Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Spirit of Detroit 50th Anniversary Ceremony Photos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fully restored and looking great... the ceremony was also fantastic. There is a whole new vibe and energy (a good one) in the city of Detroit.

Anyone else go?

http://www.detroitstockphotos. com/Production/PhotoGroupView. aspx?pbid=4&msa=0&pgid=1906204 9&ipp=128&sort=0

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 817
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sg_creative...Looking Good.
(What a super-nice day too)

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember or possibly have any photos of the incident where someone painted footprints going from the Spirit of Detroit, across Woodward, to the statue of the nude woman in the reflecting pool in front of what was then the Michigan Consolidated Gas Building at One Woodward? Is she still there? I worked in that building for a number of years, and recent photos make it look like the pools have been filled in, and I don't recall seeing the statue.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the statue is still there

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When was that, if you recall?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14127
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seventies...Jams knows the guys who did it, I'll see if I can track him down. He's been unpacking and last time I spoke with him hadn't gotten his internet working.

I think he's having fun sorting through life after his move!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3251
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the incident, but don't remember when exactly it happened. So I'll take Gannon's word for the time line. :-)

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 280
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A foreign friend asked me today about the sphere with rays in the left hand, symbolizing God. Has God often been represented that way, or was this something unique to Marshall Fredericks? It's a nifty sort of space-age element in an otherwise traditional sculpture. Neither books on public art in Detroit nor an Internet search revealed a ready answer to this question--what'd he have in mind? Where did he get the idea? Anyone know?

(Message edited by texorama on September 26, 2008)

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2604
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To many here and around the world, Detroit is a black city. Yet the spirit of Detroit is a white guy.

Guess, it is kind of like the Belle Tire guy is white even though tires are black.

think about it.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit News claims the Jolly Green Giant's footprints were painted in 1982, but I remember the story from when I was a kid in the 60's.
http://info.detnews.com/redesi gn/history/story/historytempla te.cfm?id=159

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 227
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sj, the Spirit of Detroit is neither black nor white.

The dude's green!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.