Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Would you want your child to attend your former school(s)? « Previous Next »
Archive through September 23, 2008Ltorivia48530 09-23-08  10:53 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO...both my elem. school and high school are now closed. The neighborhood elementary school was ok, good teachers, etc.. My junior high was a brand new building, whose roof leaked constantly so we had to dodge buckets in the hallways. Redford H.S. is closed now, but wasn't good way back then. ( my dad went there too, and he was born in 1923 )Some violence,neighborhood getting scary, old buildings, ( and teachers ). I don't feel it was a good education.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Pontiac and the schools were great then, but now parents in Pontiac (who care) are sending their kids to West Bloomfield mostly. My best friend is a Pontiac schoolteacher who sends her daughter to WB.

I actually left Pontiac because I didn't want my kids going to school there. They did one year and we left.

It's just not like it used to be in terms of quality, and I won't even go into the degradation of the city itself.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Church seems to be abandoning, as quickly as it can get away with it, that part of its mission. Almost like it doesn't care about us anymore...

I don't think that the RC church has running schools as a mission - especially not schools for children not in the church.

An interesting note: Ken Cockrel is a 12 year product of St. Florian school (now closed). He is not catholic. Its nice that the church had that sort of contact with him - but his children do not attend catholic schools (I'd bet).

Crosswordgirl
Username: Crosswordgirl

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

swingline, it's not about detroit schools making the Forbes list. have you looked at the rate of crime, national testing scores, etc. for detroit? in addition, the truth is that when you are a white person, you are generally looked at differently when you visit detroit neighborhoods(and i don't mean downown). i grew up in detroit in the 80's and when i return to see my old neighborhoods, over half of the homes are boarded up or burnt out and i see people dealing openly on the streets. i still work in detroit and am told by clients that they don't trust white people. im not saying that such an attitude is wrong or right........im saying that's what it IS. would i like to see it change? of course. have i worked to make that happen. yes. but I would never let my child catch the holbrook, woodward and chene bus like i did.......i remember being mugged myself back in the day. suburban schools aren't perfect and crime exists in suburbs as well. but there is no comparison.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TammyPio,
Glad to hear that there is still some diversity at Gesu. I grew up on parkside just blocks from the school and have many fond memories. My father still attends church at Gesu. My one problem I had with gesu when I was there in the late 80's was that they thought the best thing to do was to put all of the white kids in the same class and make it a predominantly white class and have one class that was all black. That was how sister stella worked it back then. My dad adopted a 2 year old from guatemala I am going to suggest either trinity or gesu to him for her. What grade do you teach?

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would send my kids (dont have any) to east detroit public school but. When i was in school there it was not a great place maybe okay (1997 grad). If i had an option i would send them to a better school district.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't afford to send my hypothetical kids to the schools I attended before college, but in theory, heck yes.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. I went to school in Highland Park and my daughter goes to Waldorf.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 809
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbred....you and me both; my alma mater - Mackenzie - is closed & shuttered tight.

Toward the mid-1970s, Mackenzie was turning the final page on a very tumultuous chapter in its history. I was in attendance from 1973 until 1976; thankfully, a good number of qualified/competent classroom teachers and administrators were still on the payroll.

Special praise is owed the Mackenzie athletic coaching staff; I'd have never graduated without their patience & guidance.

Furthermore, let the record show that I enjoyed the sports rivalry between our two schools!

I say...Hail to your Redford & Hail to my Mackenzie - the memories will live forever.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors
I teach first grade and am beginning my 17th year of doing so. We also have a preschool program for children aged 2 1/2 (if potty trained) to 4 (until ready for kindergarten. We have an all day kindergarten program.
One of our teachers adopted a little boy from Guatemala two years ago and he is in our preschool....so your little person would feel right at home.
Gesu has changed A LOT in the 17 years that I've been here. I worked under Sr. Stella and know that she probably had good intentions...but yes, that was a very strange idea.
Please come and visit us...I think you'll be pleased.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck, football games at Redford are some of the nice, happy memories from my high school days! Beautiful fall days like this one......makes me sad and happy at the same time, so much has happened in my life since those more simple times.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 814
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbred....ain't that the truth!

Football games at RHS had a collegiate-vibe; same thing with swim meets - tough competition...made everyone perform at a higher level.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck, as I recall, Redford and Mackenzie always had good, competitive teams. Even when my dad went there that was true. I also remember some tough games between Redford and Henry Ford...there always seemed to be a fight after those! Ah, the Good Ole Days.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

quote:

Now just getting out of there and home without any physical damage is the primary goal of most students.

quote:

But the answer is .... no way!••• Columbus and Denby in the '50s were great, but I wouldn't risk their life or mine going around there now.

Thanks for the insight. Not really.

Think about it. No one claims that these schools or their neighborhoods should make the Forbes Best list. But these kinds of ignorant and exaggerated comments do nothing but promote the toxic racial and city/suburban divisions in this region. People who harbor and declare such false claims of constant violence S. of Eight Mile are a huge part of the problem this region faces when it tries to beat back national stereotypes and portray itself as a vibrant, creative and satisfying place to live.

Yeah, stereotypes die hard when they're based in fact.

denbycrimemap

OK, no one was killed in the last 30 days in the 1/2 mile around Denby. Just some assaults, robberies, burglaries, and what not. That's great. So how do your kids like going to Columbus and Denby, Swingline? Or are you more of a "do as I say, not as I do" type of parent?

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i graduated denby in 75. it was beginning to go down hill then - was still considered not bad, but the teachers were beginning to have their problems. my 2 boys, 21 yrs old is finishing his last year at the naval academy and youngest 19 goes to tn tech. both say that their private school experience was a help to get them where they are now. so, no way would i have wanted them to go to denby.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 815
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468_laing....my sister's son graduated Denby, in 1993.
He had relatively few good things to say about the school; on the other hand - he really doesn't have any unpleasant memories.

Flash ahead to 2008 - the neighborhood is not so good; bullet holes in/around sister's front porch offer stark testimony. Immediate neighbors have been there long as my sister has - dating back to middle 1980s.

Tell 'ya what: Heilman Recreation Center is looking real nice

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Borgess Class of '84, photo taken 09/83....

Ggores

Post Number: 393
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and ahhhh... the graduating Kindergarten class from Samuel Gompers, in Brightmoor, 1971. Kay folks, I am done with the pics for now. But those girls... man, were they MEAN! Heh heh.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2584
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only one of the three secondary schools I attended is still open, and that is Cody, which I did not like the semester I went there, so no, I wouldn't sent my progeny there. Wayne State was great so that gets my vote. OU and OCC were fine, too.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1834

That's really kewl! Was that at a reunion?

-In reference to the "84" picture.

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on September 23, 2008)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores, I'm in that picture!

No the pic was not at the reunion though it might be on the CD.

Note: just checked the CD, it was the first thing on it.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on September 23, 2008)

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on September 23, 2008)

Ggores

Post Number: 394
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Sean, that was our photo and we were called outside on an arbitrary day in early September to snap the shot, and there were about twenty kids "missing" that day. I happened to be there, though. The list of "not photographed", at the end of our yearbook, still cracks me up. I am up around the tip of the 4, along with my ... ummm... bud. Very hazey days. We brought gasoline to the reunion a couple years back! :-)

Ggores

Post Number: 395
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D'planner, yes, it wouldn't surprise me. \m/

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 641
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the same catholic elementary school that both of my parents did (St. David's), at least through 4th grade. In fact, I even had the same first grade teacher my Dad did!

Earlier posts spoke of the decline of catholic schools. My Mom blames Vatican II for the decline of the city of Detroit. Apparently one of the reforms of Vatican II was that catholic schools were going to have to pay their teachers some reasonable amount of money. And with this higher pay, some schools had to close. When schools closed, the neighborhoods went with them.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline: Yes I’m white, and the Denby / Columbus area is mostly black. But to equate concern for one’s safety with racism is quite stretch. You can deny it all you want, but the Denby / Columbus area is a high crime area, and I wouldn’t want my grandkids around there if the neighborhood was 100% white. I used to occasionally drive through the old neighborhood until I stopped at the old Cunningham (no longer a Cunningham) drug store at the corner of Houston and Hayes one day. Most of the people in the store didn’t mind that I was white, but I did get a couple of looks conveying the very clear message that I did not belong there and I better leave if I knew what was good for me. So racism cuts both ways…. I understand that bitterness resulting from hundreds of years of oppression can’t be washed away overnight. Obviously I can’t feel it, but I can understand it. And I’m not going to pretend that just because the voters passed Ward Connelly’s Michigan Civil Rights Initiative that everyone is equal. As a matter of fact I still support Affirmative Action because nobody can convince me that someone who grew up having to attend substandard schools, such as Columbus and Denby, has the same opportunity as those from some of the (white) suburban schools. I feel for those who have to live in dangerous areas and attend substandard schools, but putting my grandkids in the same danger and schools would do nothing to improve the situation.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up near Denby & attended Wayne Elementary. Fortunately, we moved to GPW where I attended Brownell & then on to GPN. Most of my friends that remained in Detroit attended Bishop Gallagher. Now, we're in the GP district & my kids go to Monteith (which we love), but are slated to attend Parcells then GPN which I hear is not so great anymore.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only if I could pack a knife, gun and brass knuckles in their lunch bag!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 661
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468_laing, did you know Cathy Meier or Linda Fler?

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468 Laing,

I grew up on Laing between Yorkshire & Grayton. Are U still living there?

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 267
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Possibly my elementary school (Gompers) if it is doing well academically and socially.

H(*&&*^*&*Y NOOOO to my middle school (Harding). My first encounter with lower-income Whites. Not pretty.

I'd send my children to Renaissance.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 609
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would except one graduated 2 yrs ago and the other is in an alternative high school. I work in the district she attends and see no major problems with some exceptions.I got a tour of my old 1-8 school 2 yrs ago, it was bigger yet i,d say i liked it better then.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.