Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Global warming skipping Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3673
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wdetfm.org/article/ summer-of-08-not-so-hot/

This summer’s weather was as close to normal as it gets in southeast Michigan. WDET’s Pat Batcheller reports.

Meteorologist Bill Deedler of the National Weather Service office in White Lake keeps track of the region’s climate. He says the average temperature this summer was 70 degrees…just a half-degree above normal. There were four 90-degree days in Metro Detroit…well below the average of 12. And not including this month’s flooding downpours…the amount of rain was just a drop above average. But Deedler says some areas were a lot wetter than others. “

Detroit averaged a good two inches below normal…but then you go up around Flint, they averaged around normal, and then Saginaw averaged two and a have inches above normal.”

Deedler says history suggests we’ll have a wetter-than-normal autumn based on the amount of rain we’ve had this month. Fall begins at 11:44 Monday morning.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3479
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't say this is evidence of global warming skipping Detroit... but this wasn't a very hot summer for most parts of the northeast and Great Lakes region.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3616
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the rains actually brought Detroit City Airport 1.5" above average.

Oh, this belongs to a whole different topic, but Global Warming my azz! It's all BS (IMO).

(Message edited by DetroitRise on September 21, 2008)

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 346
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You seem somewhat knowledgeable Detroitrise, but the only one I really trust on weather-related matters is Urbanize. I'll withhold judgment until I read what he says.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that since we have been experiencing global cooling, the fear-mongers are preferring to call it "climate-change" instead of "global warming".

That way , when the temperature goes up or down or if it rains or not, the Industrialist American Empire can still be blamed for the problems of the world.

Remember, back in the late 70's or early 80s, Newsweek was talking about the coming ice age.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7765
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since this state is going to have a wetter than normal autumn, then by Winter this state is going to have a EL NINO type climate. There would be more rain by early December, a late white snowy Christmas. A quick sub freezing thaw in January more snowy weather by late January thru Late February. By March more rain, less snow and very quick sub-freezing temperatures with a cool start by early April.

For winter storms it would be 1 for late December,3 for late January, 2 for February and 1 for March.

Providence
Username: Providence

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Farmer’s Almanac is actually predicting a cooler year ahead, and possibly continuing for the next ten years or more. One of their methods of prediction is the measurement of sunbursts, which is considered to be fairly reliable.

One thing to remember is that Global Warming is a theory, not a fact. History shows that more heat in the climate results in increased CO2 levels, not the other way around. So there is a good chance CO2 levels will also drop in the coming years (although this wouldn’t be immediate – the oceans, the earth’s biggest producer of CO2, would first need some time to cool and therefore vent less CO2).

By the way – I don’t mention this to dismiss environmentalism. I believe in it as a very important cause. But I think a lot of resources go into researching/proving Global Warming and doomsday theories, when they would be better spent on things like less dependency on non-sustainable resources, air quality and humanitarian efforts. Right now, those things piggy-back on Global Warming when they should really be their own causes.

If things do continue to cool down, I would expect “Global Warming” to very quickly begin a low-key disappearance from environmental discussions. The “green” trend probably has a few years left, though.

I for one will gladly welcome some moderate Michigan summers and snowy winters!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8743
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like one of those snows this winter that brings everything to a halt. Nobody can go to work no matter what. Spend the morning shoveling, wait for the plow to come by and push the snow back into your driveway, then go inside for some cocoa and a free day off.

Providence
Username: Providence

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too! I hate it when the weather people label an incoming snow storm as "bad news". Not for me! Just let me grab some firewood, first. And while I'm at it, I may as well get my skis sharpened, too.

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gorebal Warming is a way to get big grant money. Check the Almanac's to see what has happend in the past. what do you think 100 year storms mean? You can not peg these recent hurricanes on GW. Don't you think if there was such a thing, GW would have happend in the 70's with our poullution of the air and water? Now the lakes are cleaner, air is not that poulluted, etc. China & Russia need to check themselves and help the world out with getting rid of their non regulated poullution. Help Mother earth out

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.