Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Just passed through the Smith Terminal « Previous Next »
Archive through September 17, 2008Charlottepaul30 09-17-08  7:24 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2688
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The end. Figured that I should snap a few shots while enjoying my last time through this past Sunday!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kind of feel spoiled and sad at the same time. In the 4 years I've been flying commercially I've been spoiled by only flying out of the lush McNamara Terminal. Yet I'm sort of sad that I did not get to experience that which was the Smith and Berry Terminals.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2689
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To put it positively, the Smith terminal was eclectic. It wasn't in the best shape in anticipation of the new North Terminal. For the better, in most people's minds, the new terminal will be much flashier and much more up to date.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 573
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It felt kind of sad to see those pictures. I flew there on our Mission trip to Guatemala.

On the bright side The north terminal will have a very positive effect on Detroit's Image

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 985
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the pool hall they used to have on the second level. You could shoot pool and watch planes takeoff/land through the big windows.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 825
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the place is cool - totally retro mod now - parts of it feel like I'm in Helsinki in 1977.

Yes - it's practicality has long passed - but you can't deny that parts of it have some good mid century mod appeal.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember some glass block walls like those pictured when i shipped out to the Air Force...

were those in ALL of the terminals or just SMITH?

im not even sure what terminal i went out of in november 1985. i flew TWA to st louis (STL) then to San Antonio (SAT)...

were the terminals the Smith, Berry and an Intl terminal? i dont remember much at all since i only flew a few times before the new midfield terminal was built...

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

soooo retro dude...

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 729
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After seeing gleaming new airports in other parts of the country, I always felt like I had arrived in a third world country when arriving at the Smith terminal. What gate was the farthest way from the main North West terminal? Gate C? I think the carpeting was orange a la Austin Powers until NW ripped it up.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 530
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have a photo of the old blue traffic control tower on the top of the Smith Terminal before the new one was built at Midfield? Thanks Charlotte Paul for those photos. I especially enjoyed the old analog clocks throughout and the big circular plaza at the end of one of the concourses.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 394
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing! I too enjoyed the retro/third world look of the Smith Barry terminal. It always reminded me of the movie Airplane. This past summer I flew out and in. When I was walking out I had a feeling it was the last time I'd see the terminal operational. You felt like you were back in the 60's when you were in there. All ya needed was some old 707's outside the windows. Sad to see it go. That place was my first encounter with an airport and I will always remember its feel. I will say though that the Northwest McNamara terminal is beautiful and HUGE!

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 774
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just never felt any nostalgia for the Smith Terminal. In a way, I had more nostalgia for the old northwest terminal because I remember picking my mom up from the airport when I was a kid. My dad and I would go sit in the restaurant that was a mockup of the Cheers set while we waited for my mom.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""the restaurant that was a mockup of the Cheers set ""

i remember that place! it was just inside the past the check in counters and there was a cinnabon near it and a burgerking across the corridor...

i bumped into my Wing Commander (Air Force) a couple of years after he retired and flew for American Airlines...

didnt they have international departures on the upper level?

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 292
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My ex worked there when they put the Cheers bar in. I remember there was some debate about how much the "Norm & Cliff" in the bar could look like the real Norm & Cliff. From what I remember, they ended up exchanging hair pieces or something like that.

The old terminal is so retro. Very cool and will be missed.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have pictures from inside the Berry terminal?

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 608
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I remember, the old NW terminal had more to offer in the way of food outlets than the Smith did. It also seemed a little bit more modern?

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucky you weren't accosted by security dicks for taking pictures while they exclaimed something about National Security...

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures... and sad too. I remember before Smith was built, and Willow Run handled the Detroit passenger traffic. (There's a reason my ID is OldDetroiter). The new Smith terminal was a palace compared to Willow Run. Back in those days they had outside viewing platforms where you could watch the planes. But those times are long gone.

One_shot

Post Number: 395
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a hotel at the Smith terminal or in that area years ago too? Anyone have pics if so?

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 483
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can understand that some people may have nostalgic feelings for the terminal, but I came through there with my fiancee when we first came to visit Detroit two years ago. It was the first day that they were not allowing liquids in carry-ons, and I think more people checked bags than usual, and it took us an hour to get our bags. It was awful.

I think a new terminal will provide a better image of Detroit for outsiders who may be passing through, so I am happy about that.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the post about the movie 'Airplane'. I used to think the same thing.
I remember the main hall with one luminous ceiling and the new cars that were displayed.
I remember seeing the original mustang on display during a kindergarten field trip....
All in all it proved to be one of the worst airports over it's long life - but still many memories...

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too miss Willow Run. Flying out on North Central.....

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworld, if you remember North Central, than you probably remember when the mezzanine area above the Smith ticket desks was an open lounge area where traveling businessmen in suits and hats could relax with a scotch and a cigarette.

Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 826
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detmi7mile - agree or disagree?

or mock what you don't understand...

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

???

I'm saying the airport makes you feel like you're in that time period because it is so out of date just like other people have been saying.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline, I sure do. And the Am Air Admiral's Club and Delta Crown Room were both up there as well. Sure do miss those; both closed after 9/11.

Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 827
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well - it sure seemed like your comment was pointed at me - you'll have to excuse me for responding in kind.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One_Shot: There was a hotel half-way between the Smith and Davey terminals. I think it might have been a Marriot, but not sure. There was an entrance into the hotel from the concourse between the Smith and Davey. It was demolished somewhere around the time they built the McNamara terminal. Is this the one you’re thinking of? If there was one before that I am not aware of it. Doesn’t mean there wasn’t… just I don’t know about it.

3rdworld: On the North Central flights to Janesville, Wisconsin everyone got a free can of beer.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The clock hanging from the ceiling is fantastic.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to clarify my comment about the free beer on North Central. This was in the mid-1960s and North Central didn't even fly to Detroit yet. You had to fly to Chicago first and switch to North Central at Ohare.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2456
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The arrangement of the concourses and gates at metro before the replacement of the north terminal (can't remember the name of that terminal right now) with the new McNamara was ludicrous, a passenger transferring in Detroit could come in on Northwest in the north terminal and have to schlep all the way to the southernmost gate in the Smith, a long, long walk, even more maddening if your first flight was delayed and time was tight.
I like to original look of the Smith terminal, very mid-century mod, perhaps it will survive as a movie set as has been suggested. I don't know how you can shoot a movie with a jet taking off every 45 seconds, though.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56: The old 'north' terminal was the Davey. The Smith and Davey terminals were connected by the long concourse you mention. The Davey was Northwest traffic, and the Smith was everything else except international. International traffic arrived at the stand-alone (no connected to the other two)Berry terminal. The Smith was the oldest of the three terminals.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2458
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Olddetroiter. I probably would remember that name about 9 hours after I made that post, as am loading the dishwasher.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2690
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What gate was the farthest way from the main North West terminal? Gate C? I think the carpeting was orange a la Austin Powers until NW ripped it up."
Yes. 'Twas concourse C. Originally of course, the Smith terminal was laid out with about five concourses each with about six gates at the "node" at the end. Now obviously, as the airport terminal expanded, extensions were pieced onto these nodes. Concourse C was BY FAR the longest. I think 26 gates before they tore down the addition? Keep in mind that there were also no moving walks. If one got off at the end of the concourse, it was approximately a half hour walk to back to the main part of the terminal (let alone walking down another concourse to catch another plane). The additions looked something like this:

"Lucky you weren't accosted by security dicks for taking pictures while they exclaimed something about National Security..."
Interestingly enough, no one did say anything. Not sure if that was do to the fact that they sort of assumed that I was just getting some last days of the terminal shots, or the fact that if I were a terrorist fixing to blow it up, that sure would save them a lot on the demo cost!

"Wasn't there a hotel at the Smith terminal or in that area years ago too? Anyone have pics if so?"
I was really surprised that there aren't any photos of it sitting around on the internet, but to help jog the memory, it was concrete built like the davey terminal (without the flying beams).

Some better images than mine: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=detroit+smith+terminal+&m=text

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I flew into the new terminal Thursday and I am my traveling companions were underwhelmed. Granted, there was a LOT of cosmetic work that still needed to be done, but it seemed rather shabby after O'Hare. It just seemed dated looking already, imo.

However, I appreciated all the new food options and I'm giving it a conditional "yay".

One_shot

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Olddetroit.
I too recall it maybe being a Marriot but not sure. I can vaguely picture it but wish someone had a real pic.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there still a 1/4 mile long walk to get to commuter planes on the tarmac? Man that sucked carrying my luggage to a plane going to TC.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3687
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who was asking for a picture of the Marriott?

Freshly built, circa 1968:

DTW Marriott

The Smith as I remember it as a kid - clean, simple, men and women, mostly men, dressed well, wearing hats and smoking:

Smith Terminal

(Thanks WSU Virtual Motor City)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2116
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldnt you thank them by leaving their watermark in?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3689
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There wasn't any water mark.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.