Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Chrysler: Surprise, we have electric cars too « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8735
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.reuters.com/article /ousiv/idUSTRE48MBE020080923

quote:

The planned 2010 launch of an electric vehicle would put Chrysler in a race with its larger rival General Motors Corp (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), which plans to roll out the all-electric Chevrolet Volt in November of that year.

In addition to electric adaptations of its popular Chrysler minivan and its best-known Jeep model, Chrysler also said it was developing an all-electric sports car that takes direct aim at the $109,000 Roadster from privately held Tesla Motors.

The lightweight Dodge EV, being developed with Lotus Cars Ltd, is designed to jump from zero to 60 miles per hour (97 km per hour) in less than 5 seconds and run up to 200 miles on a single charge. The plug-in hybrid also is expected to undercut the Tesla electric sports car on price.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The look of the new electric roadster has me questioning whether or not the Viper nameplate was ever seriously on the auction block.

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if they were keeping viper, wouldn't their electric roadster be a viper, not a lotus?

something doesn't sound right about this. the chevy volt is expected to cost $40,000+ and the biggest cost is the battery. The van and jeep that chrysler is talking about achieves about the same performance of the volt, but only by using a battery pack almost twice the size of the volts. are we talking about a $75,000 minivan? that won't work.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8736
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler, like the other auto companies, are looking for a government loan. The loan would be given under the pretense of refitting factories to build fuel efficient vehicles. I'm not sure whether to believe they have any practical plans for plug-ins, or whether this is simply a publicity stunt so they aren't left out of the running for govt assistance.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10401
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah but they want taxpayer money to help them build it.

"When asked what it would take to bring electric-drive minivan production to the Windsor Assembly Plant, Tom LaSorda said: "Maybe the Canadian government could look at what the U.S. is doing."

LaSorda was referring to a funding package to help the U.S. auto industry -- including $25 billion in low-interest loans -- which was proposed by the Bush administration and is working its way through Congress. Auto industry executives in the U.S. have called the package necessary to ensure the health of the auto industry."

Funny, I don't see the foreign companies needing this so why do the domestics?

http://www.canada.com/windsors tar/news/story.html?id=47fd57e 6-f8d7-4aba-966e-6973b703a902

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Funny, I don't see the foreign companies needing this so why do the domestics?

They don't need it. The foreign companies already get this from their own governments. The Japanese, Chinese, Korean, European, Australian and Indian governments all heavily subsidizes new vehicle technology and production facility development. They all consider Auto manufacturing to be one of the top industries to pull them out of the developing world and into the first world.

With the US car sales in the tank all of those regions will be pumping huge amounts of money in to keep their car industries afloat as their number 1 export market continues to flounder.

Ednaturnblad
Username: Ednaturnblad

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait until we all drive electric cars and have a coal-burning power plant in every neighborhood to support the demand for all the extra juice...I know my new Chrysler Electo-DeLuxe will be just the thing to save our planet! Not to mention all that lead and mercury goodness in those batteries! Folks, the space-age is now!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3255
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EVs ? You want EVs ? Gee - all three companies happen to have 15 year old working designs ready to go.

How did this happen ?

http://www.sonyclassics.com/wh okilledtheelectriccar/

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hands down Chrysler is the best car on the road. I have driven Toyotas and Hondas, but lately both of their quality has been very sub-par. I recently traded in my 07 Camry for an 08 Sebring with the my gig radio. The Sebring whooped the Camry's ass! Chrysler has the best styling out there and while I could a rat's ass about the environment (because global warming is a fabricated myth with no scientific proof), this should appeal to all the hippy-tree-hugging-organic food eating-Al Gores of the world

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2591
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They don't need it. The foreign companies already get this from their own governments. The Japanese, Chinese, Korean, European, Australian and Indian governments all heavily subsidizes new vehicle technology and production facility development

You are delusional if you think the Big Three have not gotten the same level of support all these years. Stop trying to make excuses like the other have advantages you don't.

quote:

Hands down Chrysler is the best car on the road. I have driven Toyotas and Hondas, but lately both of their quality has been very sub-par. I recently traded in my 07 Camry for an 08 Sebring with the my gig radio.

Wait until your Sebring leaks like a sieve, (mine did at 3 months, just got it back). Or your 300 has engine, transmission, brake(x3) repairs under 30,000 miles and you will be singing a different tune.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5591
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SJ, the foreigners dont get breaks IN America as well? VW just got $600 Million from TN...that count?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.