Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Cockrel induction speech sounds good. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2245
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He admitted that he is a geek, sci-fi movies, computers etc.
He said the police will find the scrappers tearing apart bldgs. and thugs terrorizing older people in the city.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3823
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope he doesn't disappoint. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and good ideas to improve things. And his dad was certainly a legend around here.
Best of luck to him.

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Mayor Cockrel is just exactly what our beautiful city needs. We need to stand with this man. For some reason, I feel as though I can trust his word. A mans/woman’s word is the most important thing you have—as far as your character goes. I am behind you Mayor Cockrel. Clean up Detroit—she’s worth it!
God bless you sir.
Johnnie Sue Bridges

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's a geek so +1 in my book. However, if all of a sudden you see a color code for city official badges that mirrors the Star Trek command structure, don't be surprised... LOL!

He's saying all the right things - and has a different attitude. Even Benny Napoleon, his probable mayoral rival, praised his selection for police chief.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2318
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just the fact that he mentioned scrappers in his speech inspires me with so much confidence in the man. the wholesale dismantling of built infastructure in this city has gone unfettered far too long.

seems like he's making great choices in his staff and his priorities, i can't wait to see the results

(Message edited by gravitymachine on September 19, 2008)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is something seriously wrong with this guy...

He seems to know what he's doing...

I dunno how I feel about competent leadership in the city...

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't able to listen to the whole speech, and I'd like to have. Does anyone know where I can find a transcript of it?

Giver108
Username: Giver108

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ You can go to www.myfoxdetroit.com where you can watch his entire speech.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He'll have to deliver some results soon because the elections come fast and furious next year.
Some drug arrests, scrappers nabbed and a Cobo deal could get him the job full time.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's his job to lose, quite frankly. He's got the golden opportunity to succeed in an un-politician kind of way that so many on this forum clamor for.

If he does deliver - as it looks like he's setting himself up to do - what would be the cogent argument for a Bing or a Hendrix, et all?

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 369
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel he will do just fine.

This is one time that voting by name recognition worked in our favor. It doesn't happen often but I feel we are the better for it.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DV, I am definitely a Bing supporter, but if Cockrel delivers, I could not justify in my own mind giving my vote to Bing or anyone else. Why vote Cockrel out when he's getting the job done?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 587
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have all the faith in the world in Cockrel. At one time I might have jumped at the idea to vote for Bing (as I think he's a decent guy, too). But, I know Cockrel will do a great job.

My issue with Dave Bing is this: Yes, he is a decent guy (this city is in dire need of decent people in government). However, we have a good start with Cockrel. Cockrel's been in government for years. Why does Bing think he would do better than Cockrel? He doesn't have experience in government. Private business and government are two very different animals.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 542
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a little torn between who I'd vote for in the special election, but thankful at the same time. With Cockrel, I'd like to give him the meager year and a quarter to see what he can do. On the other hand, the city really needs a business-minded leader. Is that Cockrel, is that Bing?

Reason I'm thankful is the two front-runners at this point are both reputable guys who are hard working and focused on restoring Detroit to greatness. It's a much better choice than Gil Hill or Kwame Kilpatrick. Hopefully Cockrel can hit one out of the ballpark, since he is the one that is up to bat at the moment.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 776
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cockrel & Green - Detroit's TRUE Renaissance Machine!

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 683
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, I am just so excited about this new beginning. Second, I am thrilled he mentioned the Green Task Force.

I don't know if anyone else attended his reception tonight, but again, it was a fine event that seem to reflect his down to earth, approachable style. And heck how could it be bad when you get to chat with the Mayor about biking and roller derby?

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High profile drug and scrapper arrests, no indictments, Cobo Hall deal, or a large corporate relocation to the city might help Cockrel. I wouldn't bet on him, though. He's too low key and doesn't play the race card.
Hope I'm wrong.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Detroit needs a flashy race baiting mayor? OK.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. I wasn't clear. They DO NOT need a flashy race baiting mayor. I believe Cockrel would be good. But, after seeing the demonstrations in support of the previous mayor, and the applause when he made his idiotic "lynch mob" statement, and in light of Aayanna Kilpatrick's observation that Detroit is a "city full of idiots", which went unquestioned, I have doubts about the wisdom of the electorate.
Again, I hope I am wrong.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 822
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm reserving judgment. It's not as if he's an unknown quantity, and there are reasons why some Detroiters are lukewarm.

Let's talk again in 6 months.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6254
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cockrel has a huge advantage in terms of politics of the special election. All he has to do is to not mess up or bomb, and if he does that the only argument he has to make is "why disrupt city government any further?" Every time he makes an excellent pick for department heads like he done over the past few days, he makes the arguments of his opponents just that much harder. He's quite possibly in the best position any politician in Detroit could be in, right now. That Kilpatrick bombed so well at the end of his administration was a god-send for Cockrel, politically.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2789
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He didn't tell the thugs and scrappers to head for 8 Mile, so I'm counting that in his favor.

6 mos will tell much, like you say.
I wish him well.
Style talks
Substance walks.
Or however that goes, you know what I mean.

(Message edited by larryinflorida on September 20, 2008)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 770
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He should support Operation Bring Back SMART to Livonia and southeast Michigan because he said he wants to improve mass transit.

So, tell him about the website in DETROIT LINKS to get him to debate me on television.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can see where the country has gone with having "business" folks minding the store these last eight years.
I think Kenny has an audition and we'll see how he does. If things are stalemated, he'll go down or help the folks (on council) who stand in the way.
Bing seems to have a good heart and has been a successful business man. How that translates to being a successful head of a disfunctional city government is a big unknown.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 684
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have doubts about the wisdom of the electorate.

Ah, the reason he's now mayor is because he was the top vote-getter on city council.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.