Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Neighborhoods « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Moe
Username: Moe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys,
I'm working on a project for a class I'm taking. I'm supposed to choose a neighborhood in Detroit to study. I have to learn its history, take pictures and video, and also interview the residents. I cant decide where to go. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it
thanks

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 328
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktown,
small compact area, plenty of history, active residents, etc.....

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not drive around the city and pick a neighborhood that interests YOU?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 857
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is your family from here? If you have family history in a specific area, that might be interesting to look at.

If you don't have any family connections to the city, and have an interest in race relations and the FHA and such, the 8/Wyoming area might be a good one.

Or you could look at the history of the lower east side urban renewal area (between Gratiot, Vernor, Jefferson, 375 and Elmwood Cemetery). Dig up old maps and pictures and figure out what it used to look like, and then look at Lafayette Park and why it's been so successful.

I could type suggestions all night. The problem is, though, I'm giving you what I'm interested in. I have no idea where your interest lies. You asked a rather vague question. If you had a better idea of where you were going with this prior to asking for suggestions, it would help the process immensely.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3815
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Southwest side of Detroit is interesting. It was a largely Polish enclave back in the mid century, and still has some hold overs from then, but now there are a lot of Latinos. You can find a mix of Polish and Latino churches and restaurants along Livernois, Michigan, and of course the Latino area on Bagley and Vernor.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 484
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that you should pick a neighborhood that interests you. If you are interested in an area with a lot of large homes and a proud neighborhood association, consider the Boston-Edison area.

Here is a link: http://www.historicbostonedison.org/

(Message edited by cman710 on September 18, 2008)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3593
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you should try Indian Village.

Tons of history & there's even a documentary strictly for it.

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

harpers and chalmers-ish!

Craigu
Username: Craigu

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East English Village.

This area has been able to maintain a sense of community through it's very strong homeowners association. This has made the neighborhood, which is full of English tudor style homes, into a bastion of hope for the City of Detroit. I believe it represents the ability to prevent an area from falling into a state of urban decay through the collective efforts of concerned citizens. They have addressed everything including community crime patrols, neighborhood watches, cleaning up the business district through volunteer efforts, lobbying city hall to plant trees, increase police foot patrols, private snow plowing of the streets (which may be extended to the sidewalks soon) and a variety of other volunteer efforts.

The history of the neighborhood is interesting in that you can see the size of the homes & lots grow smaller from where the community began in the 1920's through the years leading up to World War 2. The "melting pot" of people who reside there are a reflection of how working class people can come together for their collective good.

I urge everyone who isn't familiar with the area to visit. I'm confident you'll be impressed.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a few old photos of Grand River & Greenfield. That area was like a city unto itself. It had everything but city hall.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a fun project Moe. But this could be a pretty big under taking and I was wondering what is the Class? Intro to City Planning, Art in Urban America or City Policing and Community Relations?

What is your Age? College, high-school, Grad school? What school?
Are you experienced in video editing?

A film, a photo-study, a historical research paper, ... each one could lead to months of work before starting the final project. What is you time-frame?

You need to pony up some details on what EXACTLY is expected of you and at what level. You've been given a lot of good information so far, but you if you provide more details I bet you'll get some insight that will help you Ace the class.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 441
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delray.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome has the most important question followed by Cman' Bearinabox, and Retroit, who suggested he picks a hood hes interested in. What more do you need to make a decent paper or project? If it hits home your gonna do a better job, but thats kind of obvious 101.

Like Gnome asked, what are the specifics? Moe, you have a vast amount of info available to you in this forum of DYESers. If you give us more details Im sure you wont be disappointed. Ill bet you get some great leads. If your really really lucky, Gnome will photoshop an image for you.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2142
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mack and bewick

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

moetown

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 305
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, CraigU Speaks the truth, And most eloquently, I might add.

Moe
Username: Moe

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all of the suggestions, they were very helpful. The project is going to end up being a knowledge map of the neighborhood that I choose. Nice pic Gnome haha thanks

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 395
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "knowledge" map?

Obviously, I won't be on it!

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 284
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There isn't a part of Detroit that isn't steeped in history. If you choose the East area riverfront corridor, we could give you a hand. Our 501c3 organization is called The Village of Fairview Historical Society.

Indian Village would also be a fun neighborhood. Few people recall that it was once part of Hamtramck Twp, later became part of Grosse Pointe Twp and it is now in Wayne County.

What is now Indian Village was originally the Hamtramck Race track. The "Indian" names Iroquis and Seminole were actually the names of winning race horses.

Have fun with your project whichever neighborhood you choose

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 285
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 5:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There isn't a part of Detroit that isn't steeped in history. If you choose the East area riverfront corridor, we could give you a hand. Our 501c3 organization is called The Village of Fairview Historical Society.

Indian Village would also be a fun neighborhood. Few people recall that it was once part of Hamtramck Twp, later became part of Grosse Pointe Twp and it is now in Wayne County.

What is now Indian Village was originally the Hamtramck Race track. The "Indian" names Iroquis and Seminole were actually the names of winning race horses.

Have fun with your project whichever neighborhood you choose

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas,
Can you provide any further information about The Village Fairview Historical Society? I grew up in the Chalmers-Jefferson area, and never knew that this area was once part of the Village of Fairview. Fascinating! Thanks.

Kensingtony
Username: Kensingtony

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas,I never knew that about the origin of the Indian Village street names.Makes sense as I've always wondered why Sioux street ended up off of Cadieux and not in Indian Village.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 795
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always been fascinated by Detroit's (overzealous?) annexation of the former Greenfield Township.

Would love to know the prevailing attitude(s) in the township, during mid-1920s.

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jackpot: I agree Harper and Chalmers. Grew up on Corbett & Newport...lucky me

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 587
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one im still fascinated with is klenk island, near the GP border, or nearby Harbor Island, with those big waterfront homes

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.