Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Why do Detroiters care so much about UofM football? » Archive through August 31, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 328
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never understood this. No, I am not a Michigan State fan. No, I am not anti-Michigan. In fact, I have a family member currently at UofM, and I love visiting Ann Arbor.

Both newspapers, the local TV and all the sports radio talk have TONS of Michigan football talk year-round, to the point where the local pro teams are often ignored. Why?? Can someone please explain this??

1. College football is minor league football.

The best college football team would be crushed by the worst NFL team. Preferring college football is like preferring the Mud Hens over the Tigers.

2. We have an NFL franchise.

All the other parts of the country where college football is big (Nebraska, Oklahoma, Alabama, LA, Austin, Columbus, etc.) don't have NFL teams.

3. Michigan isn't that good.

Yes, they have an amazing legacy, but they haven't been elite for quite a few years now. They are not considered top-20 this year by the vast majority of pundits, and are not considered competitive for the Big Ten title.

4. Michigan is in Ann Arbor, not Detroit.

Ann Arbor is traditionally not part of the Detroit metro, and even today, it's a completely different world. It's only very recently that some people started considering Ann Arbor as part of Detroit metro.

5. Michigan football is boring football.

Michigan has traditionally relied on a bruising running game and sold D-lines. There have been some amazing skill players, but that isn't Michigan's bread-and-butter.

6. Michigan crowds are corporate and docile.

Have you been to Michigan Stadium and Spartan Stadium? I have, and there is no comparison. Spartan crowds are MUCH louder and more involved in the game. Michigan crowds are wine-and-cheese, and the game appears to be an afterthought compared to the social/networking aspect. I have also been to Ohio State. Now THEY are crazy, even crazier than Spartan crowds.

7. Metro Detroit does not have that many alums.

I think this is the strangest part of their Detroit-area support. Unlike Wayne State, MSU, Oakland, Eastern, Central, etc. Michigan grads tend to leave the state in very large numbers, and you probably find more Michigan grads in NYC, LA, Chicago, etc. than in Metro Detroit, yet for some reason I see Michigan fans EVERYWHERE.

Why would you support a University for which you have no affiliation?? I am confident there are far more Wayne State, MSU, Eastern, Oakland, etc. grads in Metro Detroit, yet all these schools combined probably have a fifth as much sports press/sweatshirts worn/public perception as Wolverine football.

Please explain???

(Message edited by crawford on August 30, 2008)

(Message edited by crawford on August 30, 2008)

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably because U-M's football team has a higher national profile (and significance) than Michigan State or the Wayne State Tartars (umm, err... I mean GO Warriors!).

People tend to root for whoever is (perceived as) winning at the moment. If the Lions were doing decently, I'm sure there's be a helluva lot more fans. And when Michigan State is doing great in the rankings, I notice more green & white sweatshirts being worn around the Metro area.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 346
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up supporting whichever Michigan team, U-M or State, was doing well that year. I didn't have a special allegiance to U-M or State. It just seemed to work out that Michigan was more consistently the better team than State. I believe support for Michigan football goes hand-in-glove with the failure of a winning pro team in Detroit. Detroiters want and crave a winning football team. If you notice, there are many Lions fans and/or former Lions fans, that have adopted another city's pro team as a backup or a replacement, for their hometown pro team. That being said, my prediction for the Lions this year, as in every year under Ford's management, is that they will disappoint their fans. It's a shame, since Lions fans are, like the Cubs fans, are such long-suffering loyal fans.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are New Yorkers so fond of Notre Dame? It's close enough to be a Michigan team.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 508
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's so much better than rooting for the Detroit Lyin's. That's why.

Mrnittany
Username: Mrnittany

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone loves a winner, and U-M has been the most successful local (state of Michigan) football team for a long time running now.

There are TONS and TONS of U-M football fans in Metro Detroit with no real connection (student, alum, family, etc ...) to the school. Which I have no problem with.

But I will say this: these same fans (the ones w/o the "U-M connection") seem to go out of their way to rip and disparage other institutions, even about their academic quality. Hey, I'll admit, U-M is a better academic school than my alma mater (Penn State), but it's annoying to hear trash talk about a place I love from people who are simply along for the ride on the U-M bandwagon.

This trait is UNIQUE to the U-M fanbase in my personal experiences: I've lived throughout MI, OH, and PA, and have not seen this from Michigan State, Pitt, or yes, even Ohio State Buckeye fans.

(Message edited by Mrnittany on August 30, 2008)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 360
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

um, something about a large number of Michigan alumni working in metro Detroit perhaps?

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 424
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just in: Sports unimportant.

If we, as a nation, devoted our time to something other than watching football every weekend, America would be a much better place to live.

Try tuning out for a while, folks.
It'll do you and your families a load of good.

P.S. You don't KNOW most of those people running around in tight pants, grunting in the grass.

So why on earth do you pretend to care so much about these perfect strangers in familiar colors?

(Because they attend your alma mater? Good reason. Good reason.)

This goes for the pros, too.

Forget about sports for a while, broaden your horizons, and try reading a book (one that's NOT about sports).

If that doesn't work, try flyin' a kite.

(Message edited by HarperNottingham on August 30, 2008)

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe because people can root for whoever they want?
It may be possible ya know.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 3784
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listening to Michigannnnnnnnn Michigannnnn on the radio while playing football in our front yards solidified it's powerful influence...in every state I have lived in, it's the youth who wear the colors of the hopes and dreams of playing for or going to the state schools....that is why so many people love MICHIGAN football and why today has been very hard....I miss Carr already....Go Blue.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 489
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just like there fight song. There program isn't that great, but Bo was the main reason I watched.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5311
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because there are a preponderance of Michigan alumni and/or followers of their athletics in the Detroit area. Newspapers and TV news are there to sell advertisements, so they talk about what there is a demand to talk about. Michigan State also receives multiple pages in each weekend newspaper, for the same reason: there are many (if not more) MSU alumni/fans in metro Detroit. We're a sports-obsessed society, that's just how it is.

It seems like your position is that UM football gets more press. Well, they are a high profile school and team, with an amazing tradition and they generally play on a nationwide stage. People either care about what is going on with them, or care about seeing them lose because they hate them for the aforementioned reasons.

Thus, again, they are in the newspaper (which needs to sell ads) a lot.

And the Lions suck. And right about now people stopped caring about the Tigers (just like in the 90s).

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I root for Michigan because my Dad got his dental degree from there in 1954, the year I was born. He rooted for U of M football despite the fact that U of M made it very difficult for blacks to attend the professional schools back then. If he could root for them, then I could too. Also, much better to follow a Big 10 school than whatever conference WSU was in, my alma mater.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3579
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Utah 25 UM 23. There is no joy in the big house tonight.

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

College football is different than the NFL. Sure the players aren't as good as NFL players, but that does not make college football the same as the NFL but worse play.

I think i know a lot more people who like college football than the nfl.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 397
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maize and Blue? Cool color?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good grief Harper (and Crawford). Didn't you have Soc 101? Any social science at all? Concepts of group identity, in-group/out-group, cohesion, and escapism sound familiar at all?

Really? No idea at all why sports matter?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3524
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford & Harpernottingham, I agree. :-)

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 184
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit media covers it because people like it. When people like something, they'll tune in if you talk about it. Pretty simple.

Crawford, what are your hobbies and interests? I would like to make a numbered list about why you should not like them, then have you defend it.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 611
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harpernottingham,

Some of the book readers and kite flyers (yeah really I've met plenty of them) need to also do something else and go watch some sort of organized sport. They might meet someone at the game and broaden their horizons as well. At the same time, they tend to support local establishments by dining or shopping before and after the game. Jeez America could be a lot better....

...not being being mean..just saying a balance of everything is always good...

(Message edited by wolverine on August 31, 2008)

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's because of the tradition, success, and proximity to Detroit. Also, U of M have significant rivalries that tend to actually matter nationally more often than not (Notre Dame & Ohio State). Also, I know plenty of U of M graduates in Metro Detroit. In addition, cheering for a winning college team takes away the sting from having the Lions.

But I don't really think it's because Detroiters think the school is more closely tied to the metro area. I see a lot more Michigan State coverage in basketball because they have a better tradition & success in that area.

And I think watching sports is fun. Teams come to represent our region and our thinking in many ways. It may not be the best thing to constantly wrap oneself in sports. But it's just a form of entertainment. Plus, it allows us to go to war with others and not have negative side effects like bloodshed & death :p

(Message edited by Zug on August 31, 2008)

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...hmmm...maybe bloodshed every now & then. (I thought about hockey, lol)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4996
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan Football hasn't had a losing season since 1967.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 425
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I played organized sports for years. Even coached football and still play some baseball, even at my advanced age. After nearly 40 years of following the exploits of virtual strangers, I've turned over a new leaf. What can I say? I'm a slow learner.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2510
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Michigan Football hasn't had a losing season since 1967.

Since 1984, 6-6 is a losing record.

They did a story a few years ago about allegiances to UM and MSU. I can't remember the results but it seemed to me it was mostly green.

Also Michigan came to dominance when that replaced MSU on the radio as the dominate football program in the area. Of course even that ended a few years ago as they switched back.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 505
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my simple take. Americans love football, we love the fast pace, the battle-like play, and athleticism that most of us could only dream of. In college ball there is more at stake then a win or championship, it’s your school pride, your identity. Pro ball is fun to watch but there is no loyalty anymore, especially with Brett Farve bailing after all those years. At least college ball attempts to be about the "sanctity of the sport" and not about the all mighty dollar. (We all know that's not the case though) Michigan just happens to be that team which has always been strong; people like to root for a winning team.

I root for U of M because I graduated from there in 2004, when the real "Mitch’s" was on the corner of South U and S. Forest.

I also root for MSU, where both of my little brothers attended. (For me Mike Hart's comments on MSU last year were spot on)
Michigan fans are everywhere; my wife and I are U of M alumni Club members in Honolulu.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's my dad's fault, too. He graduated from the School of Engineering in 1943, and every year, the family would go to at least 1 game. When I was living in Seattle, I called dad during a Rose Bowl when Washington was laying waste to U of M. He wouldn't talk to me.

Don't know why people who didn't go to a school root for them. When I lived in Colorado Springs, it was a BIG thing when the Air Force Academy beat Notre Dame. Now that I'm in the Pacific Northleft, the Washington/Washington State rivaly (GO COUGS!) is as intense as anything I've ever seen.

Myself, I'd gladly root for Eastern Michigan (BBA '71) if 1) they ever have a winning program again and 2) they become The Hurons.....

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4997
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"6-6 is a losing record"

only in a loser's world

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2513
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.500 is not a winning record, so therefore it is a losing record.

BTW, Brett Farve didn't bail. Green Bay forced him out.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 434
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.500 is not a losing record, so therefore it is a winning record.