Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Enough Already.... » Archive through September 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 750
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enough Already with the hipster-doofus, I'm cool & you're not, willy-nilly use of acronyms:

SMART
BoHo
MOCAD
DDOT
MCS

Please...tell people what you're referring to - then fire away.

(Message edited by chuckjav on September 16, 2008)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3584
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boho got me, but if you don't know what SMART or DDOT is (and have a strong connection with Detroit), then you're slow, dumb or ignorant.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 752
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or drunk

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SMART told BoHo to go to MOCAD via DDOT and then
go to the MCS to see old school transportation.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 753
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously though - we cannot assume that everyone visiting this site is from Metropolitan Detroit; we must strive to be user-friendly.

Reminds me of when MDOT takes for granted that folks know proper detours when they throw-up the orange barrels on Detroit freeways.

MDOT = Michigan Department of Transportation.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3587
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^But it's safe to assume if they're so interested in the site, they have some connection with Detroit (be it a negative or positive one).

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6402
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Discuss Detroit » DETROIT CONNECTIONS » Avoiding Some Confusion Here At DetroitYes!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Midtown = Cass Corridor
Necklace district = ya gotta be kiddin' me
drunk chicks = easy
MOCAD = blind pig masquarading as a contemporary art museum.
MCS, I had a hard time figuring out what folks were talking about at first with this one, I was thinking the MC5. This is Michigan Central, the big train station built in Corktown.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3588
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCS also means Mesoscale Convective System, so I can see the confusion there. :-)

I'll just say "The ol' train station".

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 853
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

MOCAD = blind pig masquarading as a contemporary art museum.

Aren't you thinking of the CAID?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2195
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're point is very well taken! Why make people work extra to figure out WTH they are talking about. We are all not kids of the text age.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See Bear? I don't know what the heck people speak about! I'm an old geezer of 40!

What the hell is WTH?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 759
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Enough Already with the hipster-doofus, I'm cool & you're not, willy-nilly use of acronyms"

Yep...drunk

Leticiaweb
Username: Leticiaweb

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the hell did they change the name from Cass Corridor to Midtown and why? Necklace District……..huh? Guess I’ve been away too long!

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 797
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey somebody has to keep creating TLA's.... (Three Letter Acronyms :-) Even if they are stupid.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2746
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leticia, don't worry about it. It's still The Cass Corridor. "Midtown" is a pooferanimous term made up by pseudohippazoid poseurs.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also known as the Detroit Convention and Visitors Bureau, Wayne State University, and the various institutions of the cultural district. Oops, that's a pseudohippazoid poseur term, too.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What the hell is WTH?"

I hope that was a joke.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will people stop with the whole "midtown is the cass corridor" shit. The cass corridor is part of midtown. midtown is a combination of several neighborhoods Cass corridor, Brush Park, New Center, and I think Milwaukee Junction. This has been discussed here several times. I am sorry to the newbees but those of us who have been here for a long time are sick of splainin it to you.

If you don't know what MOCAD is I suggest you go to google and type in "MOCAD detroit" hit enter and look it fucking up. It ain't the hard people.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Allan Sherman wrote the ultimate acronym song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =a1AA9N-mEV0

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GFE?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Will people stop with the whole "midtown is the cass corridor" shit. The cass corridor is part of midtown. midtown is a combination of several neighborhoods Cass corridor, Brush Park, New Center, and I think Milwaukee Junction. This has been discussed here several times. I am sorry to the newbees but those of us who have been here for a long time are sick of splainin it to you.

If you don't know what MOCAD is I suggest you go to google and type in "MOCAD detroit" hit enter and look it fucking up. It ain't the hard people.

exactly.

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Q (question):

What did OMH (old mother Hubbard), matriarch of CoS (Church of Scientology) say when she looked in the
cupboard (a metaphor [M4] for looking into ones self)?

A (answer): O.I.C.U.R.M.T.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 492
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hipsters are the new yuppies. Both hated on at different times by 'true' urban dwellers for the same reasons. Well you all need to wake up, many of those who you refer to as hipsters are the ones living, shopping, eating, drinking and working in Detroit. They're frequenting local business, opening their own and have aspirations for the city beyond just occupying space.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In response to all the "Will people stop (this or that)" posts . . .

No. They won't. Next question.

(Message edited by Saintme on September 17, 2008)

Cycledetroit
Username: Cycledetroit

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hipsters are the new yuppies. Both hated on at different times by 'true' urban dwellers for the same reasons. Well you all need to wake up, many of those who you refer to as hipsters are the ones living, shopping, eating, drinking and working in Detroit. They're frequenting local business, opening their own and have aspirations for the city beyond just occupying space."

THANK YOU. I am so sick of this hipster shit. They are no different from hippies in the 60s/70s and punks in the 80s/90s. They are simply just a sub-culture of 20 somethings. My little sister who is a freshman at wayne state might be considered a hipster because she has a tattoo and loves art, music, and politics and wanted to live downtown rather then commute from the burbs. To me, I am thrilled to see young people so passionate about downtown Detroit. She has such a positive view of the city, I fear it is the older generation who are holding the city back.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 763
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curses, foiled again!
Damnit to hell - I should have referred to all of you as Beatniks (blind followers of Kerouac).

Go...get out, take the Dixie Highway to Route-66; while you still can!

That is....if the Dixie Highway actually intersects with Route-66

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3472
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't know what SMART or DDOT stands for? GTFOH. Seriously.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2312
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i fail to see what anacronyms have to do with detroit's hipsterdom. if i start talking about the CDC, DEA, or the FBI, does that make me a hipster?

Cycledetroit
Username: Cycledetroit

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Route 66 ends in Chicago.