Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Current waterfront estate developments « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have current info on Morgans Waterfront Estates on St Jean and Lycaste or Morgans Lenox estates at Grayhaven?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3594
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Many of those we're put on hold (or cancelled) due to the economy.

Bw7085
Username: Bw7085

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://morganwaterfrontestates .net/

Colgatesmile
Username: Colgatesmile

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had the money....

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 574
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw one of these properties for sale for 89,000 dollars on Remax.com

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5377
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously? Wow.

So is this the new subdivision in the shadow of the powerplant, or the ones across the canal from the Fisher mansion, part of Morgans Lenox?

Seen from river

(Message edited by mackinaw on September 19, 2008)

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 491
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whatever happened to the Jerome Bettis project? get put on financial hold like the Bing deal?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6249
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean the one at the Uniroyal site? They are still trying to find the money to clean it up. That's a long process considering the sheer amount of contamination, on site.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

god those are ugly

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5378
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Uniroyal/Bettis site is huge, and has the added twist of being on the most significant waterway in the region. It is tricky.

Is the site contaminated with PCBs? If so, that's about as bad as it can get. I don't see how the land like that will ever be used again without government/third party assistance to the developer. It's a cost of a century or so of environmental abuse to build up our economy.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2250
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dig up the dirt and send it to Canada. Let then deal with it.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7292
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone here mentioned that there was a plant that built stoves there before Uniroyal. So there's something like a century of contamination that has to be dealt with.

I'm sure there's a lot of other stuff as bad as PCB's in that site.

One of the reasons for the long time delay on this site is that the State of Michigan is still negotiating with old business owners, including the owners of Uniroyal, DTE Energy, and others.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 531
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, is that photo set from the Diamond Queen?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 860
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dig up the dirt and send it to Canada. Let then deal with it.

Huh?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5383
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct, Buster.

While Lefty2's suggestion might present some international relations issues, they're on the right track. Can't we send this stuff (or unwanted waste in general) on a rocket into space? Out of our orbit, toward a black hole? Let's put our space program to useful work.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 861
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what's wrong with America. Instead of dealing with our own fucking messes, we want to hide them where we won't have to look at them. House need a new roof and a coat of paint? Sell it and have Toll Brothers build you a new one. Got poor people in your neighborhood? Move to the suburbs. Got crazy people? Ship 'em to the Cass Corridor. Got highly toxic industrial waste? Send it to Canada, outer space, or Anywhere But Here.
That sort of thinking bothers me.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3606
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox tells it like it is. :-)

However, I'm pretty sure it was a joke.

Another problem with Americans is they don't have a sense of humor these days (how can you ban Looney Tunes!?).

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2272
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

um, I was being tongue in cheek about the send it to Canada thing.
They send their trash here, so , well you know.
But they need to take care if the dirt and crap under it. Maybe Canada... or .. maybe Monroe.

Damn I was almost thinking about moving to Cass, forget that plan.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3607
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Too bad, I hear Arkansas is quite nice this time of year. :-)

Bearinabox

Post Number: 862
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Damn I was almost thinking about moving to Cass, forget that plan.

See, THAT was funny. I think the first one was just a bit too out of the blue. Had Canadian trash importation been part of the discussion prior to your post, it probably would have elicited a chuckle rather than a "Huh?" I still stand by my off-topic rant about instant gratification, though.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 254
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope this helps, taken today

Respectfully

Fly By Don

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6262
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many thanks, Don.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.