Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » LGBT & Friends Home Tour « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ndni
Username: Ndni

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Date: Sunday September 28th from 2:00pm-6:00pm

Location: Meet at the Detroit Golf Club, 17911 Hamilton (Across from Palmer Park)

AFTERGLOW: at the Detroit Golf Club from 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM, cash bar.

Buses leave every 15 minutes to tour the homes of Green Acres, Sherwood Forest, University District, Palmer Woods and the Bagley Community.

LGBT Detroiters and their friends are opening up their beautiful, historic homes in the 7-Livernois area just for this event! The theme for the home tour is "Come for the architecture...stay for the neighbors!" Detroit has MANY beautiful neighborhoods and great people that live there. Five homes will be open for viewing and neighbors from the area will greet participants on the tour. Maps and addresses of homes for sale in each neighborhood, and information on Detroit's Neighborhood Enterprise Zone tax program, will be provided. At the conclusion of the tour, complimentary refreshments and a cash bar will be available at the historic Detroit Golf Club.

The cost of the tour is $20.00, proceeds will be donated to the Michigan Equality Education Fund. Please go to www.LGBTevent.eventbrite.com for tickets. For more information - email: NextDetroit@gmail.com

This is an event for anyone and everyone who wants to live in an exciting and diverse neighborhood!

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I give, what does LGBT stand for?

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 357
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, YPD!

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 598
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please bring more LGBTs to Detroit! We need them!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone tell me if lesbians are known for their decorating sense?

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 400
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's Go Bomb Toronto

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Please bring more LGBTs to Detroit! We need them!

Is Detroit a very welcoming place to gays and lesbians though? There is a great deal of homophobia in Detroit. Remember that gay hairdresser that was found stabbed and bludgeoned to death in an empty lot in Detroit?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/Home/Detail?contentI d=7447173&version=1&locale=EN- US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1. 1

This murder was never solved. Since there was no obvious motive like robbery, there is a good chance he was killed simply for being gay.

This on the heels of the murder last year of Andrew Anthos, a gay man who was murdered by a stranger after getting off a Detroit bus. The man asked him if he was gay, began harassing him on the bus, followed him when he got off and then cracked his skull open with a pipe.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070224/M ETRO/702240351/1003

The article also states that ANOTHER gay man was targeted before him. And there are other examples these are just a few.

I'm not trying to bash Detroit, but the simple fact of the matter is that compared to other cities in this area (Ann Arbor, Ferndale, etc), Detroit is NOT welcoming to gays. I would go so far as to say that it is dangerous to be openly gay in the city of Detroit, given the amount of homophobia and anti-gay hate that festers in the city.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 779
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, please....
Detroit is the Baton Rouge, the Key West, and the San Francisco of the Midwest.
Detroit has always welcomed gay-folk with open arms.

Not that I am gay...or that anything is wrong with being gay.

I'm just saying.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is Danny to inform of this occasion?

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this LGBT tour is a FABULOUS idea!

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wasn't the anthos case declared not to, indeed, be a murder?

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it necessary to even bring up the LGBT connection? Just the idea of the home tour should be appealing to everyone who likes to see beautiful old homes.

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe that's a selling point. there's definitely a stereotype about gays rescuing historic homes that fell into disrepair.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 957
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Partial article from freep:

Anthos' death blamed on hate is not that at all

Gay Detroiter had arthritis, examiner says

March 29, 2007

BY JIM SCHAEFER and JOE SWICKARD

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

As the story went, Andrew Anthos was beaten to death in February for simply being gay.

But it was arthritis -- not hatred -- that ultimately led to the death of the 72-year-old Detroiter, the Wayne County medical examiner told the Free Press on Wednesday.

The Detroit Police Department said it has accepted that Anthos died of natural causes and closed its investigation, saying no witnesses have been found to confirm a beating.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How was the tour? I did a self guided tour a couple of weeks ago to the same areas mentioned. I wanted to go on this one but was unable to. Let's hear some feedback about the houses. I'd hoped to see John Corvino's place because I enjoy his columns in BTL so much.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My partner and I are helping out on the tour...it's going to be great.

Lots of great houses and great people.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this planned to be an annual event? I'd love to attend. I've already been in many of the homes in Palmer Woods, including the Turkel House, on past walks back to the 70's.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kiel, you need to look at the original post and click on the links. You might find some answers to your questions.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2830
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Transgender people are totally pushing the gays out of their neighborhoods through transgentrification.

They start buying into the older, run down gay areas and totally fix them up. Drives the prices through the roof.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 996
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^
if that was supposed to be funny, your humor was lost on me.

The LGBT community in Detroit and Detroit area is spread out and disorganized. THIS type of event is exactly what is needed to bring some sort of organization, again. One of my favorite ideas is and continues to be, the City putting up rainbow flags up in a relatively depressed area, put in some security and sit back and watch the gays go to work!

Girlygirl
Username: Girlygirl

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the idea worked in NYC, why not Detroit??

Quinn

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it's going to be an annual event...all that depends on turnout so make sure you go!

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going :-)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8746
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are things always LGBT? What if a L or G doesn't like B's or T's? I know a G who thinks B's are just kidding themselves. Are all T's G's, L's or B's? What if a T is actually anti LGB, but just likes being a T?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 876
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you saying there should be four separate home tours? :-)

Quinn

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a scene from the movie "Jeffrey" (I think) where olympia dukakis says to a news interviewer (while at a gay pride march in NYC), "I'm proud of my pre-operative, transgendered lesbian son."

I love that.

f

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, all of you in MI are behind the times with your "LGBT" stuff. Very 90s. {tongue firmly in cheek}

The acronym grows every few years. The latest ones are: LGBTQ, or if you're really in the know LGBTQTS.

I could torture you with a guessing game, but instead I'll be benevolent:

L=Lesbian
G=Gay
B=Bi
T=Transgendered
Q=Questioning
TS=Twin-Spirited

"Questioning" people identify as either str8 or gay, but have at least some degree of curiosity (i.e. open to the idea) of a relationship outside of their orientation. This differs from someone who identifies as bisexual, as they have pretty much equal attraction to men and women. It applies almost exclusively to teens and tweens who haven't fully developed their orientation yet.

"Twin Spirited" is the Native American term for sexual orientation outside of heterosexuality. Many tribes believe there are people blessed with both a "male" & "female" spirit within them. Native American terminology and concepts of sexual orientation are much more fluid and less dogmatic than ours.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer "queer" as the all-inclusive. So much easier to pronounce.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 601
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always wondered about any crime where someone was supposedly targeted "for being gay." In the Anthos case, something terrible did apparently happen, but how could you ever prove he was attacked solely because of his orientation? How does anyone know there wasn't some other motive, even a trivial one?
Not at all trying to defend gay-bashers, they can rot in hell. Just wondering.

Quinn

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great story by Josar in the News:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008809270364

d

Saturday, September 27, 2008
Tour touts Detroit homes for gays
David Josar / The Detroit News
DETROIT -- This city, well known for its grit and love of cars, is making a push to become a mecca for gay living.

On Sunday, the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Transgender) & Friends Detroit Home Tour will kick off an effort by the city to showcase five neighborhoods, all just south of Eight Mile, that will be touted as an alternative to living in Ferndale, Royal Oak or other areas considered gay-friendly.

"This is the up-and-coming place," said Dale Morgan, chairman of the event, who is moving with partner Norm Silk from a Palmer Woods mansion to a West Seven Mile home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. "As a gay person going into the suburbs, I am very guarded. I have a business in Birmingham but I don't appreciate having people shout obscenities at me ... I don't have that in Detroit."

The inaugural tour is a collaborative effort between the city and neighborhood groups. Officials hope the city's tolerance, housing stock and artistic community will be selling points -- and negatives such as the city's struggling school system will be less of a deterrent than for traditional families.

"We can offer you a quality of life that is very different than in suburban communities," said Kim Tandy, a Detroit homeowner and program manager for University Commons. "There are interesting people. There are interesting homes."

Still, even to those who embrace the idea, like Ferndale Mayor Craig Covey, wonder if the city missed its window of opportunity. Many left the city for southern Oakland County in the 1980s because of crime.

"It's a great idea, but maybe it's too late," said Covey, who added Detroit is the only major U.S. city he knows without a "gay section" of any sort.

The tour will start at the Detroit Golf Club near Palmer Woods, and minibuses will take people to tour five homes in five neighborhoods. Then in each area, agents will host open houses for properties that are currently on the market. A cocktail hour with open bar at the golf club will follow. More than 300 are expected.

"The idea is like a fraternity, sorority rush, where you go through a rush a neighborhood and get to meet your neighbors," said Brad Dick, Detroit's deputy director of general services and one of the organizers. "A lot of gay folk may not have necessarily close family ties or families of their own, so the idea it to create a family atmosphere."

It's unclear whether more gays and lesbians are returning to Detroit since no group tracks such populations.

But "Between The Lines," a free-distribution weekly newspaper for the gay community, has seen an uptick in Detroit circulation as well as more advertising from Detroit-based businesses, said co-publisher Jan Stevenson.

At Menjo's, a gay dance club near Palmer Woods, the economy has hurt business, but the number of new patrons is increasing, said Jared Doyle, a bartender.

"I don't know why, but there's a change going on," Doyle said.

The move comes months after the City Council amended its human rights ordinance to protect "gender identity or expression," and downtown Detroit hosted 2,000 people for a national conference by the National Task Force on Gay Lesbian Bisexual and Transgender Equality.

Still, some say Detroit's crime remains an obstacle to attracting residents of all orientations. A report by the Detroit-based Triangle Foundation, a nonprofit that combats violence and discrimination against the gay community, found that anti-gay hate crimes in Michigan jumped from 97 in 2006 to 226 in 2007, a 133 percent increase.

Although the number wasn't broken down by city -- they will be for the 2008 tallies -- Melissa Pope, the director of victim services for the group, said "it's hard to tell" if Detroit is becoming more tolerant of people who lead alternative lifestyles.

"I think it's still a pretty mixed bag," she said.

Pope pointed to several violent crimes in the past 21 months that could be hate crimes.

In one case, 72-year-old gay activist Andrew Anthos died in February 2007 after he was allegedly assaulted after leaving a city bus. In February, a transgender woman who worked as a prostitute was killed. In June, Detroit Police found the body of a well-known gay hairdresser dumped in the east side after being brutally beaten. His car was also stolen.

"Why is violence up? When the economy is bad, crime increases," said Pope of the Triangle Foundation.

Covey, Ferndale's mayor, said Detroit has a strong gay population in the '70s and '80s, said "gay folks like older Victorian homes, they'll put up with some crime."

But a number of violent beatings and homicides in Palmer Park, which had been a gay enclave in the Detroit more than two decades ago, drove people out.

Many other cities, Morgan said, have had success in marketing themselves as gay-friendly communities. "Leadership can make a difference," he said.

For example, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley spent $3.9 million on public art, such as elaborate rainbows and other improvements, in 1999 to spur transformation of one neighborhood into what is now known as "Boystown," considered the nation's first gay neighborhood.

Given the national economy and record number of foreclosures, organizers aren't expecting a flood of home purchases after the sale but want to simply plant the seed of an idea.

"I don't expect us to sell 50 homes, but a couple would be great," said Dick. "But if there's a cocktail party and Joe and Bob say 'Hey, do you remember that nice neighborhood with all the nice people? ... let's think about moving there.' That's what we want to see happen."

You can reach David Josar at (313) 222-2073 or djosar@detnews.com.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didnt know homes had sexual orientation........ good to know

Slider
Username: Slider

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was a great tour of these 'hoods! My partner and I had been considering Ferndale, Pleasant Ridge, Royal Oak, etc. but after this tour, we're certainly redfining the focus now south of 8 Mile. I truly hope this does become an annual event because at least one household is now seriously considering the city (my partner was dead set against moving in the city before yesterday)

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice event. I really enjoyed it and met some really great people.

Quinn

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a successful event. Norm and Dale's house was fantastic! The turnout was truly amazing too. I'd say a few hundred people.

I spoke to a few people who had always known there were "Gems," as they called it in Detroit, but didn't understand the whole communities of fab housing and great people. Can't wait to help out with this event next year again!

Slider
Username: Slider

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I think if anything the biggest thing I got out of it was just how great the people who live there are. I had always liked the area, but never got a chance to interact. The great neighbors were what did it for us to start to take a move to Detroit very seriously.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.