not to practice.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wallpaper should be banned! The upper walls in the bathroom were kind of tacky, I thought. Still, it's a gorgeous house.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 439
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Never will a mayor ever run out of things to read while sitting..."

pretty sure thats just tacky wallpaper

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 317
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pictorial and historical photo's of the mansion.

I'm pretty sure that those photo's reflect the decor from 2002 was when Dennis Archer was Mayor. I remember that they had the mansion refurbished then. But Carlita & Kwame, being younger, re-decorated the mansion again with a modern theme and sleek modern furnishing.
I remember seeing the photos around the end of 2003 I think in a News magazine. I also remember that the interior designer who decorated the mansion was the same person who designed the interior of Sweet Georgia Brown restaurant. So the room looks more modern right now.

(Message edited by Westsiiiide on September 17, 2008)

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 582
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what happened to the furnishings and decorations once the Kilpatricks moved in. I would have thought there would be antiques in the house. I had a different idea as to the look of the inside of the mansion.

I really don't think the "personal taste" of the current inhabitants should be allowed. It's really not their home. I wonder if changes have been made that might have affected the historic value of the property.

The best use for the mansion, IMHO, is for the city to use it for official functions and to rent it out for other functions. Mayors of this city should live in a home and pay taxes.

The home is pretty, just too big and opulent for my tastes.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the mansion right after KK took office.
A fresco-like mural was being painted in the oculus in the ceiling of the main room illustrating Kwame with various Detroit icons in the background' such as the Guardian, the RenCen, the Ambassador Bridge and the Incinerator!!
Just terrible.
Maybe that will get painted over.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 583
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ld, I would donate my time (and paint) to cover that abomination.

I hope the press will have access to the Manoogian in order to photograph the mansion and document its condition after the Kilpatricks have moved out.

Quonset_hut
Username: Quonset_hut

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang - I guess Jerry Cavanagh gained a lot of weight from 68 to 69. I was staying in the Jean Hoxie Tennis House a few doors down and we got to swim in the Manoogian pool one day when he was there - he was quite large. I walked over to the Mansion a little later than the others - didn't know how to get to the pool - so i just went in the front door. No one was there, so I went back outside and went around the house to the pool. I told one of the aides that I was able to walk in the house and he said "That shouldn't have been allowed to happen." Anyway, Jerry was nice, asked me where we was from (East Lansing), and us kids had a good time.

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgedodger,

I saw photo's of the Kilpatrick's newly remolded Mansion and I remember is was kind of Art Deco.

While looking for photo's of the present decor of the Mansion, I came upon a Freep article from 2002 that said that the Kilpatrick's had an auction of Dennis Archer's furnishings (mind you Archer had just recently had the home redecorated) and Kilpatrick's sold the furnishing through Dumochelle.

I pasted the article on a word document.
application/msword
KILPATRICK SWEEPS OUT MANSION Old Decor.doc (27.1 k)

Originalg313
Username: Originalg313

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The caption next to the pictures implies the pictures were taken "after a renovation in 1994."
Are those real books in the bathroom?

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 584
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the information, Original.

Originalg313
Username: Originalg313

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iddude313,
Are you serious?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The newest photos in the set were from 1994. I imagine Archer or Kilpatrick or both changed things quite a bit, including getting rid of some of that now out of style wallpaper, carpeting, etc.

Bw7085
Username: Bw7085

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't picture Coleman Young living in that big house all by himself for all those years.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 986
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats going to happen to the brass poles and ceiling mirrors?

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 275
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what were the barricades in march for?

because of the original revelations of textgate?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet place. I like the bowling alley photo, nice.

I think they need a minister to bless the place to remove any bad spirits.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 382
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what Alex Manoogian would have thought of a man like Kwame living in his house?

(Message edited by Retroit on September 17, 2008)

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was I the only one that found the pic with the girl putting glue on the easter egg quite funny?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2097
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 255
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manoogian Mansion today

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.