Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » AT&T Internet Services hiring for Detroit call center « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry if this was already posted. I didn't see it anywhere when I scanned.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080923/BUS INESS06/809230308

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14128
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not yet, this WAS curious news, wasn't it?

AT&T coming back on-shore for their call-center.

I love it, and it is for their internet services, too.

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AT&T acquired SBC laid off all their call center workers (union) because they would not take a pay cut (in most cases 1/2). Now that the tide has passed (3 yrs) there back and I wonder what the hourly rate will be.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i looked into getting a job there and the hourly was around 11 or 12 an hour.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 476
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$11.00 an hour now. Wonder what the union paid for a starting wage, before they moved to India?

I'm qualified to do this job, just not willing to drive quite that far.

We used to have a AT & T call center in Flint. Too bad Detroit gets all the work. Great for you guys, bad for Flint.

I don't know what it's going to take to get some jobs up here. We have lower hourly pay rates, on the premise of "getting jobs in the area". We have had lower wages forever. I don't know why more companies don't seriously look a little more north.

Flint is home to four colleges and for a city of a little more than 100,000 that is really something to claim. We have the talent. Heck, everyone has some kind of degree up here. I just don't get it.

Thanks for letting me sound off on a non-Detoit issue. I feel better, though still poor.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently tried to call and order U-Verse, and got the most unhelpful person on the other end. She was trying to help other folks, and not answering any of my questions or worse, was telling me things I knew were wrong.
It's pathetic. I didn't order anything.
Penny wise and pound foolish.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3254
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

11 stinking dollars.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 597
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They need to make call centers a telecommute job. This would save travel time and gas. Call center staff can do everything via software. They don't really need to be onsite.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7310
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of got that backwards... SBC (HQ'ed in San Antonio) purchased AT&T, and then took on the AT&T name. They (SBC used to be known as Southwest Bell) had previously purchased 3 of the other "Baby Bells" (Ameritech, Pacific Bell, and Bell South).

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2586
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AT&T is union, these are union positions.

There was an article a while back where they planned over 5,000 of these jobs but are having trouble filling them.

$500 a week for a script job with benefits is better than most will find.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8854
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of my in-laws have had all sorts of grief with the U-Verse. It took AT&T over a month to figure it out a simple install. Granted this was during the initial roll-out of the system but it still shouldn't have taken over a month to correct it. If their experience is any indication fo AT&T's service, they're going to need a zservice center near by!

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The government stipulated in part of AT&T's approval to allow it to buy back Bell South that it bring back 5,000 outsourced jobs from India- hence, all the sudden new positions in Detroit.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I blame Granholm.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7311
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing irks me more that to call a company's (any company) help desk or support services, and to hear someone with a Bengali accent say "My name is Kevin, may I help you"... :-(

Kevin my ass... it's an insult to ones intelligence when these people are assigned American names... as though they're supposedly located nearby...

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you people don't want to work for 11 dollars an hour, then you must not need a job very badly.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'd gladly take $11 an hour down here in the land of $7 per hour, and they act like that $7 is doing the employee a major favor.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

300 - 400 new jobs downtown...

Wonder what businesses will benefit in that vicinity?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3621
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^None. That part of downtown is a total wasteland.

-MGM is self-sustainable
-DTE is self-sustainable
-The Leland is crap

Perhaps the only plus would be that Transit center & more bus riders.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6282
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really do try and steer away from looking at the comments on newspaper message boards, but the comments I saw concerning this story were exceptionally racist, xenophobic and nativist. I know it's a bit off topic, but I can never get over why papers even allow commenting on stories given the dialogue or should I say echo chamber. I can't tell you how many times I counted someone making some snide-assed remark that to work at these jobs you have to be able to speak ebonics, and that callers will have to learn to translate. ugh...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.