Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » McCrazy claims Sheila Cockrel's vendetta slashes pension « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 707
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christine MacDonald and David Josar / The Detroit News

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080925/M ETRO/809250402

DETROIT -- Sharon McPhail is alleging in a complaint to the city's ethics board that Councilwoman Sheila Cockrel -- fueled by a personal vendetta -- led an effort last week to overturn a pension board vote that allowed McPhail to boost her pension, and she's suggesting the ethics board go through Cockrel's text messages to document the grudge.

McPhail, a former City Council member and until last week former Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's general counsel, maintains that Cockrel violated the ethics ordinance by using her position to carry out the vendetta.

"A review of her personal statements will reflect one vitriolic attack after the other, aimed at me specifically," McPhail wrote in the complaint filed Monday, suggesting the ethics board go through Cockrel's text messages back to 2002 on any city-paid device.

Advertisement

McPhail had often argued that Kilpatrick's text messages, part of the $8.4 million whistle-blower settlement, were private.

Cockrel said Thursday she would respond soon to the "frivolous" complaint.

Last week, the pension board voted 5-4 to rescind allowing McPhail to use her eight years as a Wayne County assistant prosecutor to sweeten her city pension. But the pension board is still awaiting a review by a parliamentarian to determine if the vote was valid. Cockrel and others maintain that the pension boost needs City Council approval and last week asked for several opinions from council staffers on the issue.

Based on the number of years the pension board says McPhail has served the city, and her $142,801 salary, the value of her pension would nearly double to between $26,000 and $28,000, according to pension guidelines.

McPhail, who served on the City Council with Cockrel from 2002-05 and is planning to run for Detroit mayor, had no comment on the ethics complaint. She said she planned legal action against the pension board.

McPhail also filed a complaint against Kathleen Leavey, who this week took over as the interim head of the city's law department and is an elected member of the pension board. McPhail maintains, among other allegations, that Leavey conspired with Cockrel to overturn the vote. Leavey, who said Wednesday she planned to resign from the pension board because of her new post, couldn't be reached for comment on McPhail's claims.

If the board determines someone violated the ethics rules, it could take a number of steps ranging from a public admonition to referring the case to the City Council for possible removal proceedings.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3310
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, man. Batshit-crazy, jabbering out both sides of her mouth, an endless font of wild accusations. "They're all against me!" If it isn't some devious mayor implanting electrodes in your chair, it's the evil media out to get you. Jesus, lady. Get a grip. Get a clue. But, most importantly, get out of government for good.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't her former Boss, Kilpatrick, pass an Executive law that all Text messages even on City pagers are "personal Property"? That would mean McWacko can't get access, right? This woman drives me crazy. I am sick of all the Mentally Ill of the State of Michigan migrating to the City of Detroit! Someone commit this woman, already!

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 681
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitduo, and I bet the executive order that made all text messages "personal property" was at the recommendation of Mcfail.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 508
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really hate this entitlement mentality! I'm entitled to whatever I think I need. If I don't get it, I will spout out all kinds of accusations and frivilties to the public, even if it makes me look like a hypocrite, then I will threaten legal action against any and all persons/entites that get in my way, because dang it, I'm ENTITLED!!!

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, so funny and ironic how she wants the text messages searched and used NOW, when she feels its convenient for HER. And I'm pretty sure that having a personal dislike for someone means nothing UNLESS you do something illegal about it. But then, I'm no lawyer like McFail.

Wallins
Username: Wallins

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon McPhail is certainly not going to get many votes for Mayor if she continues to create a disturbance and act a fool. Has she forgotten the text messages are personal property? I think Monica Conyers is behind this latest
get Sheila Crockrel vendetta. It is just a matter of time before both McPhail and Conyers self destruct.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2595
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$1.7 Trillion and climbing, that is the taxpayer debt to cover pension and other costs to govt employees for all 50 states.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's OK. we'll just get the treasury to print the money... That's basically what we are doing today anyway, right?

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait until inflation kicks in guys. The government presses will be smoking soon enough.
You think prices are high now ... just wait a few more months.

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 340
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A very reliable source stated that Sheila and Sharon bumped into each other in a hallway when Sharon was on the City Council.

Sheila grabbed Sharon, and it was on, until the Council EPU separated them.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 609
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I cannot understand is the history of council members wanting to dust it up. This isn't the first time we've heard about a game of pushy-pushy. Don't these folks have any social skills and/or conflict resolution skills? It's like the third grade up there!

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, where is that country where the cabinet/parliament meetings always turn into knock down drag out fights? You see it on news clips all the time. The clips are always hilarious - they're all men though. They start out disagreeing and then someone flies across the room and starts punching.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't this qualify as "a danger to herself or others"? I think we might be able to get her committed now! She's batshit crazy

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6290
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrissy, there are quite a few countries where that happens, but I think that you're thinking of Taiwan.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 243
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgedodger said, "What I cannot understand is the history of council members wanting to dust it up. This isn't the first time we've heard about a game of pushy-pushy. Don't these folks have any social skills and/or conflict resolution skills? It's like the third grade up there!"

I agree 100% with your sentiment, but the skills that are lacking are more geared to pre-schoolers then 3rd graders.

Down right embarrassing.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If McPhail gets more than a few hundred votes for mayor, KK's sister Ayanna will be proven right. She is quoted as calling Detroit "...a city full of idiots..."

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bona fide nut case!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 619
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's put this into perspective...

McPhail wanted an exception made to the retirement rule. Now she's calling it a vendetta?

I find her presence in the city a vendetta against all that is good and right.

Just go AWAY!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.