Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Broken Streetlight Solution: Solar « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article below notes how Baghdad overcame a problem along the lines that the city of Detroit has, which are streetlights that don't work consistently.

They went ahead and installed solar-powered streetlights. I see a multitude of benefits, and with a mayor that has a green initiative they should seriously consider this, even if it may cost a bit more money because the fact they'll be more reliable, and then you wouldn't even need to buy power from DTE, etc. you could ditch that dinosaur of a power plant Mastersky and the city can focus more on core functions.

http://baghdadbureau.blogs.nyt imes.com/2008/09/08/solar-powe r-lights-baghdads-streets/

Here are the benefits (and I know there are drawbacks, like replacement batteries, but if you buy in bulk those costs can come down).

1) No more wires for scrappers to scrap, unless they get a cherry picker (not that I don't put it past them).

2) No more electricity bill. I don't know if it offsets the initial cost, but helps (some public works geek on here might know that number).

3) Even more importantly, less maintenance cost. Standardize everything, so it's all parts that are interchangeable. If it's a standalone system, if it's broke, you know it's a problem with that pole.

4) Ability to work even in disaster. Even if the grid goes down, unless the pole itself is directly damaged, the streetlights are still going to work, as they're off the grid.

I don't necessarily think they should tear out existing lights, but as lights need replacement (and a lot in the city do), do the new solar deal. Even better, retrofit the current poles to keep costs down.

(thanks Mortgageking for jogging my memory that the City generates it's own power).

(Message edited by digitalvision on September 23, 2008)

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that Detroit streetlights are powered by Detroit Power and Lighting, not DTE, so that's probably pretty cheap power.

I do like the reliability idea; its a lot harder to scrap the top of a pole than the bottom.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 391
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm skeptical that a solar panel would be able to maintain enough stored energy in a battery to provide meaningful street light - especially after a span of several cloudy days with long winter nights.

I was going to run some calculations, but Peter Hochstein of Relume Technologies (of Oxford, MI - the company that did Ann Arbor's LED retrofit) states:
quote:

Unfortunately, solar street lighting isn't practical. That said, if one were to intermittently turn on the street lights a few hours a night, [on an occupancy basis] solar charging might work.

Total average solar flux is on the order of 1 KW per square meter. Affordable solar panels convert only 12 -15% of that energy into electric power that can charge batteries. If we assume a 1 square meter solar panel [~$ 1000] is attached to each street lamp pole and can collect sunlight for 6 hrs. per day, we could store about 600 Watt-hrs of energy - after charger / battery losses etc. In some parts of the U.S. [New Mexico] we might be able to power a 60 Watt street light [not much light] for around 10 hrs. with the stored power.

The problem is that for most of the U.S. we have at LEAST one cloudy day for every sunlit day - making the proposition impractical.

(from http://www.ecogeek.org/content /view/414/)

Solar panels just don't produce a lot of power even under direct sunlight. The up-front cost is enormous. Long-term maintenance remains an issue (broken panel repair, battery replacement).

I'd love to see the street lights replaced with LED lamps, similar to how Ann Arbor did recently. That seems to have panned out well. It could also solve the copper problem - as the LED lights require significantly less current over thinner wires, providing much smaller incentive for copper scrap.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1906
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have several solar lights at my house. Some do a great job. others don't. I suggest staying away from the amber tinted leds.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't this already happening over in Corktown?

Wait, they did both, I think... anyone happen to have a quick link on their desktop to that article?

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on September 23, 2008)

English
Username: English

Post Number: 824
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The article below notes how BAGHDAD overcame a problem along the lines that the city of DETROIT has..."

I got that far into the thread and winced. Not about the topic, DV, but the fact that the article compares the problems in an American city to those in a combat zone. And the combat zone found a solution first.

Ouch. Just *ouch*.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2636
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the combat zone it getting all of those tax payer dollars to rebuild from the ground up while we aren't. I like the LED idea though, it sounds like something someone in the know should look into for the future.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 872
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The federal government cares about its combat zones. Its cities, not so much. I'm sure this makes sense to some people.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English, no. Just no. When you are looking for ideas, you look everywhere. You never know when something great is going to come, it just does. It's how our minds work.

DV probably read that, and thought; "how could we use this". Who cares where it came from? Why even say that? Take it as the all to often irony, or take it as a message to get moving to move us out of that comparison.

Anyone ever wonder what would have happened if one of histories war tyrants invented the car, or light bulb? Would we still use their ideas? I'm just thinking, how much has been lost because someone burned all the books to keep their precious ego in tact.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.