Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » The transit meeting « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm astonished at eight o'clock at night, that none of my fellow DYers has posted anything about the transit open house? The first one was today, was it not?

If the Prof has time after visiting the open house tomorrow, he will post something - but hopefully someone else will have beat him to it by then.

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Professor. I have been to many of the TRU, light rail and other mass transit-related meetings in the past. I wanted to go to the meetings, but all four of them are 4-7 on days in which I'm still in class. I am curious too what was talked about. I look forward to hear from you if no one else soon. :-)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to try to go to the one in Detroit, this October.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the open house as a citizen. It I was hoping to see a presentation of the plans. There were very helpful people there to answer questions and lots of visual aides, but no presentation.

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DP, actually the posters and such are the presentation, and as a whole they constitute the plan. Rather than force people to show up a specific time and sit through a slide show, they decided to spread it out around the room, open house-style, and let people take it in at their own pace, and ask one-on-one questions as needed.

Next one is in Ferndale, this Thursday:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/156476.html?1222209933

(Message edited by transitrider on September 24, 2008)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why Private as opposed to government? What are the neagtives and positives of both?

I havent' researched the complexities of the issue, but seems like it would be a relatively cheap-practical way to get around.I have a hardcover book; Detroits Streetrailways: 1863-1922. The book features a very detailed history of street car transit,with maps and early pictures..

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why Private as opposed to government? What are the negatives and positives of both?

I havent' researched the complexities of the issue, but seems like it would be a relatively cheap-practical way to get around.I have a hardcover book; Detroits Streetrailways: 1863-1922. The book features a very detailed history of street car transit,with maps and early pictures..

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 777
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why private?

The reason is because cities like Livonia will not pay without state funding and there is no mass transit leadership in Lansing at all. Absolutely none.

Hopefully, people will get out and vote in honest people who truly represent the needs of the people as opposed to filling their pockets up.

We had two state leaders at our city hall during the debate over SMART and they both did nothing to protect existing mass transit and funds.

In addition, the transit advocacy groups were there with much hype and false propagandas which turned off many voters.

Thus, I'm demanding a return of state transit money and Livonia, if I can get supporters. I'm just not interested in paying for street cars on Woodward or the AA rail without a good bus system. It's like buying a car and having no gas. It just will not work because there will not be enough riders to justify to costs.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.