Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Electricity rates going up « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Foosie
Username: Foosie

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the worst governor in Michigan's history continues to add to her pathetic legacy

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080919/M ETRO/809190377/1409/METRO

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6247
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how some of you hate her so much. The hate is so intense, so blinding, so hot, so...irrational, that it's nothing short of humorous, to me.

How's Mike Bishop working out for you? lol The Michigan GOP held the governors office for years, held the House for years, and still hold the Supreme Court and Senate, and now hold the attorney general's office and the secretary of state's office. Again, how's that working out for you? The fact that the Michigan GOP still controls much of state government is an inconvenient truth, no?

(Message edited by lmichigan on September 19, 2008)

Foosie

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the hell does the AG, the Sec. of State or past governors have to do with HER energy bill?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6250
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your weighted entrance to the article had nothing to do with her energy plan, and you have the nerve to accuse me of getting off topic? If you think you're going to go around irresponsibly dropping hyperbolic language bombs and not get called on it, you've got another thing coming.

If you actually wanted to talk about the merits of the energy plan, you'd have actually done that instead of poisoning the well from the get-go.

(Message edited by lmichigan on September 19, 2008)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 986
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Lmichigan. I own stock in DTE. Rate increases mean more revenue for the company,im single-live alone and dont use that much electricity, so the rate increase doesnt' affect ME in an adverse manner.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

people complain about the price of gas and electric bills but spend $120,000.00 for this.

with more of them to come.

Foosie

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you actually wanted to talk about the merits of the energy plan

What merits?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6252
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyways...

On the energy plan, I find the goal a noble and worthwhile one, but it's fraught with quite a few errs. On one hand, I think we were one of the last states in the region to have modernized out energy policy; the last one to have a comprehensive plan that also required renewable sources of energy. So, it was going to happen, anyway, and probably should have happened sooner. It saves us headaches in the long run, because the fact is that we either pay for this now, or we pay for it later when it will be much more expensive.

The errs include it essentially carving into stone a Consumers-DTE monopoly. They got way, way too much input and way too many favors out of this, but I'm not sure enough to render the entire effort a failure or inherently fatally flawed.

Foosie

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

keep drinking that kool-aid. lol

Foosie

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but it's fraught with quite a few errs.

It's ERRORS!

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 758
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you talking about the bill passed by the Republican Senate and with Republican support in the House? I think there's a lot wrong with the legislation but it only was passed due to Republican support.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6255
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foosie, what do you think of the energy plan? Please do give more detail.

(Message edited by lmichigan on September 20, 2008)

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 254
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Passage of this bill will lead to billions of dollars worth of power plant construction in Michigan, among numerous other benefits. Without it, DTE and Consumers were unwilling to make the commitment to building new plants. The law provides some stability to the power market, which has been a bit of a mess since it was deregulated by Gov. Engler and his Republican brethren and sistren. (Gee, what else has turned into a mess lately since deregulation?)
Our deregulated system allowed any electric company to come in an cherry pick the best corporate customers, i.e. those with easy access and who are big users of electricity, while ignoring hard-to-reach rural customers or customers who are barely able to pay. Meanwhile, DTE and Consumers by law have to service those customers.
There are pros and cons to this legislation, but all in all it was adopted in a bipartisan manner.
The Republicans know they went too far with utility deregulation, and this reins things back in a bit.
This is very good legislation. Foosie if you're looking for another reason to get on Jenny's case, and you obviously are, you're barking up the wrong tree on this one.
Check out:
http://www.michiganjobsandener gy.org/faq.aspx

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3598
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the state thinks raising billing prices on electricity will foot the bill in a transition to renenwable energy, thuis creating a greener economic environment...

HA! The only problem I see in this legislation is it will make it harder for working-class (or simply poor) citizens to pay their bills each month. This doesn't really have benefits for the short-term outlooks

(Message edited by DetroitRise on September 20, 2008)

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10366
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...adn those new energy plants will be coal based adding to the woes of our air polutin in this region. Since we have some of the highest cancer rates already I am sure this will jsut add to the "fun".

How about putting anti-sprawl legislation in place to curb what we know is the giant energy monster..unrealistic sprawl.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3600
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Actually, DTE wants to be a nuclear power plant, which is much worse than coal (IMO).

Detroiters better pray there's never a nuclear meltdown. :-(

In fact, I can't understand why we're building massive infrastructure for a shrinking population.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on September 20, 2008)

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This would be a good time for those bitching to start making changes in their lifestyle. Buy some new lightbulbs, unplug your vampire electronics and educate yourself on how to lower your other energy costs.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

already done the light bulb trick. My gf loves to leave lights on so I had to.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2193
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foosie: "the worst governor in Michigan's history continues to add to her pathetic legacy"

No Foosie, as far as I know lard-ass Johnny was a male. He is long out of office, down south living on his State of Michigan pension because, in his words, "Virginia is a great place to raise kids!".

To refresh your memory, he was the one who spent down the State's Rainy Day fund over his last years in office, refusing to address HIS budget imbalances, just waiting to pass the mess on to his successor. He did, and his successor was adult enough to deal with them.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6260
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise,

Folks really have to get over their irrational fear of nuclear power. No, nuclear is better than our other transitional option (i.e. continually building coal-fired plants). There is no such thing as "clean" coal. France gets 87% of its power from nuclear and it shows.

And, as for this "In fact, I can't understand why we're building massive infrastructure for a shrinking population." You've made another false assumption. Michigan is still estimated to have increased its population since 2000, but even if it hadn't, people are using more energy than ever before, and the demand keeps increasing much faster than the population increase.

(Message edited by lmichigan on September 20, 2008)

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 494
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the problem:

'CHARACTER OF SERVICE:
A. Sales to Customers:
1. As specified under the applicable rate.
B. Sales by the Customer to the Company:
1. As specified under contractual agreement.
C. The customer shall install, at his expense, the necessary controlling, additional metering and protective
equipment according to specifications of the Company. The Company shall not be liable for damage to
customer-owned equipment caused by the interconnection.
D. Billing for both sales to and sales from the customer will be calculated by the Company.'

source: http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/mp sc/electric/ratebooks/dte/dte1 0curd1throughend.pdf

From talking to people that are in the renewable energy business, it boils down to Utility co's in Michigan charge an average $.80 /Kwh, but pay only $.02 / Kwh when buying it back. The above rate structure gives them all of the power.

I have no problem with DTE being in control of our Electricity, i just simply want them to be smart about the future of our energy needs and not just focused on short term profits.

The legislation in question on this thread is effectively useless, but it does one small thing that is good, it gets developers interested in renewable on a smaller scale where we can start to push the issue of cogeneration and setting reasonable rates. In the meantime though, energy produced locally to suit the needs of the development it serves becomes marketable and maintains its ability to retain its value. Unlike the sprawling suburbs we have witnessed meltdown in respect to their resale value.

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

^Actually, DTE wants to be a nuclear power plant, which is much worse than coal (IMO).

Detroitrise, ever spent any time at a coal plant??
Ever spent any time a Nuclear Plant?

If the people of Michigan want lower electric rates the answer is simple.
Stop using so much power.
1.Turn off your computer.
2.Through away your 50inch LCD TV's.
3.Dump your massive AC unit to cool your oversize house.
4.Forget about buying that plug in Hybrid car.
5.Go back to lighting your house with the candles.

Like it or not the electric infrastructure of Michigan is old. To keep up with the demand of its customer the power company are going to build, replace, or update all of the power station and pipeline systems in their fleets.

Do really think it's going to be free?????

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6261
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, don't go back to lighting your house with candles. That's counterproductive given the risk.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 761
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry but what is the benefit to us ratepayers in this $10 billion nuke plant proposal?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2282
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the worst governor in Michigan's history continues to add to her pathetic legacy

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080919/M ETRO/809190377/1409/METRO

concur, Michigan is still one of the worst places to do business.
Even with actors promoting tax breaks for companies with enough time, money, patience to open a business and get the tax breaks, Michigan is still one of the most onerous states to conduct business.

Bthom73
Username: Bthom73

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to go off-topic, but given the wealth of knowledge here I figured I'd ask if anyone here knows any info regarding the marketing background behind Pine Knob theater being renamed? I have to assume that it cost DTE a significant amount of money and they don't really need to advertise given that they're a monopoly, so why bother?

Dealing with DTE for my utilities has definitely been the worst consumer business experience of my independent life (not exaggerating). I've never heard so many customer service promises that simply didn't come through, excuses and apologies for previous failures, and all together so little action.

Seeing the DTE name on the theater simply makes we want to boycott the theater. Even if it was an actual investment intending to be of positive monetary value, they could have done so without changing the name. If they just bought the name, that's even a bigger waste that only translates to higher utility bills.

I'd love to hear it if anyone really knows the story.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14071
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Advertising is not just to sell products.

It is image creation and maintenance as well, and if they can get you to associate those three letters with partying at Pine Knob...then when you pay your ever-increasing bill to the monopoly, you just might not be as pissed.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7769
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!

We can celebrate now. I will receive my $200.00 electric bill and so will other people with their higher bills.

Word from the Street Prophet

The energy crisis continues...

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand that commercial (business) rates will decrease. The business sector said that their high rates were propping residential customers. Now residential customers will pay their own way and business rates will go down.

How is this anti-business?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.