Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Don't know much about history... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 368
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...don't know much about security....

Digitalvision writes in another thread,
quote:

Security is the foundational stumbling block to the city of Detroit. Improved security helps education, investment, neighborhood building - it's so foundational, as without security, you cannot have much business. Security is the foundational stumbling block to the city of Detroit. Improved security helps education, investment, neighborhood building - it's so foundational, as without security, you cannot have much business.

I know many suburbanites who would be more open to doing business here, investing here, maybe even moving here, if crime were under control. Is the crime problem a function of our fiscal problems in the city? Or are the political issues that get in the way of a complete "crackdown on crime"? Or as a third possibility, are the suburban perceptions of Detroit crime overblown?

I'd like to learn...
YPD

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 764
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, yes and yes.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6264
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree; a little from column A, a little from column B, and a little from column C. I'd also add social issues as an issue that are probably much more important than the political issues, which can be rather easily changed depending who's in office. But, to note, while crime must be brought down because it's the right and only thing to do, there are many other so-called 'successful' cities with rampant violent crime.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.