Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Police Now Ticketing Speeders?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7293
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I know that we have a new mayor and police chief... but today for the first time I saw something I haven't seen in a long time... 2 Detroit Police vehicles (one on the east side, one on the west side) pulling folks over, for what I assume is speeding on I-94.

Has anyone else noticed Detroit Police ticketing on Detroit Freeways?

In the past I only ever saw State Police Troopers pulling folks over in Detroit.

Is this a new city policy, or what?

English
Username: English

Post Number: 820
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is absolutely shocking. I never received a single speeding ticket until I moved to Ann Arbor for grad school!

My cousin is a retired DPD officer. She always told us, "Detroit police have better things to do. As long as you're not going through lights, long as you're not going faster than me? We're GOOD!"

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3597
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, even the suburban police don't ticket you for speeding as much as they should.

So I hope what you're saying is true & not just "a good cop over-doing his/her job" situation. That means law & order is finally returning to the D. :-)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2257
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

between 8 mile and woodward on 94, in three years I saw 3 people pulled over for whatever.

a new regime is in place to take of business.
good to see, i just hope they don't stop me.

(Message edited by lefty2 on September 19, 2008)

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a week ago i saw a detroit police traffic enforcement car(all white crown vic w/no lights on top)backed up on the grass facing traffic pointing radar on eastbound 94 next to chandler park. first time i ever saw dpd monitoring freeway traffic.

Gistok

Post Number: 7294
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well, even the suburban police don't ticket you for speeding as much as they should.

Lead foot that I am, I wish that were true... :-(

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5219
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an easy way to supplement the department's low coffers. They also find a lot of wanted people and other infractions during traffic stops.

Gistok

Post Number: 7295
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Lilpup.

I've seen a lot of folks doing 70 MPH in the left lane of I-94 for years. But as of late, there's been a lot of folks going 75 MPH. So a crackdown is overdue.

I always notice that once folks get east of Moross (Harper Woods), that they slow down slightly. And that bend into Macomb County going into SCS is a prime I-94 blind spot speed trap.

Jennifer
Username: Jennifer

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive 94 from Moross to Woodward regularly (for the past 6 years, actually) and I can't remember that last time I saw a Detroit cop having pulled someone over

I am one of those guilty of going 65-70...I usually feel like I am going to get run down if I go any slower!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14023
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Revenue, simple as that.

I HOPE so, at least.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2613
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess none of you drove up and down Jefferson on any weekend night during the summer. Cops pulling people over left, right, and center. People do get pulled over in the city its a popular myth to assume they don't.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word to the wise : if you do get a ticket in the city , GO TO COURT . Detroit cops usually have better things to do then show up .

Lilpup

Post Number: 5220
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd expect a lot of the lame behavior of these lame few years to go by the wayside. I wouldn't bet on them not showing up.

And the original post was about DPD down on the freeways, not on surface streets. In the recent past the freeway enforcement in the city has been left to the State Police, but now the state is tapped for cash, too.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Softailrider,

The thing about that is, most Metro Detroiters do too. Especially, suburbanites and people outside the Grand Boulevard "Loop", in particular. Drive, through crazy traffic, pay four dollars for gas, navigate roads they might not know that well, find parking during the day, and then there is the fear some have, or the lack of transportation. Then, there is also no guarantee that the officer won't show up.

It's sometimes only worth it to fight it if you have transportation, and live near the CBD. Plus, don't you have to pay more if the case does go to court, and you lose? Maybe that's only parking tickets.

They have also have been doing little "seat belt stings" lately.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3668
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They have also have been doing little "seat belt stings" lately."

Easy fix. Just click on your seat belt and you'll never get stung.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate wearing a seat belt, that's one of the many reasons I've never moved out of the city... seriously. Where are these stings going down?

Should I think about taking the wet bar out of my glove box now that Kwame's gone?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6429
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought a clever design for a T-shirt would be to silkscreen an image of a seat belt across the front. It wouldn't help in cases where they pull you over for some other reason. It would help in cases where they're just visually checking for seat belts.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couple of years back a woman was thrown through her windshield, over the overpass at Lodge and Vassar, where she was struck and killed by a car down on the Lodge freeway. Been wearing my seat belt ever since.

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 353
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Traffic enforcement ticketing people? Good! We have too many crazy drivers both on the city streets and the interstates.
However, I pity anyone who gets stopped by ex-EPU thug Loronzo Jones, who has been reported to have been transferred to that unit. You KNOW after getting to live the high life for 7+ years as KK's enforcer sidekick :-) that he must see this as a demotion, and I suspect he'll take it out on anybody he sees fit to pull over--no letting anyone off with just a warning.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one cop has been pulling people over on St. Aubin for months now.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 293
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 6:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate seat belt laws. In my opinion it should be a personal choice. Want to hear a double standard?

In South Carolina I am required to wear a seat belt even though I drive a 4,000 pound car. They are not required on school buses and even worse, motor cycle riders who do not have fender benders are not required to wear a helmet.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a similar note---

Is it just me or does everyone else see a lot more of the police since Thursday? Use to be able to go a few days without seeing any cops and now I have been seeing at least six a day.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 333
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WATCH OUT! DPD traffic cops on Michigan Ave. this AM. I saw 3 seperate stops near Livernois today. City coffers need filling. OK by me.

Gannon

Post Number: 14040
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are cruising through Eastern Market more thoroughly, too. Car came INTO the parking lot to talk with my neighbor and me while we were chillin' with some 40s on my 'back porch'...asked if we had seen anything around Sala Thai because the one officer had a hint that they would try again that night, and he thought he knew who was doing it.

He gave me his cell number when I asked him for it, and lo-and-behold at 5:30 I was awakened by smashing glass...I stumbled downstairs as soon as I could and called him, they were on-site in ONE MINUTE.

Backup car was there not twenty seconds later, and their SUPERVISOR arrived within about five minutes.

We don't even know at this point if anyone got in this time, but it seems they are ONLY stealing the cheaper liquor and leaving the top shelf undisturbed. Curious!

But yeah, it is hard to believe that the cop response is ONLY because of a new top cop and mayor...but at six in the morning these cats were all business and on the job.

Very impressed.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should make I-94 70 mph through Detroit. We all drive it anyway.

Gannon

Post Number: 14042
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now you're just STEALING money from the city...heh.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3612
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Good one. :-)

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 394
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last couple of times Downtown, I've noticed traffic enforcement up dramatically. Taxation by other means...

Gannon

Post Number: 14048
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My aunt and cousin report significantly increased policing efficiency in Corktown as well.

Something is afoot here...I've always seen that any organization operates at street or customer level exactly the same way the leader acts with those around them. I don't quite understand it, but entire organizations seem to respond to the quality of leadership they're presented.

I daresay this is pent-up goodness within the ranks that is now flowing because they are happy not to exist underneath corrupt leaders and Bully's.

Cheers!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2290
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New marching orders from the new regime.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6452
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumping, wondering whether we can verify that this is indeed a new tend.

Any new police observations lately?

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2308
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cops are walking the beat (been doing that since KK's regime) in Rosedale Park, but like Gannon I recently had a DPD cruiser stop and talk to my wife and I about crime in the neighborhood. They gave me their cell numbers as well. Haven't had a need to call for emergency purposes yet thankfully.

When the cops stopped, I mentioned the house next door that's been vacant for a while and has a bunch of construction debris laying in the yard out back. They sent a building inspector out a week later an a $3,500 ticket was issued to the slumlord from NY.

There's definately a new attitude with DPD now that the Kwamster's gone.

Enduro

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This weekend around last call I saw a lot of people pulled over south of Greektown and on Saturday night (I think) there was a marked increased presence in Corktown. Sunday evening after the Lions hilarity I heard a lot of sirens in north Corktown.

If this means a safer city I'm thrilled but if it translates to petty small traffic fines I'm going to be pretty upset. There are bigger issues than someone going 5 over the limit on a street with 2 houses. Hopefully we'll hear more stories like Gannon's. The businesses and residents could use the protection. I know my parents in Warrendale would love to see some good guys walking the beat.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1822
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw there little pre-morning in the AM, and had a acquaintance pulled over for the seat belt issue (there was a watcher car, and several cars pulling people over).

They were pulling over others on and off in Midtown, on Woodward today too. Near Mack, I think.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't the freeways in the city fall under the jurisdiction of the State Police? I though I heard something like that, which is what makes the ticketing on the freeways really interesting

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

State police have control over the entire freeway system, individual cities only have jurisdiction where the freeway flows through the city. Detroit is big enough where it doesnt matter, but for some cities it would be pointless to patrol their mile of freeway space, because as soon as they crossed jurisdicitons they would not be able to make routine traffic stops.

Enduro

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh. Where was that stop made, Sean?

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump bump

any new developments / reports out there?

Gannon

Post Number: 14073
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a week, the weed market was dry all over town.

It's back now, so no worries.

Gannon

Post Number: 14075
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another encouraging one...

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 908
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Around Cub's neighborhood we have noticed an HEAVY INCREASE in police presence in recent weeks. My wife and I noted at least 3 drive through's one night and at least 4 police vehicles on Gratiot at Georgia as we headed home one night.

After a recent incident, they responded to the scene within an hour, even though it was a very minor thing. They left us their community service number, Cub and neighbors started calling it, and they responded with increased patrols and drive bys.

A very good start to a new era if you ask me.....

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3240
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news. Finally, taxpayers are starting to get some of their money's worth.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2319
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds encouraging!, hope its just the beginning of a sustained effort accross the city, be it traffic tickets or more serious crime fighting

Gannon

Post Number: 14076
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Community Service number...I haven't heard of that before.

They should have cell phones in EVERY cruiser, so officers don't have to give our their personal numbers (which is what I think they do now, but I'm not sure)...I know I could call that one fellow that morning after we met, but even near six a.m. I had to ask if he was still on duty.

With these new walking beats around town, I've heard from one officer (many of us know) that they learn who the good people are quite quickly...since the good ones have no hindrance to stopping them to talk.

I remember the first two I saw on the east side...I pulled OVER to chat them up. It was really cool to see officers on the beat, showing a much better face to the populace than merely cruising with the windows up.

Curious POSITIVE reversal of the no-snitch policy in neighborhoods, heh.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said...

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have been running a speed trap just West of Mack on Van Dyke for quite some time now. There's a blinking red about 500 feet from the intersection in a 25 mph zone, and two cars have been pulling cars over right and left for some time now.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 909
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a good START. They still have a long way to go......

Petty crime, break-ins, drug crime and shootings need to be addressed, pronto. Then we can decide whether it is the beginning of a trend or not.

After so many years of inaction, it will take more than these actions listed here to convince me that they are actually headed in another direction. I will, however, remain optimistic.

Gannon

Post Number: 14083
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is amazing how quickly hope returns...I was talking with a few people at the Spirit re-dedication and we all agreed there is pent-up hope and desire in this town for better things.

I went out of my way to talk with the young officer who made me get down from my perch on the island, trying to get a good photo angle to the podium. Cool young fellow, extraordinarily polite, and I thanked him for it...as I mentioned our perceptions over positive changes in only the last couple weeks.

Cheers

Heya Bonger, Van Dyke runs north and south...

Lilpup

Post Number: 5230
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all of you who were crying for a 'broken windows' style approach, this is it. One of the major things Giuliani did in New York was start enforcing intersection clearances to free up the city gridlock. Yes, he may have dropped New York's crime rate but he pissed off a lot of the populous doing it.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 912
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would rather the population be pissed off then pissed on......

Too much of this kind of effort is never enough.

Gistok

Post Number: 7305
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is federal money tagged for local use for seatbelt sting operations. I do believe that many cities (Detroit included) have applied for some of this money to pay for them.

I read about this in the local paper last year, in The Shores Sentinel... that freebie newspaper that arrives weekly in SCS. Most east side communities get one of these "C & G Newspapers", that has a local newspaper name for each community from Madison Heights all the way to the far east side of Detroit & Grosse Pointes.

Gannon

Post Number: 14093
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another good report for you, Monahan568!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.