Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Todd Jones announces Retires « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cushkid
Username: Cushkid

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Todd Jones has finally announced what we all figured.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yo urturn/viewtopic.php?t=462319

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No surprise there. He did ok with what he had. What we have left makes him look even better.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Todd Jones, Matt Millen, Kwame Kilpatick all in a week.

It shall rise from the ashes!

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 404
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Todd Jones was a piece of the 2006 Tigers' puzzle that came together in such an unexpected way to garner the team a berth into the post-season only three years removed from, arguably, one of the worst teams ever.

I hope people would focus on the success and good times provided by Todd Jones success, and not dwell on a frustratingly difficult season they just had. After Jones went down to injury this season, they really had no closer. Rodney has two pitches and the hitters would just sit on one or the other. You saw what a team looked like without an established effective closer as they blew so many games once it was turned over to the bullpen in the late innings.

Todd Jones is a class guy who went out every day and gave his best. It's unfortunate that only the most recent games of blown saves seem to stay with us. I think he's one of the Tiger greats.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is also the Tigers' all-time leader in saves...by a very large margin. His contributions to the organization are for greater than his failures.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 405
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Todd Jones was an integral part of the most dramatic game I ever saw played at Tiger Stadium the last month of it's final season. It was such a great game that, although I had the opportunity, I made it my last trip to the old ballpark. I wanted it to be my final, lasting memory of Tiger Stadium.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 370
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The team Prankster He always seemed to have that fun loving twinkle in his eyes.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 12324
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Todd Jones, Matt Millen, Kwame Kilpatick all in a week.

Not really fair. Todd Jones was at the end of his career but he always was and is a stand up guy.

Kwame is a scumbag and Millen isn't much better. The comparion is unfair.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's definitely a class act. Today he treated all the front office employees to lunch in the Tiger Den, plus he's never ducked an interview.
He saved the last game at Tiger Stadium and the first one at Comerica Park.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.