Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Diabetic Man Mistaken for Drunk Driver and Beaten » Archive through September 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080922/NEWS02/ 80922045

from the Freep:
A diabetic Detroit man was mistaken for a drunken driver by Allen Park and Dearborn police, and brutally beaten to the point that he had to have part of his brain surgically removed, the man’s wife and their attorney allege.

Ernest Griglen, 59, has been comatose and on a ventilator since the June 15 incident, said attorney Arnold Reed of Farmington Hills.

This is truly sickening. How do we stop the madness of police brutality? This gave me a horrible flashback to Malice Green (may he rest in peace).

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3283
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn't the first time I've heard of this. We need a column called "(Who the) Police Beat".

Original63
Username: Original63

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More of the same.

This is all part of the UnPatriotic Act.

The Police now truly act with immunity and impuinity to the law.

This is a true Legacy of Conservatism.

Criminalize the people and build the jails and they (police) will fill them.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beaten with what? From the article is sounds like he suffered damage after being tackled after running away.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the complaint he was thrown headfirst into the ground.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"According to the complaint he was thrown headfirst into the ground."

Unless someone witnessed this happening it sounds like the above comment is just a theory put forth by the attorney. It's been reported that the man has been unconscious ever since it happened.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3287
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, he's been unconscious since he met the police? He was probably just beggin' for it then.

Man, ever notice how people do all sorts of dangerous stuff and somehow live, but the minute they come into contact with police, all of a sudden they're lunging or going for a candy wrapper and forcing the police to shoot, beat, strangle, suffocate or taser them? Man, if police were a PRODUCT, the Surgeon General would put a warning on them. :-(

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

According to the complaint he was thrown headfirst into the ground.

quote:

OfficerBrown said she called for back-up and turned on her lights and sirens when Griglen continued northbound on Southfield Road. When he finally pulled over just south of the Ford Road exit, Griglen put his hands on the hood and wouldn’t answer Brown when she asked him why he wouldn’t stop, she wrote. And when she told him to put his hands behind his back to be handcuffed and arrested for fleeing and eluding, he locked his arms then started to run when Dearborn Police back-up arrived, she said.

Officer Brown reported that she grabbed the back of Griglen’s shirt to stop him. Brown and two Dearborn officers then wrestled him to the ground, she reported.

DL, this sounds like a terrible situation, but to paint the arrest of the poor man as a beating seems out of line.

This is when dash-cams come in handy. I think I'll reserve my judgement until I see the video evidence.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3288
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Running from police? Sounds like good enough grounds to be thrown headfirst to the ground so hard you have to have part of your brain removed. Anybody who says otherwise must hate law and order and wants to give criminals free rein. :P

_sj_

Post Number: 2575
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the coma due to the police or his hypoglycemic episode. We don't know for sure.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 389
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've watched enough episodes of COPS to know that engaging in a vehicular chase, followed by resisting arrest and then attempting to run from the officers will usually result in you ending up face-first into the ground.

It doesn't sound like they realized he was a diabetic until well after the struggle, at which point he was taken to a hospital.

I'm not blaming the victim here, but based on the facts given by the police officers, it sure doesn't sound like he was completely innocent.

But I guess it's possible it's just those damned po-lice lookin' for a reason to beat up on some innocent disabled guy who was on his way to rescue orphans and kittens.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 390
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Running from police? Sounds like good enough grounds to be thrown headfirst to the ground so hard you have to have part of your brain removed. Anybody who says otherwise must hate law and order and wants to give criminals free rein. :P

I'm pretty sure the minute you decide to struggle and make a break for it you've given up your expectation of being treated gently. There's such a thing as too much force, but on the other hand, if he was struggling, it could certainly have required some force to contain him.

I'm not necessarily siding with the police on this, but I think that it's foolish to judge the officers based on statements made by an attorney who obviously wasn't a witness to the scene...not that he's interested in any part of that $20 million or anything...

(Message edited by wazootyman on September 22, 2008)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14061
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDET just reported there WERE no dash cam video recorded.

Bullshit.

All Allen Park and Dearborn cars have them by now...

...I cannot remember the last cop car I've seen without a dashcam, even Detroit bought 175 of 'em last year.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3290
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Convenient. Too pat, if you ask me.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5225
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is the coma due to the police or his hypoglycemic episode. We don't know for sure."

Diabetic comas don't require brain surgery. A hematoma caused by blunt force trauma often does.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 722
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Falling head first into the pavement is plenty sufficient to cause the injuries reported..
I feel for this man, but his injuries are a direct result of his own actions.

True story..the last time I rode down to Georgia, a diabetic friend was along for the trip..after a very long day of riding, he started to exhibit odd behavior..speeding & weaving, not stopping until another friend and I physically forced him to do so..first thing he did when he got off the motorcycle was take a swing at me (missed) and fall flat on his face in the process..luckily he was still wearing his helmet at the time or he'd likely be in the same boat as our "victim."
After taking his meds and getting the sugar in his system into balance, my bud was okay and apologized for allowing his condition to escalate to the point it did. If he'd been on his own, he'd likely have died..if he'd met up with police instead of two friends who were aware of his medical issue, he probably would have gotten the shit kicked out of him if they managed to get him pulled over intact.

It cracks me up to see how people are more than happy to judge police on the evidence that ISN'T there while completely ignoring that which is presented. Not all cop cars have got camera units, likewise not all camera units are operable at all times. Lack of video evidence isn't damning, it's common. The cops used non-lethal force (pepper spray) to subdue this guy rather than just beat him down or shoot him..typical cop reaction to "fleeing & evading" is a LOT stronger in my experience..in my opinion this was pretty damned generous of them, given the situation..perhaps my opinion is somewhat influenced by the fact that I'm a motorcyclist, so I'm generally more worried about people who are driving so as to endanger than I am about cops who are trying to do a job.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doug, that was a very well written post, especially for being composed at 3:30 in the morning.

If the guy had a pic line for his meds, that must mean he had a pretty advanced case, right? If he was so advanced, why was he behind the wheel in the first place?

Cushkid
Username: Cushkid

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have two diabetics in my family who where either a necklace or a bracelet stating they are diabetic, these forms of Identification are not expensive and should be worn by those who have this problem.

_sj_

Post Number: 2576
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Diabetic comas don't require brain surgery. A hematoma caused by blunt force trauma often does.

However, he was in a coma before the surgery and we don't know the true extent of the injuries and whether they were self inflicted or not.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 454
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to throw this out there, is it possible the guy was drunk AND diabetic?

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a Breathalyzer test found no alcohol

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of the recent incident here at the Hillsborough County Jail. A county deputy dumps a paraplegic man out of his wheelchair, telling him to get his ass up so she can search and process him. Had her on tape telling him he wasn't paralyzed and to get the F*** up! At least down here the deputy was canned the next day. I realize that a lot of the people that the police have to deal with on a daily basis are assholes, loaded, stoned or may have a chip on their shoulder, but there are also a good many with physical and emotional problems that require a different approach. A little lumber to the melon should not be the first item on the checklist.

Jaycee
Username: Jaycee

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In this day you would think that police would use life threatning force as a last resort. I know that some diabetics can get extremely aggressive if their sugar gets to low. If you have to use force why not taser? Police have many tools at their disposal that are non lethal why not use them?

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 723
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cops say "deadly force" was never used, and physical contact was only made when officers had reason to fear for their lives.
According to the police reports, the cops used pepper spray. When the man then reached for the insulin pump strapped on his belt they feared for their lives, thinking it was a weapon..at this point the cops claim they hit him in the upper chest and back with night sticks in order to subdue the guy enough to cuff him.
This is where the police story vs the lawyer story part company.
Don't see it as much of a case..either the medical evidence will support the beating claims or it won't.
My money's on "won't."
Much fun as it is to think we live in a Nazi state where the cops ride around kicking the shit out of innocents for the hell of it, the truth of the matter is that cops have got too much on the line.
Would you risk your job and your freedom for a quick drunk-beating with no motive or profit? If not, why would you assume that a police officer would?

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Would you risk your job and your freedom for a quick drunk-beating with no motive or profit? If not, why would you assume that a police officer would?

It is not outside the realm of possibility that a rogue cop could do that for a number of reasons: being power-hungry, thuggish, violent, angry or having a superiority complex (seeing a drunk or a drug addict as a lowlife or of lesser value). In the heat of the moment, they may not consider the risk of job or freedom, or they may be overly confident that there is no risk to their job or freedom since they are the law. I think it is naive to assume that it doesn't happen.

(Message edited by Downtown Lady on September 24, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 14115
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because they are trained to up the energy in a confrontation until the subject is subdued.

Standard Operating Procedure.

Gannon

Post Number: 14116
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus, there is little 'thinking' involved when both adrenal glands are cranking out all they can...Doug, you should know a bit about adrenaline kicks.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 724
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not denying that there are "bad" cops, but I think it is naive to assume that five (or was it six?) members of two different police forces decided to go "rogue" simultaneously on a busy freeway in plain sight.

Gannon

Post Number: 14117
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They DO all have adrenal glands, and we don't know if it was just ONE bad cop and a big blue wall around him.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it interesting that five(or was it six?) members of two different police forces are needed to subdue one man. I'm not saying there was or wasn't brutality. Having had much experience with Allen Park and Dearborn cops, I'd say odds are quite high there was over reaction resulting in injuries. I also wonder if race is a factor.(Oh no, I brought up the race card!)